• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDF preview for Scarrport: City of Secrets

Urizen

First Post
Greetings Everyone,

I've attached a beefy preview for RDP's upcoming 4th edition book, Scarrport: City of Secrets.

The document is 32 pages and contains 2 sample districts, the ghodon player race, a look at the Elementalist character class, with the entire heroic tier powers, 2 paragon paths, and one of the epic destinies.

There's a black spot in the preview. That's a placeholder for art I'm still waiting on.

I hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• scarrport preview.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 555

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wow! That is an amazing preview!

I'm not a fan of 4e but this product looks really cool. :cool:

4e fans are going to love this book.

EP

First Post
Looks good. Nice maps, nice artwork, and a good overall design. Looking forward to doing some reading.

fissionessence

First Post
Very cool big preview. The elementalist looks neat.

I see that you're using Gods of the Shroud; that's pretty exciting, too. I'm interested to watch how all that pans out. I for one am not really into those gods, mainly for the reason that they all have titles instead of actual names, but oh well.

Here are some comments based on just what I read (pretty much just the Elementalist):
Healthy Blow: Please do something with this power. Players interested can now just take a PH2 feat for this effect without taking up an at-will slot. Also, it has the wrong Target line. It should say "One creature" [I think], since it's not a burst. (Unless it's supposed to be a burst?)

Also, I have to wonder at your indenting decision. It's the opposite of what WotC does . . . and I'm not a fan of the blue for the dailies.

I love the four implements, though.

Anyway, if I ever get to play a character ever ever again, I might take a more thorough look at this, but I'm overwhelmed with options. That said, I could also use it to make NPCs . . . hm.

~ fissionessence

Urizen

First Post
Very cool big preview. The elementalist looks neat.

I see that you're using Gods of the Shroud; that's pretty exciting, too. I'm interested to watch how all that pans out. I for one am not really into those gods, mainly for the reason that they all have titles instead of actual names, but oh well.

Here are some comments based on just what I read (pretty much just the Elementalist):
Healthy Blow: Please do something with this power. Players interested can now just take a PH2 feat for this effect without taking up an at-will slot. Also, it has the wrong Target line. It should say "One creature" [I think], since it's not a burst. (Unless it's supposed to be a burst?)

Also, I have to wonder at your indenting decision. It's the opposite of what WotC does . . . and I'm not a fan of the blue for the dailies.

I love the four implements, though.

Anyway, if I ever get to play a character ever ever again, I might take a more thorough look at this, but I'm overwhelmed with options. That said, I could also use it to make NPCs . . . hm.

~ fissionessence

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have PHB2, so I didn't realize the feat you are referring to was in there, but thanks for pointing it out. We're working on changing it.

And thanks for the catch on the indent! My power-text paragraph style was setup with a first line indent, and I didn't realize it. I sort of got into tunnel vision laying out all those powers.

As for the Daily color header... I don't mind the blue, but yeah, it's not the same as the core header color, primarily because I don't know the hex code for that color. :eek:

Ahh the joys of errata.

Thanks again.

almuric

First Post
Hmm. On page 8, It's 'Torel'. On page 9, in the drawing, it's 'Torrel'. And in the text it seems to be 'Torrell'. Need a proofreader?

'Raph Tonsilflare'? I like it, but is it supposed to be a comedic setting?

"If you wish to have your ghodon character become a ranger, change the racial +2 Constitution bonus to Dexterity or Wisdom in order to maximize her potential."

What? No way would I allow that. Why not let everyone just do the normal point distribution then give everyone +2 to two stats they want.

Why is 'Healthy Blow' a Constitution attack? Having a tertiary skill as the attacking stat seems cruel. Who would ever take that? Even if you evened out your stats and started with an ok Con, when/why would you ever raise it?

These are just things that jumped out at me in my quick lookover. Overall, it looks ok. I like the artwork. You definitely need a proofreader - too many examples to list. Not something I'd run, but definitely better than some other stuff I've seen out there.

Last edited:

Urizen

First Post
Hmm. On page 8, It's 'Torel'. On page 9, in the drawing, it's 'Torrel'. And in the text it seems to be 'Torrell'. Need a proofreader?

It's getting a thorough proof. This is a preview of the content, but it's not completely finished. thanks for those catches though!

'Raph Tonsilflare'? I like it, but is it supposed to be a comedic setting?

Erm. I suppose it could be comedic if you want it to be comedic :)

"If you wish to have your ghodon character become a ranger, change the racial +2 Constitution bonus to Dexterity or Wisdom in order to maximize her potential."

What? No way would I allow that. Why not let everyone just do the normal point distribution then give everyone +2 to two stats they want.

It's just an option. The race is designed to work with the existing racial modifiers, and most people will use the existing racial stats as is. Others might go "hey, this guy would have been be a little cooler if only he had a bonus to X."

I'm just offering options and pointing out possibilities.

Why is 'Healthy Blow' a Constitution attack? Having a tertiary skill as the attacking stat seems cruel. Who would ever take that? Even if you evened out your stats and started with an ok Con, when/why would you ever raise it?

Healthy blow has been revised, because of some other issues raised by other posters.

It now looks like this:

Healthy Blow Elementalist (All) Attack 1
With the force of your body, you strike with your weapon.
At-Will • Elemental, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature.
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier, and you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifer.
Special: If you satisfy the the condition of your elemental connection class feature, you instead gain temporary hit points equal to 3 + your Constitution modifer.
Special: This attack counts as a basic melee attack.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

These are just things that jumped out at me in my quick lookover. Overall, it looks ok. I like the artwork. You definitely need a proofreader - too many examples to list. Not something I'd run, but definitely better than some other stuff I've seen out there.

Thanks, and, we're working on getting these issues taken care of. The book is still in layout. I can't complete it until a couple more pieces of artwork come in, so I'm going through it and combing the text again.

Last edited:

fissionessence

First Post
I like the new healthy blow; I'm not sure it should be a basic attack, but it's much better than the previous version.

As for the race having the option of changing its stats . . . I think this is a good idea. It will rub some people the wrong way, but I think it's a good step toward solving what many to be a problem: races only working well with small subsets of classes. Giving the races and/or classes more freedom without just ripping out the rules (in the cases of some house rules ideas I've seen) I think is good.

~

Remove ads