Pearl of Power

Clumsy Bob

First Post
As I see it pearls of power give a little back to the spell casters who hav to prepare their spells. At low levels spell casters will struggle to afford these items, but as your caster level increases being able to cast a few more low level spells is a boon to the entire party.

Bob

Thanee

First Post
Take a look at the psionics crystal capacitator (basically the same thing for psions), now that's cheap (same cost and WAY better)!

We have silently agreed to not overuse those Pearls, I mean, someone could buy loads of them (if the money was there, of course, mainly low-level ones). So far we never had more than a single one per caster.

Bye
Thanee

bret

First Post
Also keep in mind that the pearls require a standard action to activate. This usually prevents them from being used on combat spells.

Still, it is great for cure spells and buff spells.

Here is a rather odd question:

If a good cleric spontaneously converts a Daylight spell into a Cure Serious Wounds, which spell do they keep if they then activate a Pearl of Power for 3rd level spells? The Cure Serious they cast, or the Daylight they converted?

mkletch

First Post
bret said:
Here is a rather odd question:

If a good cleric spontaneously converts a Daylight spell into a Cure Serious Wounds, which spell do they keep if they then activate a Pearl of Power for 3rd level spells? The Cure Serious they cast, or the Daylight they converted?

Good question. The spell that was 'lost' was the Daylight, so Iwould vote for that. Otherwise, it detracts from the cleric's spontaneous conversion; something I don;t like to see from items that are otherwise 'beneficial'. The pearl would give more flexibility that way, since you could recall the non-cure spell.

Compare the cost of making the pearl to the cost of making a scroll of the same level. Even in the short run, it is a pretty good bargain. In the long run, the benfits are enormous.

-Fletch!

Pbartender

First Post
Um... You guys do realize that the required Caster Level for making a Pearl of Power is Level 17 (!).

From the SRD:
For other magic items [not potions, scrolls, and wands], the caster level is determined by the item itself. In this case, the creator’s caster level must be as high as the item’s caster level (and prerequisites may effectively put a higher minimum on the creator’s level).

Regarding the cleric spontaneously casting...

"Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it hadn’t been cast."

I'd say he gets the original prepared spell back. He can always convert it into another Cure spell, if needed.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Pbartender said:
Um... You guys do realize that the required Caster Level for making a Pearl of Power is Level 17 (!).

No. This is a common misinterpretation of the (poorly-worded) section of the rules that you cite. Caster level is not a prerequisite unless it's listed under the "prerequisites" section. That's what that section is for.

Last edited:

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Pbartender said:
"Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it hadn’t been cast."

Strictly speaking, this would mean that if you spontaneously converted a spell to a cure spell, you couldn't use a pearl of power to recover that slot. It doesn't qualify as a spell you have "prepared and then cast."

Not that I'm necessarily arguing that it be adjudicated that way. Though I don't think it would be any great hardship if it were taken literally either.

Darke

First Post
Ok, a question:

How do u use them?

Is it a standard action or ..?

Take a look at DMG 176 where under use activated item the pearl appers and where it says it's enough to have them with you.

?

das Darke

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Darke said:
Ok, a question:

How do u use them?

Is it a standard action or ..?

Take a look at DMG 176 where under use activated item the pearl appers and where it says it's enough to have them with you.

?

das Darke
Read the whole section. It is enough to have the pearl on you somewhere, like in your belt pouch, for you to use it. But you still have to activate the item and this always takes a standard action unless the item description says otherwise, and it does not. The next example is a ring of invisibility. If it is on your finger, it will work, but you still need a standard action to "turn it on."

Remove ads