• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDF vs. Hard Copy

D24Gamer

First Post
Hi All!

I am thinking about selling my wrestling card game as a PDF, in addition to selling it in print. The dice rolling mechanic is based around a d24 die, so players will have to order that separate. I guess I have a couple of questions:

1) I can sell the game substantially cheaper as a PDF, but will piracy be a major issue?
2) Do you feel that having to buy the d24 die separately will cause people not to buy it (I know a lot of gamers don't have a d24 on hand).

Thank you!:)

steenan

Adventurer
Piracy is only a problem for very famous games. People who will pirate your game probably wouldn't buy it anyway, so you lose nothing and gain some free advertising (if they like it, they may come back and buy later to help you make more). So you don't have to worry about it.

But requiring a d24 is a problem. It would probably make me ignore the game completely, unless I heard very good things about it from several friends. Hunting for an exotic dice that I won't use for anything else wouldn't be worth the effort.

Can't you modify the game to use normal dice (preferably d6 only, unless your target group is a subset of RPG players)?

D24Gamer

First Post
Hi Steenan,

Thanks for the reply. I actually developed a modification system today, so you gave me a great idea!
I am currently selling a hard copy of the game, but I'm waiting to complete my 10 posts before I can post it in the "new releases" section? I'm hoping that is the correct one. I really do like this forum, lots of feedback and great resources.

International shipping, and domestic as well, adds quite a bit to the game (20% or so). My thinking is if folks can download and play it as a pdf, it will get it out there, and greatly reduce the cost; making it more accessible for all.

Also, you made some excellent points about piracy etc.

Thanks

Jhaelen

First Post
I have to agree with Steenan, requiring a d24 would be a no-go for me (although it's rather easy to emulate using, e.g. a d6 and a d4 or a d12 any any other die). I'm also wondering why a card game needs a die at all. Or is this similar to Summoner Wars or Mage Wars rather than, say Yomi?

D24Gamer

First Post
The game does require a d24 die to determine which of the 24 moves that the wrestler is going to
use. It is also used to roll versus their scale rating (also based on a 24 scale) to see if the move
is successful.

I have figured out a modification system so players can use a d6 instead of the d24 (it would mean
one extra roll of the die on each turn).

Would this make a difference in your interest for the game (the modification scale and the d6).

I am getting ready to post the game on the main forum as an intro.

Thanks

Jhaelen

First Post
The game does require a d24 die to determine which of the 24 moves that the wrestler is going to
use. It is also used to roll versus their scale rating (also based on a 24 scale) to see if the move
is successful.
I see. This makes me wonder one thing, though: What kind of decisions do I get to make during the game?
If the move and its outcome are determined by dice rolls - what's my job in the game besides rolling the dice?

Looking over your description, I realize this isn't a card game at all. It's all about rolling the dice, right?

I don't want to sound overly critical, but I would have expected to be able to at least choose my moves from a limited subset:
To keep a factor of randomness, you could group the moves into categories (e.g. throws, counters, kicks...) or group them on a 'risk' scale: low difficulty, low damage vs. high difficulty, high damage.
Make four such move categories, then roll 4d6, one die for each move category and pick one of those moves.

Obviously, I've never tried your game, but I do have some expectations from playing games with a similar theme, e.g. the before-mentioned Yomi.

In case you haven't hear about Yomi: It basically uses a poker deck and your hand determines the moves available to you. Each card represents a basic move and you can combine them to achieve greater effects.
It also uses a rock/paper/scissors principle to compare the move you play to your opponent's move (moves are chosen simultaneously) to determine the effect and degree of success.

Last edited:

D24Gamer

First Post
I see. This makes me wonder one thing, though: What kind of decisions do I get to make during the game?
If the move and its outcome are determined by dice rolls - what's my job in the game besides rolling the dice?

Looking over your description, I realize this isn't a card game at all. It's all about rolling the dice, right?

I don't want to sound overly critical, but I would have expected to be able to at least choose my moves from a limited subset:
To keep a factor of randomness, you could group the moves into categories (e.g. throws, counters, kicks...) or group them on a 'risk' scale: low difficulty, low damage vs. high difficulty, high damage.
Make four such move categories, then roll 4d6, one die for each move category and pick one of those moves.

Obviously, I've never tried your game, but I do have some expectations from playing games with a similar theme, e.g. the before-mentioned Yomi.

In case you haven't hear about Yomi: It basically uses a poker deck and your hand determines the moves available to you. Each card represents a basic move and you can combine them to achieve greater effects.
It also uses a rock/paper/scissors principle to compare the move you play to your opponent's move (moves are chosen simultaneously) to determine the effect and degree of success.[/QUOTE

You bring up some great points. I think, in essence, the game is a combat simulator. However,
players do get to make certain choices:
1) You have three pin attempts when playing the advanced version---so you choose when you're
going to try and pin the opponent.
2) Foreign Objects/Weapons: You can decide whether to use a chair i.e., but you may be
disqualified!
3) You can try to exit the ring, have a wrestler attack--from the Sneak Attack chart.
4) When you're in a cage match, you can attempt to jump off the top of the cage with an aerial move.
5) In tag moves, you decide when to tag, and when to try and break a pin/submission so that you
don't lose.
These are just some examples, but the game is not totally roll based (though it does rely on it as
primary mechanic). Does this make sense?

Asmor

First Post
I don't see how any of the d24's properties are inherently better for your system than any other die. As far as I can tell, it's used to look stuff up on a 24-item table, and to make simple die rolls.

Why not just refactor everythying to use a d20?

D24Gamer

First Post
I don't see how any of the d24's properties are inherently better for your system than any other die. As far as I can tell, it's used to look stuff up on a 24-item table, and to make simple die rolls.

Why not just refactor everythying to use a d20?

The thing is, we have already released the game, and marketed around the d24 concept. But you are correct in that there is much difference (just a shorter lists of moves, and adjusted ratings).

When we initially began making the game, a marketing firm advised that the d24 would stand out and
make us different from other wrestling games.

But you are correct: you look at the move list, roll versus the wrestler's rating (contested in advanced play), and see what happens.

The d24 is a lot more expensive than a d20 or d6 though.

Most wrestling games that I've played (tabletop) are simulation based. I haven't encountered one that is choice oriented.

But I do have a chart that would modify the d6 to make up the difference.

Can anyone help me get the game published on the press release page? Or get me to someone
who can?

Remove ads