Perfect Combat System? Not too short, not too long, but just right?

Smoss

First Post
I designed my system to have hit points based strictly on Constitution (No levels or classes in my RPG system). Nearly unchanging hit points works well for the feel of "growing skills but still human".

Of course, that makes my system quite deadly - Though my tweak of defenses means a combat is more "swingy". I RP it like a great duel (I wanted that feel - Like the old style swordfights in movies - especially Errol Flynn/Basil Rathbone movies).

Hope all these ideas help you out... :)
--------------------
Smoss
Doulairen (Doulairen)
Or go directly to some details on my RPG system:
RPG System (Doulairen)

A

amerigoV

The Dragon Age RPG looked very interesting to me, especially the Stunts system. I read it over, but I have not played it. Also, it only goes up to Level 5 in the first box set. I am not sure when the next set is out.

Another vote for Savage Worlds. My group is alternating fantasy campaigns between 3.5 and SW. SW is holding up every well in this regard.

MortonStromgal

First Post
Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction, I'm looking for a system that is either a plugin for 3.5 or short enough for me to learn in a few days' time.

Don't do it! Seriously hear me out, keep playing your 3.5 game, set aside oh say $100 for pdfs read up on reviews of different games. Buy some pdfs of games that sound interesting mechanically. Figure out which one you like best then run an old adventure like Keep on the Boarderlands in the new system. If you like it stick to playing the new game. That is how we ended up with Desolation and frankly the group loves it! I have personally never had more fun playing an rpg.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The other problem is you might be dealing with a group without enough power gamers.
I'm pretty sure the designers of D&D have always assumed that there would be a fair amount of power gaming going on. 2e actively railed against it, and there's still a certain stigma in some players and DMs. Nowadays you see fun stuff like this happen:

DM states proudly in one thread that he doesn't allow munchkins in his game.

Same DM two threads later: "Why are combats taking so long? The math doesn't work and this game is obviously broken!"

Celebrim

Legend
I'm pretty sure the designers of D&D have always assumed that there would be a fair amount of power gaming going on. 2e actively railed against it, and there's still a certain stigma in some players and DMs. Nowadays you see fun stuff like this happen:

DM states proudly in one thread that he doesn't allow munchkins in his game.

Same DM two threads later: "Why are combats taking so long? The math doesn't work and this game is obviously broken!"

As both a DM and a player, I enjoy the whole game: tactical combat, dungeon crawling, exploration, roleplaying, puzzle-solving, etc. So as DM I design adventures that feature a little of everything so I won't get bored. If the players don't have a certain amount of power gaming going on, it constrains me as a DM as to what I can offer the group as a combat challenge. Even though they can sometimes be a problem, its nice to have a few power gamers in a group because you have someone to rely on to stop that TPK from happening, and really any sort of play style can be a problem taken to an extreme.

While the sterotype among 'roleplayers' is that your character has to be disfunctional and inept to be realistic, interesting, and well-rounded, I think its perfectly possible to role-play a complex hero that still brings the beatdown when necessary.

ArghMark

First Post
An oldie but a goodie is True 20. Still d20 but instead of hit points it measures steadily increasing status problems.

Playing it with planescape, (Game is awesome to do pretty much anything), I found that with a single character it is quite possible to kill very large creatures without endless combat, and in one case the final enemy took all of three swings and a fair bit of tactics to kill.

Another recommendation is Warhammer 2e, as I don't know 3e. A fair few tactical options but lightning quick resolutions.

Hussar

Legend
As both a DM and a player, I enjoy the whole game: tactical combat, dungeon crawling, exploration, roleplaying, puzzle-solving, etc. So as DM I design adventures that feature a little of everything so I won't get bored. If the players don't have a certain amount of power gaming going on, it constrains me as a DM as to what I can offer the group as a combat challenge. Even though they can sometimes be a problem, its nice to have a few power gamers in a group because you have someone to rely on to stop that TPK from happening, and really any sort of play style can be a problem taken to an extreme.

While the sterotype among 'roleplayers' is that your character has to be disfunctional and inept to be realistic, interesting, and well-rounded, I think its perfectly possible to role-play a complex hero that still brings the beatdown when necessary.

Dammit, wanted to cover Blargney, and found that I too am out of posrep for Celebrim.

But, 1001% agree. Gaming should appeal to EVERY aspect, both the hack and the talkie bits. Don't be afraid of either. Expand your horizons!

Remove ads