• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PE: Assassin Spoilers

tyrlaan

Explorer
Very complicated for an Essentials product. But then its probably not intended to be a "beginner" class.

So different from the previous (and in my mind cooler if weaker) assassin it should be its own class.

I don't think class means what it used to with the advent of Essentials. Since each build can more or less be so drastically different from the next, your build becomes your effective "class" in a sense.

So now all class means is a label that allows you to meet the requirements for feats, powers, paragon paths, and epic destinies. Personally, I'm okay with that.

Oh, and thanks to TarionzCousin for the well wishes for my head reconstituting.

I'd also like to humbly request that DDI 2.0 extend coverage to cranial detonations. Mr. Mearls, I'm looking at you.

Scribble

First Post
I don't think class means what it used to with the advent of Essentials. Since each build can more or less be so drastically different from the next, your build becomes your effective "class" in a sense.

So now all class means is a label that allows you to meet the requirements for feats, powers, paragon paths, and epic destinies. Personally, I'm okay with that.

It seems like WoTC has taken the "stance" that class is more a description of a theme, and then the other aspects morph and shape that theme into a whole, and ultimately determine how the theme in each case interacts with the rules.

I like that- A lot actually.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
To me, Essentials is trouncing the original class design of 4E (up to and including PHB3 material).

This new direction is sooooo much better. What I really like is all the fictional explanations for the powers - there's a paragraph dedicated for every power and ability describing what it means in the actual game world.

I love it. I may be an Essentials-only DM afterall.

ggroy

First Post
martial and primal to be honest... ;)

For other possible 4E "Essential-ized" classes, guesses could be:

martial + divine defender -> paladin
martial + arcane striker -> warlock-hexblade

primal + divine leader or controller -> druid ?
martial + primal striker -> ranger-scout ?
martial + primal controller -> ranger-hunter ?

martial + arcane defender -> swordmage
arcane + shadow controller -> a necromancer school for wizards
martial + divine striker -> avenger
martial + psionic defender -> battlemind
martial + psionic striker -> monk
arcane + psionic controller -> a "psionic" school for wizards ?

Zieche

Explorer
I think I'm going to stick with the DDi assassin. I really liked the concept of a killer picking up any weapon that he needed and making it deadly via his ki focus and shadowy powers. Looking at all this at wills that require specific weapons is definitly a turn off.

Walking Dad

First Post
I think I'm going to stick with the DDi assassin. I really liked the concept of a killer picking up any weapon that he needed and making it deadly via his ki focus and shadowy powers. Looking at all this at wills that require specific weapons is definitly a turn off.

Nitpicking: What makes one a DDi assassin and the other not? Both are (for now) exclusive DDi classes.

And why did they shy away from hybrid classes like they first wanted for the druid, but introduced hybrid as multiclassing option and now hybrid power origins (essential assassin) and multiple roles to one class (essential fighter)?

Klaus

First Post
Keep in mind that the executionar assassin can use Dex for melee basic attacks. He wants to pick up a fullblade, he can use a melee basic attack and slap on the encounter damage. He just gets *extra* weapon-dependent at-wills.

Remove ads