• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

People who do not frequent wizards.com

Layander

First Post
Will 5e be written mostly by players who play 4e since only they commonly speak on the wizards forums? From their viewpoint everyone wants the game to be the same since they only input they get are existing fans, and not the pathfinder, or dragonsfoot crowd.

Will 5e be written mostly by players who play 4e since only they commonly speak on the wizards forums? From their viewpoint everyone wants the game to be the same since they only input they get are existing fans, and not the pathfinder, or dragonsfoot crowd.

I am on wotc site as often as here, and I will tell you there are PLENTY of pathfinder and 2e/3e players there, infact it would be hard for me to remember a quater that went by that did not have a trash 4e thread on that board... and that isn't even counting the people who play both

Gundark

Explorer

I suspect that the rules are written, the feedback shapes the written rules. They will take feedback from those who sign up to playtest the game. Which is why it is important to sign up.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I really doubt that they'll confine themselves to that echo chamber given how 4e developed and then was ultimately perceived by the RPG community at large after launch. They'd really be foolish to do so, and I really doubt that they are.

Given how some subsets of the forums (such as FR) over there are ghost towns compared to the activity during 3.x, they have to realize that it's incredibly self-selecting over there now.

Jack99

Adventurer
Its not like they are asking the people on the forums to design the damn thing. If you want to participate, you need to sign up for the play-test. You can't in good faith expect that WotC reads every single post on every single board around the net.

As for that, with exposure on CNN, Forbes, NYTimes and a gazillion of other places, as well as ENworld, etc, it's pretty safe to say, that if you hang out on the interwebs and dig RPG's, there is a really good chance that you have seen the announcement and had the opportunity to swing by and sign up.

Last edited:

foolish_mortals

First Post
my guess is the communities input will be ignored by and large. The playtests are just there to build excitement about the game. The whole things probably already designed and only little pieces are being let out of the bag at a time. It'll probably be "dnd" 4.5 when the hardcovers hit the stores. Thankfully we have places other than the WOTC forums to talk freely about the game.

foolish_mortals

nnms

First Post
I'm not convinced they'll do 4.5. If 4E works so well for WotC they wouldn't have announced this move towards a new version this soon in 4E's product life cycle.

enrious

I'm not convinced they'll do 4.5. If 4E works so well for WotC they wouldn't have announced this move towards a new version this soon in 4E's product life cycle.

This.

They can build the hype all they want with the testing and previews and whatnot, but if it's merely 4.5 when it launches, then it'll flop, because at the end of the day, people know what they want - not what they're told they want.

Raith5

Adventurer
Yep if you want to have a say sign up. It is good to see they are doing this. Rather than create a game based on a perception of customers who were external to the hobby (as in capture the WOW phenomenon in the case of 4th ed), they are actually asking those who have some interest in the game.

Remove ads