Spoilers Percy Jackson and The Olympians (warning spoilers)

Okay caught up. I haven't read the books, so that won't influence my impression.

The show can be a bit slow at times, but when it's not, it's good.

I find it interesting that Disney, more then any other studio is so highly invested in Greek Mythology.

You have of course Percy Jackson, you have Fantasia (or is it the Sorcerer's apprentice?), Disney's first cartoon before Snow White was Persephone, Hercules Cartoon movie and TV show (with Aladdin crossover that shows Jafar ended up in the Greek Underworld), Marvel has the Greek Gods, and a live action adaption of Hercules is planned. Did I forget anything?

MarkB

Legend
Okay caught up. I haven't read the books, so that won't influence my impression.

The show can be a bit slow at times, but when it's not, it's good.

I find it interesting that Disney, more then any other studio is so highly invested in Greek Mythology.

You have of course Percy Jackson, you have Fantasia (or is it the Sorcerer's apprentice?), Disney's first cartoon before Snow White was Persephone, Hercules Cartoon movie and TV show (with Aladdin crossover that shows Jafar ended up in the Greek Underworld), Marvel has the Greek Gods, and a live action adaption of Hercules is planned. Did I forget anything?
That seems more an incidental result of Disney owning everything, and Greek mythology being perenially popular, than anything else. DC's Wonder Woman also leans heavily into that mythology.

Uncle Rick talks about the difference between the book and the show's Aunty Em encounter

fpkt6u8ed39c1.jpeg

This version of Annabeth is rather more ASD than I imagined her from the books. But it works with the idea that the half-bloods are outsiders, and is easier to depict on screen than Percy's dyslexia.

MarkB

Legend
Medusa's veil was well realised in this episode. One tends to think of a veil as being the full bridal version, that would need to be drawn back by hand in order to reveal her eyes. But with this one, if she wants to petrify someone, all she needs to do is tilt her head.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I enjoyed both of the last episodes, with minor critiques. The Chimera should have had a snake tail and more prominent goat features. They should have kept the poodle exchange from the book (Grover speaking with animals is important, and the scene was funny). I wish the fight on the Arch had been a bit longer.

I wish they had kept the mechanical spiders that were in the book in this episode. Being scared of spiders is an important detail for Annabeth. Both Hephaestus and Ares were done well in this episode. Grover's characterization throughout the series has been weirdly different from the books, and it was even more off in this episode.

Remove ads