• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Penny Arcade posts interesting puzzle challenge

Dannager

First Post
Oh, dammit, Gabe.

35865970-26c458add1fe5e9460576006d66bf878.4ad4253a-scaled.jpg

jbear

First Post
Looks cool, but it's ripped from, at the very least, Resident Evil 5, which had a puzzle just like that. Nice set up though. I'd like to have the money and time to make something approaching that. :D
err... he actually says in his post that he was inspired by God of War, which if you've played, you'd know has several battles where you have to drag things around to make the sun reflect off the light of statues shields etc. to open a doorway to get to the next part of the game. So, he's pretty blatant about about the fact he's 'ripped' the idea and where he 'ripped' it from.

That takes absolutely NOTHING away from the fact he has applied that idea to an incredibly fun/cool/awesome encounter where the players actually have to find the right angles to direct light of an actual pen light and real mirrors in an absolutely magnificent 3d dungeon...

Why would anyone even think of snarkily saying... '' oh, yeah, but he stole the idea from a videa game..." ????

Now what I really wanted to say (before I read that last snarky comment) was:

Wow!

OchreJelly

First Post
I vaguely remember a puzzle like this from a Zelda game, but it could just be a fever dream on my part. That twitter pic is cool. Did he add cobwebs to his tiles?? Very clever.

Gort

Explorer
Man, how video gamey.

Pshaw, maybe that would be cool if you like popular MMORPG World of Warcraft but it's not for me.

Uzzy

First Post
err... he actually says in his post that he was inspired by God of War, which if you've played, you'd know has several battles where you have to drag things around to make the sun reflect off the light of statues shields etc. to open a doorway to get to the next part of the game. So, he's pretty blatant about about the fact he's 'ripped' the idea and where he 'ripped' it from.

That takes absolutely NOTHING away from the fact he has applied that idea to an incredibly fun/cool/awesome encounter where the players actually have to find the right angles to direct light of an actual pen light and real mirrors in an absolutely magnificent 3d dungeon...

Why would anyone even think of snarkily saying... '' oh, yeah, but he stole the idea from a videa game..." ????

Now what I really wanted to say (before I read that last snarky comment) was:

Wow!

I didn't mean to be snarky in my original post. My point was more along the lines that it's from a video game, which is no bad thing at all. I've done it plenty of times in my own games, be it interesting quest ideas, dialogue, puzzles or ideas for NPC's. I said I liked the set up, and wished I had the time and money to do something similar, but being a University Student, my money is going on more important things, like food. ;)

The actual design, and heck, being willing to create the puzzle physically is an impressive thing.

DragoonLance

First Post
Honestly I'm not suprised he's taking from video games, I do the same thing. I've seen some very clever dungeon based puzzles in video games over the years, while sadly it seems like searching for D&D related ones only get you a Rube Goldberg TPK.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads