• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDF - Portrait or Landscape

PDF - Portrait or Landscape

• Portrait

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Landscape

Votes: 81 64.8%

Tervin

First Post
I like to have 2 pages open at a time on the monitor, which means that portrait is preferable to me. Portrait A4 mind you. For that horrible Letter format, Landscape is a little better.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Landscape with pretty graphics for screen, portrait with simplified graphics for printing. (I really hate printing PDFs with borders and other extraneous froofras that cost a lot of ink for little actual gain.)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Portrait all the way.

You can always get a widescreen monitor that pivots :)

Plus where was the circular option, and the oval, and the trapazoid, and the octagon. and best yet the spiral? :)

cougent

First Post
I greatly prefer the landscape format for both onscreen AND printed out versions. I know that sounds weird, but it arose from a situation where we were playing on a barely big enough table, and it was the biggest we could get and still fit in my spare bedroom / game room. After several sessions of always having something covered up we finally started trying to optimize space. One of the things I did was create landscape character sheets and DM stuff. It took some getting used to using, but after the transition it actually seems more natural and flows better (for my group anyway).

I am NOT a doctor or medical person, but my eye tends to naturally flow side to side farther than 8.5 inches anyway, so why not give it that extra little space it already uses anyway? I have even adopted several items to landscape legal (14") size as well.

I have only created 3 PDF files ever, so I am not sure how much trouble it would be for publishers to reformat and do multiple styles, but I would love to see more landscape options available, like borderless B&W printer friendly versions.

Agamon

Adventurer
We seem to be seeing more and more material being released in the once-shunned landscape format. Here's your chance to sound off in a simple binary poll that is bound to frost someone's ass. Be sure to post and tell me how you wish there were more options. :D ;)

Why isn't there an option for Portscape? I prefer my PDFs to run at the diagnal. Poll = EPIC FAIL!!!!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I ran this same poll on our website and it was landscape by far. I really don't understand the preference to landscape either.

In the modern computer world of 20 inch widescreens, you can fit a LOT more on a standard portrait view with two portrait pages side by side. 11 inches is a lot less than 17. Since this seems to be the popular choice, this is what we'll go with for our products, but I still don't understand why though...

Wonka

First Post
I ran this same poll on our website and it was landscape by far. I really don't understand the preference to landscape either.

I cant speak for everyone obviously, but for me its merely a matter of personal preference. Landscape on a screen just feels right to me, and so I run with what works. Yes, with two side-by-side portrait sheets you can fit more information, but you have to make it smaller and harder to read. I dunno tho, maybe I'm just weird :)

As lots of people point out, once content is finalized for these things, I think a lot of people may think about offering up both styles. Yes its a bit more work, but it shouldnt be anything terrible, but then again i know nothing of what all it takes for placing the information and how the difference in layout would effect the conversion from landscape to portrait or vice-versa.

Kingbreaker

First Post

In the modern computer world of 20 inch widescreens, you can fit a LOT more on a standard portrait view with two portrait pages side by side. 11 inches is a lot less than 17. Since this seems to be the popular choice, this is what we'll go with for our products, but I still don't understand why though...

20 inch laptop screens?

How many of us use laptops and how many use bigBoxes?

Remove ads