• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Penalty for debilitating headaches?

Laurel

First Post
So my current PC gets these horrible debilitating headaches that strike at random. I have gone back and forth mostly with myself and also through the d20 modern forums on how to achieve this. I am playing in a Sidewinder type d20 past campaign, and we are using flaws. I tried this route, but as quite a few people from ENWorld and my DM pointed out there were big issues with getting-- the right feel and rules and mechanics and not over working the DM with crazy things-- all to balance.

So would anyone recommend another option?

I am fine with having it be a straight penalty, with no positives. My original idea was:
Inopportune Migraine: Anytime a 5 or lower is rolled on the dice the character is incapacitated for 1d4 rounds and can only make a single move action. This effects all rolls for attacks, skill checks, and saving throws. If a one is rolled on the attack roll a second roll is still required. If it is determined a critical miss, the normal penalties still occur above the incapacitation.

But this again balance wise doesn't quite work.

I know I could just RP it, but there is something about being in a battle or middle of that important conversation and having it strike. For some reason to me that seems more real and cool.... I could also just say okay she has a headache now, but don't think I could have that be a killing effect... whereas the dice might roll it that way.

Hopefully my DM will chime in, but let me know any ideas you may have!

Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I don't quite understand what the problem is. Why doesn't it work balance wise? Would a penalty of, say, -4 to all d20 rolls work better?

Flavor wise, I would think it unusual for migraines to come on so quickly, and depart so rapidly, but I don't know if that's what makes you dissatisfied.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Yeah, you might want to lessen the penalty and increase the duration. First thing each day, have the character roll and on a 5 or less, they're due for a headache. Have the GM secretly roll d20 for the number of hours before the onset, and d4 for hours of duration (assume 8 a.m for time check is made.) Effects might be -1 or -2 to all d20 rolls for the duration. Perhaps on a roll of '1' for the daily check, the sufferer might also take d4 INT or WIS temporary damage. If the migraine strikes while the character is asleep, he will be fatigued the next day instead.

(In your initial description, it's not clear when your check is rolled. Or even what dice ;) )

Laurel

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
I don't quite understand what the problem is. Why doesn't it work balance wise? Would a penalty of, say, -4 to all d20 rolls work better?

Flavor wise, I would think it unusual for migraines to come on so quickly, and depart so rapidly, but I don't know if that's what makes you dissatisfied.
Part of it was the timing factor. Since a round represents so short a time frame, it seems even more odd that she would have them and then they just disappear.

The most unbalancing part of my option was the chance %, and the heavy extra load to the DM anytime my PC had to roll this.

Yeah, you might want to lessen the penalty and increase the duration. First thing each day, have the character roll and on a 5 or less, they're due for a headache. Have the GM secretly roll d20 for the number of hours before the onset, and d4 for hours of duration (assume 8 a.m for time check is made.) Effects might be -1 or -2 to all d20 rolls for the duration. Perhaps on a roll of '1' for the daily check, the sufferer might also take d4 INT or WIS temporary damage. If the migraine strikes while the character is asleep, he will be fatigued the next day instead.

(In your initial description, it's not clear when your check is rolled. Or even what dice ;) )
I like the idea of switching things around having it last longer vs. massive penalty.

The when I was going for were the three big ones- any attack roll, any skill check roll, or any saving throw, so it would be a 1-5 showing up on a d20.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

genshou

First Post
Sir Brennen said:

Where were you when we were writing about this in the first thread over in the d20 System/OGL forum?

This is the best idea I've seen on it so far. Any given day for me has about a 25% chance of a migraine, and the rules for onset and duration make things more interesting.

I also like the idea that a character is fatigued when they awaken if the migraine strikes while they are asleep.

But if I were to apply this to a character and wanted to keep things "fair" for them, what would be an equivalent boon?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'd say that on a 5 or less you are susceptible for that day, and you know it. If you rest (in a dark room, most likely) you can avoid the attack of migraines. Each d20 roll you make that day (skills, saves, attacks) has a chance of triggering migraines. Maybe a 10% chance per roll, and each failure adds -1 to the penalty to all other rolls?

Each point of penalty is treated as a point of ability damage as far as healing magic is concerned. So if you are at -3 and a lesser restoration cures 2 points, you are at -1.

As for a benefit, I would give them some kind of heightened senses on days they are susceptible. Aura sight or something similar. Or maybe you can sense alignments (detect evil/good/law/chaos). Or see invisibility. But this benefit disappears if the migraines are treated with magical healing.

genshou

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
I'd say that on a 5 or less you are susceptible for that day, and you know it. If you rest (in a dark room, most likely) you can avoid the attack of migraines. Each d20 roll you make that day (skills, saves, attacks) has a chance of triggering migraines. Maybe a 10% chance per roll, and each failure adds -1 to the penalty to all other rolls?

Each point of penalty is treated as a point of ability damage as far as healing magic is concerned. So if you are at -3 and a lesser restoration cures 2 points, you are at -1.

As for a benefit, I would give them some kind of heightened senses on days they are susceptible. Aura sight or something similar. Or maybe you can sense alignments (detect evil/good/law/chaos). Or see invisibility. But this benefit disappears if the migraines are treated with magical healing.
Oooh, that's an excellent idea for fantasy campaigns! I know that when *I* get a migraine, my senses are very enhanced.

These rules are of particular interest to me, because this is something I would like to apply to Evendur from my story hour. I'm thinking along the following lines for a benefit that makes sense based on the specific drawback (instead of choosing any random benefit, this one is related to migraines). Let me know what you think of it:

Inopportune Migraine
Each day at dawn, the GM makes a d20 roll in secret. On a result of 1-5, the character develops a migraine at some point that day. The migraine does not occur for 1d20 hours. The character begins to sense the onset of the migraine when one hour remains ("Oh, great, I feel a migraine coming on"). Every time the character enters a stressful situation (any situation that would prohibit taking 10), uses a spell or spell-like ability, or similarly exhausts their mental energy, they must make a Will saving throw (DC 15). The GM should make these saves occasionally when there is no actual risk of migraine, in order to keep the player clueless. If the save is failed, the remaining time until onset is reduced by five hours plus one hour per additional point by which the save was failed. For example, Evendur is slated to suffer from a migraine in 12 hours. He is attacked by bandits, and the GM rolls a Will saving throw against the DC. Rolling a 12, his result is 3 points below the DC, so the time remaining is reduced by 8 hours to a mere 4.

When the time remaining drops to 0, the character suffers a migraine for 1d4 hours.
He suffers the following penalties:
• Fatigued, or if already fatigued, exhausted. If already exhausted, the character blacks out until the migraine wears off.
• -5 penalty to all Int checks and Int-based skills, as well as Concentration.
• Every time the character attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability, they must first succeed at a Concentration check (DC 10 + Spell Level).
• -2 resistance penalty to all saving throws against damaging or deafening sonic effects.
• If the character hears a sound with Listen DC of -5 or below, he must make a Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 1 round. The DC necessary to trigger the stunning effect goes one point further into the negatives for each increment of range (so, a sound 50 feet away only triggers stunning if the DC is -10 or lower).
• Light blindness as a drow elf.
• Vigorous motion (including being engaged in combat) causes the character to become nauseated for the duration of the triggering motion and for 1d4 minutes thereafter.

For all its penalties, having a migraine can be particularly beneficial in some circumstances:
• +4 to Spot checks and +10 to Listen checks.
• Low-light vision as an elf, or low-light vision is increased by one multiplier (elves see three times as far as a human, dragons see fives times as far, etc.)
• Effective hardness 1 against all damage. The character is so focused on the intense pain in their head that they can shrug off very minor damage, as well as slightly reducing harder hits.
• Because of the constant squinting and intense focus of the character's perceptions, he reduces miss chance for concealment by 10% against any target with less than total concealment.
• +6 resistance bonus on saves vs. Illusion spells.
• Partial see invisibility: The character gains a +10 bonus on Spot checks to notice there is an invisible creature or object nearby.

Any of the above is subject to change based on your opinions; it's just what I was able to throw together in a few minutes beforere a real-world migraine is going to hit me.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
In the trade-off between simplicity and accuracy I would, in this case, strongly encourage simplicity.

I'm not familiar with how these kinds of drawbacks are normally written up, but I would think that each component (penalty and drawback) should be about the length and complexity of a feat. The description you have is two or three times as long and as complex as that.

And I hope you feel better soon.

Sir Brennen

Legend
genshou said:
Where were you when we were writing about this in the first thread over in the d20 System/OGL forum?
Sorry, I have to look busy at work at least part of the time :)
But if I were to apply this to a character and wanted to keep things "fair" for them, what would be an equivalent boon?
Hmmmm.... well, real life migraines don't really have an upside, but historically, people with disorders such as migraines and epilepsy were sometimes viewed as "touched by the gods". So, some supernatural sense like Cheiromancer suggested might be appropriate. Another option might be after the migraine ends, the afflicted gains some sort of mystical insight, or revelation. This might take the form of giving the player a single use of augury, divination or even commune (one question) at the end of the episode.

Cheiromancer said:
I'd say that on a 5 or less you are susceptible for that day, and you know it. If you rest (in a dark room, most likely) you can avoid the attack of migraines.
I'd buy that. The player knows because he made the roll; no reason his character wouldn't feel a headache "coming on." I'm not a migraine sufferer, but I do get chronic sinus headaches, and have been told they rate a close second. I can often tell a couple of hours ahead of time when I'm going to get one.

As for resting to avoid the headache, I could see that, too. It wouldn't neccessarily be a guarantee, but if the character declared he was going to "rest until the feeling went away", when in-game time arrived at the point the migraine is suppose to hit, I'd allow a second check. If that one succeeds, they've managed to fight it off, and can go about normal activity the remainder of the day. Otherwise the migraine proceeds as scheduled. However, this inactivity wouldn't count toward normal sleep or rest required to regain spells, avoid fatigue, etc.

Each d20 roll you make that day (skills, saves, attacks) has a chance of triggering migraines. Maybe a 10% chance per roll, and each failure adds -1 to the penalty to all other rolls?
The problem I have with this is all the extra rolls involved. I think one single roll each game day is enough, with only a couple of added rolls by the DM to determine when and for how long. (Plus, why should something like me making a Knowledge [Nobility] check trigger a migraine? "Oy! The king's nephew gives me such a headache!")

However, since Cheiromancer mentioned avoiding light to stave off a migraine, it made me think that there are some events in a fantasy combat that could trigger an episode. Any spell involving bright light or loud sound which our character is caught in its area of effect (fireball, lightning bolt, sonic burst or even daylight), or casts, requires a CON save against the spell's DC, or a migraine is instantly triggered. If the character was already "due" that day, and has not already had his episode, the save is at a -4. At the end of any combat which our sufferer took damage, a DC 15 CON check is also required, again at a -4 if the character is still "due" that day. None of these checks are required if the character is currently suffering a migraine.

A little less complex than Genshou's version, as I agree that for a game, simplicity and playability should win out over striving to model reality too closely. Also, you guys posted responses while I was still working on this... :eek:

For example, Light Sensitivity I could see as a separate "companion" flaw, but by trying to roll it into the Migraine flaw, plus other drawbacks and benefits, you're practically making a "Migraine Sufferer" prestige class.

A couple of things to be aware of: if the balancing benefit is worth it, our Capt. Headache may try to induce them on purpose, if triggering events are allowed. Not a bad thing, neccessarily, just one to keep in mind. Also, if this is a known handicapp of a character, opponents may try to trigger it on purpose, as well.

genshou

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Sorry, I have to look busy at work at least part of the time :)
Busy... at work? Yeah, I guess I understand that. I wish I could slack off on the internet at work without anyone noticing, but my job doesn't even involve a computer, so...
Sir Brennen said:
Hmmmm.... well, real life migraines don't really have an upside, but historically, people with disorders such as migraines and epilepsy were sometimes viewed as "touched by the gods". So, some supernatural sense like Cheiromancer suggested might be appropriate. Another option might be after the migraine ends, the afflicted gains some sort of mystical insight, or revelation. This might take the form of giving the player a single use of augury, divination or even commune (one question) at the end of the episode.
It does work well with the idea that such a character would be gifted if you give them a spell power in exchange for the migraine.
Sir Brennen said:
I'd buy that. The player knows because he made the roll; no reason his character wouldn't feel a headache "coming on." I'm not a migraine sufferer, but I do get chronic sinus headaches, and have been told they rate a close second. I can often tell a couple of hours ahead of time when I'm going to get one.
Oh, I definitely know a sinus headache is coming on hours before it really hits me. And it does take a close second to migraines. But migraines are more sudden–at least in my case–so knowing about it only an hour ahead of time seems appropriate based on my experiences.
Sir Brennen said:
As for resting to avoid the headache, I could see that, too. It wouldn't neccessarily be a guarantee, but if the character declared he was going to "rest until the feeling went away", when in-game time arrived at the point the migraine is suppose to hit, I'd allow a second check. If that one succeeds, they've managed to fight it off, and can go about normal activity the remainder of the day. Otherwise the migraine proceeds as scheduled. However, this inactivity wouldn't count toward normal sleep or rest required to regain spells, avoid fatigue, etc.
If I feel any kind of headache–but especially migraines–coming on and can spare a few hours, I take the appropriate medication with about a quart of water, put in a pair of earplugs, turn off the lights in my room, and lie in bed with an ice bag over my eyes and forehead. It does well to stave off the effects of the headaches, usually. But it prevents me from working (or adventuring), so it would be rather inconvenient for a heroic character.
Sir Brennen said:
A little less complex than Genshou's version, as I agree that for a game, simplicity and playability should win out over striving to model reality too closely. Also, you guys posted responses while I was still working on this... :eek:

For example, Light Sensitivity I could see as a separate "companion" flaw, but by trying to roll it into the Migraine flaw, plus other drawbacks and benefits, you're practically making a "Migraine Sufferer" prestige class.
I don’t know about it being a prestige class, but...

Drow take penalties to rolls when exposed to bright light, and are also stunned on the first round of exposure. Doesn’t that sound appropriate for someone in the middle of a migraine? I usually get migraines during the day, so I have to have either the ice bag or just a dry rag over my eyes to block the light streaming in from my bedroom window. Extreme sentitivity to light isn’t an add-on to migraine suffering rules, it’s a necessity. Some of the other stuff is overly complex, but I was just throwing out everything I could come up with (all of which applies all at once while I am suffering any given migraine, although I’m not sure of I’d really get a save bonus vs. Illusions ;))

I like complexity (and so do my players), so it’s not a problem for me if the rules aren’t as simple as would be best for the average gamer.
Sir Brennen said:
A couple of things to be aware of: if the balancing benefit is worth it, our Capt. Headache may try to induce them on purpose, if triggering events are allowed. Not a bad thing, neccessarily, just one to keep in mind. Also, if this is a known handicapp of a character, opponents may try to trigger it on purpose, as well.
Anyone who willingly triggers a migraine is insane. That’s all there is to it. But I do understand what you mean. The nausea and light sensitivity alone should be enough to keep anyone from willingly triggering a migraine in combat.

Complex my rule suggestion may be, but is it balanced in its current state? :\

Remove ads