Perfect Recall

Prestidigitalis

First Post
An attack is not a check. An Intelligence check is things like "Do you remember the name of the guy you meant three years ago on the temple steps?" They are very limited in most campaigns.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would recommend talking to you DM before taking anything that gives bonuses to checks. Some DMs use checks a lot and some use skills exclusively. I myself mostly use kills with rare ability checks.

gjnave

First Post
well.. i assumed that a check would be like you said "Do you know this...".
But the PHB makes it a bit unclear: Page 25, makes no diferrence between a check being for attack or for a skill. And the power itself, just says "check" not "skill check", or anything else...

Worldwise... it makes sense that it wouldnt be in combat. But the text is unclear. Just saying...

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Ah, page 25, now I see what you are getting at. I had forgotten that attack rolls are considered a kind of "check".

If you could truly use History checks in place of Intelligence checks applied to Intelligence-based attacks, Wizards and other Int-based characters could easily guarantee that they only ever missed on a 1 -- it wouldn't even take that many feats to do it. Perfect Recall would have been the single most discussed power in the entire rule set and the basis of almost every CharOp monstrosity to be found. And then it would have been errata-ed.

LightPhoenix

First Post
But the PHB makes it a bit unclear: Page 25, makes no diferrence between a check being for attack or for a skill. And the power itself, just says "check" not "skill check", or anything else...

I agree the text is unclear. The PHB is very poorly laid out with regards to terminology. My counter argument is that the game is usually very careful to use the term "attack" when something influences an attack roll.

Remove ads