D&D 5E Perfect example of the kind of interaction that I wish Wizards had with it's community.

Selling consumable DLC in full price game is not role model i want for wotc to follow.

EDIT: also if we follow that gamedev way, then dev blogs or playtests for every product is more plausible than obscure hints, which in the end will hurt wotc back, given a much broader scope/context of those.

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
Perfect example of the kind of interaction that I wish Wizards had with it's ...

Given the quality if discourse I see on this board I wouldn't come near this place if I worked for WotC. The overblown rage and squealing from the masses here doesn't add anything useful to our hobby.
I get it though. We're nerds. As such the majority of us have a serious problem with the whole 'social interaction' thing and don't understand, despite our generally particularly high intelligence, how to communicate in and effective manner.

I wasn't around for that. I've seen a few token appearances but not many.
I think it could still work, provided ENWorld is committed to warning or banning people who abuse the WotCers, and people don't try to corner the staff. The more they post the more used to them people will become and the less confrontation people will be, since it feels less like they're only opportunity to vent or express months of feelings.

The regular presence of Paizo staff on their boards is typically positive, and there's no fewer jerks and trolls there.
My apologies then; I know you've been around these boards a long time, I just assumed you'd been here for 4E and Scott Rouse. He was WotC's brand manager during 4E's launch, and he (along with Mike Mearls and James Wyatt and Rich Baker, IIRC) made a valiant effort to keep in direct touch with fans over the direction of 4E. Unfortunately, 4E ended up being pretty controversial, and the resulting Edition Wars atmosphere turned even ENWorld (which had and has very high quality moderating) pretty toxic. Any comment from somebody connected to WotC would--often months later, and completely out of context--be used to rip into the company for either 4E or failures to live up to expectations created by the fans. I've seen Paizo's board, and they aren't exactly peaceful, but in 2008 everywhere was a flamewar.

I mostly agree. It does seem like they're giving D&D one more chance to not fail before they shutter the RPG.
But I think they're trying to divorce the profits of D&D from the RPG rather than holding back on investing in books. They're breaking D&D from the accessory cycle, so that continued sales of the Core Rulebooks and other products provide all the necessary RPG money for the brand with most of the money coming from elsewhere. So that any money made from accessories/expansions is pure bonus cash.
You for sure aren't wrong. Unfortunately D&D is in the unenviable position of being a valuable brand in a dying medium. D&D isn't strong enough yet to stand without the TTRPG fans, but TTRPGs and publishing are dying a slow death in a digital world. WotC has famously not been smooth in transitioning into the digital economy either. The challenge now is to get people who don't play TTRPGs to care about something with D&D printed on it; ultimately, on the balance sheet, WotC and Hasbro won't (and can't and shouldn't) care what products people are buying from them--whether TTRPG books or comics or video games or TV shows--as long as enough people are buying something with D&D printed on it.

I live in Alberta. The majority of our economy is tied to the oil industry. Taxes and exports and such. So when the price of oil goes down, our economy goes into shock and suddenly we don't have enough money for schools or hospitals or infrastructure. The health of the entire province is tied to the one industry whose fluctuations are beyond our control.
If your listed location is accurate, then you and I are in the same town, friend. :)

I see the last couple editions of D&D as similar to that. Everything was riding on the tabletop RPG. 4e especially where they doubled down on regular books selling extra-well (because everything was core) and the regular subscription money of DDI. When books sales dipped for whatever reason (a less popular book being released or things cutting into disposable cash, such as a geeky video game, blockbuster movie season beginning, or a hit rival RPG book being released) the entire brand suffered.
Spreading things out means that even if the tabletops suffer one month the video games and minis keep profits afloat.
No doubt! Unfortunately, it really sucks for those of us (like you and I) who aretabletop D&D fans, because clearly, in Q1 and Q2 2015, WotC is not planning to provide anywhere near the level of TTRPG content it had following previous new editions. I understand why not, but it still sucks for us.

Outsourcing (aka freelancing) isn't uncommon. Most of Paizo's AP volumes are written by freelancers. Having editing, layout, and art handled by other people is odd, but the WotC team did have other books to work on. I can imagine the production stuff returning in-house for future books, even if writing is still mostly done by other studios.
Sure, but 5E marks the first edition where D&D was having significant portions of its new TTRPG content produced by entirely different studios (rather than just by freelancers writing for WotC). By licensing Sasquatch and Kobold Press to produce the books, WotC diffuses their own risk; if a product flops, it's Kobold Press' investment lost, and WotC is only out the royalties it would have collected.

They're not abandoning the RPG, guys. They need to clear $50 million in order to get the kind of budget they had in the 3e days. They know they can't get that from the RPG by itself. They gave it a valiant try with 4e. The only way they can do it is by expanding the brand. Get some popular video games, maybe some kind of media project, be that TV or movie, things like that. If they can clear that number, or at least bring enough revenue to make Hasbro's quarterly reports, then they'll get more of that sweet, sweet Hasbro cash to spend on a bigger R&D group and a bit more product.
You're right, but do you have a source for this $50 million number?

Staffan

Legend
Sure, but 5E marks the first edition where D&D was having significant portions of its new TTRPG content produced by entirely different studios (rather than just by freelancers writing for WotC). By licensing Sasquatch and Kobold Press to produce the books, WotC diffuses their own risk; if a product flops, it's Kobold Press' investment lost, and WotC is only out the royalties it would have collected.

I don't know exactly what's in the contracts between Wizards and Kobold Press/Sasquatch, but I would be very surprised if that was true. Hoard, Rise, and Princes are all published by Wizards of the Coast. Theirs is the name on the cover. I would be incredibly surprised if Kobold/Sasquatch have any ongoing financial interest in the success of the adventures (other than professional pride and being considered for doing more stuff, of course).

You're right, but do you have a source for this $50 million number?

The figure comes from an old interview with or post from Ryan Dancey, who said that (paraphrased because I can't be hedgehogged into finding the actual source - google Ryan Dancey Wizards 50 million) Hasbro divides brands into three categories: those that make $100M or more which get pretty much all the support they want, those that make $50M to $100M which get some support with the goal of bringing them up to $100M+, and those making less than $50M which they pretty much don't want to deal with.

I do remember that the statement was made quite a few years ago, and it's possible that Hasbro has changed their policies since then.

I don't know exactly what's in the contracts between Wizards and Kobold Press/Sasquatch, but I would be very surprised if that was true. Hoard, Rise, and Princes are all published by Wizards of the Coast. Theirs is the name on the cover. I would be incredibly surprised if Kobold/Sasquatch have any ongoing financial interest in the success of the adventures (other than professional pride and being considered for doing more stuff, of course).
I admit it's likely I'm oversimplifying. That said, at the end of the day, the entire purpose of outsourcing is to limit costs (including by mitigating potential risks). I would be very surprised if Kobold and Sasquatch didn't have a stake in the gross sales, but I'll admit to having absolutely no inside info.

The figure comes from an old interview with or post from Ryan Dancey, who said that (paraphrased because I can't be hedgehogged into finding the actual source - google Ryan Dancey Wizards 50 million) Hasbro divides brands into three categories: those that make $100M or more which get pretty much all the support they want, those that make $50M to $100M which get some support with the goal of bringing them up to $100M+, and those making less than $50M which they pretty much don't want to deal with.

I do remember that the statement was made quite a few years ago, and it's possible that Hasbro has changed their policies since then.
I see what you're getting at. Still, if Dancey said it, it must've been from at least a decade ago, right?

Staffan

Legend
I admit it's likely I'm oversimplifying. That said, at the end of the day, the entire purpose of outsourcing is to limit costs (including by mitigating potential risks). I would be very surprised if Kobold and Sasquatch didn't have a stake in the gross sales, but I'll admit to having absolutely no inside info.

They may be getting some sort of royalties from the sales, but my limited understanding of the RPG business is that that sort of arrangement is very uncommon. Freelancers get a lump sum, usually paid by the word, and then they're done. But then again, the situation with hiring an entire design studio rather than individual designers isn't exactly industry standard, so who knows?

I see what you're getting at. Still, if Dancey said it, it must've been from at least a decade ago, right?

I'm pretty sure it was post-4e, at least, and that he wasn't at Wizards any longer at the time.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You're seem to be assuming a couple things here. Feel free to correct me if I have interpreted you wrong or misunderstood.

One: You seem to think bad interactions are largely the result of fans behavior and not WOTC.. I would think its a two-way street with both groups being partially to blame historically.

You are correct. I lay the blame on the fans. They complain. A LOT. About EVERYTHING. And two different fans will complain about the same exact thing from either side. I have seen it here on the boards first hand for the last 15 years ever since 3E debuted. No matter how small or large the announcement, there are threads upon threads complaining about it and calling WotC stupid.

Two: You seem to assume WOTC reaction to that history is only going to be silence, etc. That's not a given. This has come up on other threads about WOTC communication before. How they communicate now, what they do and do not say and to whom is not the only way they could react. Plenty of other companies do worse so they could do worse (comcast or mcdonalds for example) but plenty of companies do much better and remain professional.

This time around for 5E they have chosen mostly silence. I'm guessing iit's a reaction to how their words were treated when they did the "weekly post" thing during 4E. During that edition they were always in contact with everybody... announcements, previews of upcoming products, explanations of what they were doing and why... and was anybody actually appreciative? Not as far as I could see. Sure, some people would be thankful, but more often than not it was just complaints, complaints, complaints. Nothing was ever good enough. People lived to tear WotC apart because they weren't getting what THEY wanted, WHEN they wanted it.

Sound familiar? It's the same exact thing now, except WotC's giving silence. And my guess is that they have finally realized that if people are going to complain, complain, complain regardless... they might as go with the direction that doesn't require them to spend a couple hours every week during business hours writing up long news posts. And I don't blame them a bit.

If this guy Ed from Mortal Kombat has not yet experienced backlash from his posts yet... he's a very lucky man. I just wouldn't expect that to last.

My apologies then; I know you've been around these boards a long time, I just assumed you'd been here for 4E and Scott Rouse. He was WotC's brand manager during 4E's launch, and he (along with Mike Mearls and James Wyatt and Rich Baker, IIRC) made a valiant effort to keep in direct touch with fans over the direction of 4E. Unfortunately, 4E ended up being pretty controversial, and the resulting Edition Wars atmosphere turned even ENWorld (which had and has very high quality moderating) pretty toxic. Any comment from somebody connected to WotC would--often months later, and completely out of context--be used to rip into the company for either 4E or failures to live up to expectations created by the fans. I've seen Paizo's board, and they aren't exactly peaceful, but in 2008 everywhere was a flamewar.
I was over on the WotC Community at the time. I registered here, posted a couple times, but mostly lurked. That was my main site (until the most recent site upgrades made posting on my iPad frustrating to impossible and left me unable to log in).

You for sure aren't wrong. Unfortunately D&D is in the unenviable position of being a valuable brand in a dying medium. D&D isn't strong enough yet to stand without the TTRPG fans, but TTRPGs and publishing are dying a slow death in a digital world. WotC has famously not been smooth in transitioning into the digital economy either. The challenge now is to get people who don't play TTRPGs to care about something with D&D printed on it; ultimately, on the balance sheet, WotC and Hasbro won't (and can't and shouldn't) care what products people are buying from them--whether TTRPG books or comics or video games or TV shows--as long as enough people are buying something with D&D printed on it.
RPGs are a greying hobby at best. There's certainly some life and room for new player, but the heydays are over and aren't coming back. Strategies do need to change from one of heavy expansion and sales to preservation and long term sustaining of the brand.
A movie *might* help, as would a TV show. But that's well outside of WotC's control. They have to proceed as if that's not happening.

If your listed location is accurate, then you and I are in the same town, friend. :)
Kinda. Since I started frequenting ENWorld more often I moved and now live and work in the Park, and don't make it into Edmonton often anymore.

No doubt! Unfortunately, it really sucks for those of us (like you and I) who aretabletop D&D fans, because clearly, in Q1 and Q2 2015, WotC is not planning to provide anywhere near the level of TTRPG content it had following previous new editions. I understand why not, but it still sucks for us.
I find it more bittersweet that straight "sucks". Extra books are nice, but quickly becomes too much for me. When I think of the books and content I have from Paizo that will never be used... it's scary. The majority of my RPG collection might as well be University textbooks for subjects I dropped.
Current Jester is chafing for new content and books, but Future Jester will be happy with the restrained content. And I'm horrible to Future Jester and make him put up with all kinds of pain, so this just feels like karma.

Excluding the years prior to 4e that is. For all of 2007 and the early parts of 2008 the books were straight freelancers. Oh, and the years prior to 5e as well, as 2011 and 2012 featured a lot of outsourced books.
Actually... with only 3 of the 7 products released in the six month period being freelanced out, more products were done in-house than in 2011-2 and 2007.

transtemporal

Explorer
And that's a perfect example of what I don't want. I find that kind of "toying" incredibly annoying, and much worse than just saying silent. I don't particularly care for WotC's relative silence, either, but it's vastly preferable.

Same. It's different if the creator of a game teases something like that and then a couple of days later, that very thing gets released. Now THAT'S cool.

But anything else is just being a dick.

fjw70

Adventurer
WotC staff still interacts with the fans, just not usually on message boards. These days the interaction is through Twitter.

Remove ads