• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Per Encounter"-Ability: Hopefully not in the rules

Anthtriel

First Post
There is one thing about "per encounter"-abilities that I hate: The flavor of an ability that is encounter-based is totally off. I believe my very first impression of them, once I stopped looking at it mechanicly, was something like this:

"An ability can only be used during one encounter, no matter how long it takes? And why would you only be able to do it when there is an enemy around? Some sort of magical energy that wells up in you once you see a Goblin and vanishes when you have slain him? Total bollocks!"

Thankfully, that didn't last long. I realized that flavorwise, "per encounter ability" should actually be named "ability that takes two minutes of rest to recover", as opposed to "per day ability", which would be "ability that takes eight hours of rest to recover". "Per encounter" is, apart from the name, really not more 'gamey' than "Per day", it is actually a refinement.

Let take an example: Paladin Dayguy, who can smite evil four times per day, and Paladin Encguy, who can smite once per encounter. Per 3.5 assumptions, those abilities are roughly equal.

Both sleep in the wilderness, only to get attacked by a bunch of goblins at 00:01; thankfully spotted by the party's ranger. They are still a bit sleepy, but otherwise okay.
Dayguy smites the four goblins next to him with his ability, taking them out with one hit. Encguy fights more cautiosly, finally smiting one particular mean goblin; but afterwards, he is too tired to do it anymore, and the goblins don't give him time to catch a breath.
Dayguy shines, Encguy not so much.

After the battle, the adventurers rest for six additional hours, getting some much deserved sleep. They set out to destroy a local goblin warband, finally meeting them. Dayguy and Encguy once again fight with valour. One particularily big goblin, in black armor, gets close to the party wizard and manages to knock him down. Dayguy and Encguy both run to rescue the wizard. Dayguy already spend all his smite attempts for the day, so he has no magical energy to left and can only regularily strike the goblin. Encguy thankfully recovered during the six hours of rest, and uses his smite to kill the goblin and save the wizard.

The battle is won, but the leader of the goblins tries to escape with his bodyguards, the adventurers chasing after them. Encguy and Dayguy come close to them at times, but Dayguy already used all his smites, and Encguy didn't have time to rest yet. Finally, they all come to the goblin's mountain hideout. The goblins managed to get some distance between them and the adventurers, so they get in there first and barricade the entrance.

The adventurers try to get the door open as fast they can, so the goblins cannot get away or prepare themselves too much. Ten minutes they vigourosly try to break the barricades open, until they finally succeed. But unfortunately, shortly after entering the hideout, a pack of wolves, lead by a warg, rushes at them, apparently set out by the goblins. Dayguy and Encguy still didn't rest properly, so again they just strike at them.

After a long and hard battle, the adventurers realize they are too tired to take on the goblins anymore. They head out of the hideout, and make camp in the edge of a nearby forest, so that the goblins cannot escape out of the front entrance, while they keep relatively hidden.
After two hours of rest, the sun begins to descend. The adventurers know that they are at a disadvantage against nightly raids. Their camp is not as defendible as the hideout, and they are only a few, so that keeping a night watch would be problematic. So they decide to enter the hideout and kill the goblin leader.

After they went in there, and overcame the goblin's traps, the climatic battle starts. Dayguy still hasn't recovered his smites, so he just whacks some goblins. Encguy hoeever rested properly, so he has his smite attack again, and finally manages to land it on the goblin boss, taking him out.
The adventurers celebrate their victory, and return to the town as heroes. On the way back, Dayguy finally recovers his smites.

Now what do you think? Take a guess, who had more fun, the player of Dayguy, or the player of Encguy? And who worked better in flavor?

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Anthtriel said:
Now what do you think? Take a guess, who had more fun, the player of Dayguy, or the player of Encguy?
I'm already a fan of per-encounter, so no change here.

Anthtriel said:
And who worked better in flavor?
"All of them were delicious." -- Goblin Warlord

Cheers, -- N

Patlin

Explorer
I like per encounter abilities, and I hope there will be a way to renew at least some of them them mid encounter, as in the Book of Nine Swords. The title you chose seems to reflect your old opinion, rather than your new one, if I understand you right.

Anthtriel

First Post
Patlin said:
I like per encounter abilities, and I hope there will be a way to renew at least some of them them mid encounter, as in the Book of Nine Swords. The title you chose seems to reflect your old opinion, rather than your new one, if I understand you right.
Well, a little bit of controversy in the title often gives you a few more replies. :p
What I was trying to get at - before the ever expanding example - was that the name "per encounter" really works against them. Flavorwise, they are plain better than "per day", yet the name implies otherwise.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I'd rather just have:
At Will
Per hour*
Per day

* Per Encounter can be interpreted in many different ways. What if you're adventuring in the City of Brass, where you're constantly being hit with heat damage? Since you're taking damage, wouldn't the city itself be considered a continuous encounter? Even if you had a protection from heat or similar spell, it still would qualify as an encounter because you're being exposed to dangerous elements.

What about a blizzard? Wouldn't that be considered an encounter?

What about in an environment where you're rolling to not toss your proverbial cookies (think sewers). When does the encounter end?

Using the term per encounter is way too broad.

Anthtriel

First Post
Moniker said:
I'd rather just have:
At Will
Per hour*
Per day

* Per Encounter can be interpreted in many different ways. What if you're adventuring in the City of Brass, where you're constantly being hit with heat damage? Since you're taking damage, wouldn't the city itself be considered a continuous encounter? Even if you had a protection from heat or similar spell, it still would qualify as an encounter because you're being exposed to dangerous elements.

What about a blizzard? Wouldn't that be considered an encounter?

What about in an environment where you're rolling to not toss your proverbial cookies (think sewers). When does the encounter end?

Using the term per encounter is way too broad.
Thanks for not bothering to read the opening post.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Anthtriel said:
Well, a little bit of controversy in the title often gives you a few more replies. :p
May I gently advise against this sort of thing?

The line is thin between "provocative" and "trolling", when it's there at all.

Cheers, -- N

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Anthtriel said:
Thanks for not bothering to read the opening post.

Actually, without being a total smartass - I did read your post. However, I disagree with the inordinant amount of timekeeping it would take to track two minutes for each abilities' usage. An hour is more general and easier to track both as a player and a DM.

Exen Trik

First Post
Per encounter makes more sense, since it is just a matter of resting, not using some daily allowance of power. But if they were different in ability, like the per encounter smiter were 15th level and the per day smiter 5th, then it would make sense that the lower level guy would need more rest.

What would not makes sense is if there were multiple per day uses of an ability, instead of per encounter. Why should he be able to smite two, three, or four times in a row, and not again for the rest of the day? You can use the idea of being blessed only for so many uses by his god or a some kind vancian rationale, but that's just another way of saying 'because it's magic'. And there would be no excuse for purely martial powers, which should be balanced with magic types across however many encounters come up.

So what I expect we'll see is a few 1/day abilities, more per encounter abilities, and high levels providing what was per day as per encounter.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Moniker said:
Actually, without being a total smartass - I did read your post. However, I disagree with the inordinant amount of timekeeping it would take to track two minutes for each abilities' usage. An hour is more general and easier to track both as a player and a DM.

I say why track it at all? As soon as an "encounter" is over, the wave of enemies has stopped and the characters get at least a round where they can regroup, then the per encounter ability should reset.

Essentially if you roll initiative again, it should count as a new encounter regardless of how much game time has actually passed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads