• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Peaceful Discourse: So what have you changed your mind about so far?

DonTadow

First Post
What have you changed your mind on from this 5e fantasy discussion? I find it funny that things I would probably have been set against I have opened my eyes to accepting as either okay or not a bad idea or brilliant over the last 7 days.

What about you? What have you had a turn around on?

DonTadow

First Post
Things I've changed my mind on from strong arguments

• The idea of having only 3 classes instead of 4
  • The idea of roles (if only used as optional helpful templates) for dm and player characters
  • Defenses for saves and abilities
  • The Vacinan system - this was the most interesting for me, in that a lot people posted research material that has led me to believe that DND has never really done it justice. A modified system with a handful of spells that scale sounds like a good use of keeping Vacinan but not requiring over 100 options for wizards.
  • 3 Core player boks with levels of play. I was against this based on cost. But I guess for initial cost, if you'r just playing a light game 20 bucks insnt bad. I'd hate though that it may cost some 50 to 70 bucks for a advanced game

I'm pretty sure there are other there are others

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've traditionally argued against WotC taking all their old material and creating PDFs of them to then sell to people, because I've believed that if there was a true, sustainable and profitable market for them, they would have done it already. Basically, I've always argued that the people working at WotC weren't complete idiots, despite so many other people saying otherwise.

However, now with the idea of 5E and the possibility of newer gamer not only learning about the "older games" but in many ways getting to actually experience them within the 5E rules (plus all the old schoolers possibly transitioning to the new game themselves if it suits their fancy)... coupled with the idea of making a subscription to DDI the gateway to acquire those PDFs... I've come to believe that the market might open up enough and the profits from all the new DDI subscriptions profitable enough to make the PDFs of old edition material possibly worthwhile and useful.

darjr

I crit!
I've gone from thinking that this was a wonderful idea, an edition for all D&D styles, to thinking they must be crazy, to thinking that maybe it's possible.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
To be honest, I don't come into this with my mind set any particular way, so no 'change' yet because it is all absorption and consideration at the moment.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I've been more interested in the principles of the design than the particulars. I can't change my mind on the particulars, because it was never firmly set in the first place. I have seen several things that had not occurred to me that fits right in as a possibility, but they are more expansions than replacements.

I can't say that and if where I changed my mind on anything, but I like being able to talk more openly about likes and dislikes, flaws and advantages of systems than before. The "Edition War" feeling overall lead to too much staleness, but now there is a certain flow of creativity and introspection going on that I have missed for a while.

Beolveig

First Post
Originally I wanted 5e to be a retro clone of 1e and 2e with a splash of 3e, but now I would like to see something new (albeit with the spirit of old school ad&d again). Although I despised 4e primarily because the only thing that changed with leveling up it seemed was the names of the monsters and having to buy different minis. That being said, 4e has some good qualities that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to see in 5e. For the love of God, please no skill challenges though.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Honestly, not a great deal. I wasn't active during the early 4e era, so I missed the height of warring. I'm just now trying to articulate my ideas on what makes a good game, what the problems are with the existing ones, and how to fix them.

I have seen some interesting proposals, but I always knew they were floating around out there so I wouldn't say I've changed much, more became active.

Last edited:

Remove ads