• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permanacy

Anony Mouse

First Post
Spells Ive seen used with permanancy:
Alter Self: The possibilities are endless. usually claws or wings.
Mage Armor
Mount: This made a great business (esp back when it made griffons)
Sleep
Fly
Summon Monster... hmm this leads to alot of spells i think _should_ be able to have permananency but brobably need playtesting.

Orichin

First Post
One thing I can recommend against is allowing the players to cast permanency on enlarge person. Especially on monks. I had one player get absolutely out of hand with a high level character (a lycanthropic elven monk that grew to size H and hit for 3d12+21 5 times per round-averaging 3 times the party's 2 paladins' combined damage per round-when he wasn't abusing his size to grapple dragons and swallow opponents whole. Eventually the party's sorcerer gave me the opportunity to nerf the monk with a poorly worded wish-needless to say the monk didn't get the permanent enlargement back).

Things I have had success with in the past include sleep, misdirection, and flaming sphere (makes a great pet).

I'd be hesitant about fly (for one thing it makes items like wings of flying, broom of flying, cape of the bat, etc. perfectly obsolete and needlessly expensive), and at least limit summon monsters to a single summoning made permanent at a time.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Don't forget that a dispel magic can easily end a permanency spell. WIthout house-ruling that in some way, I don't see permanency as a very viable spell.

Diirk

First Post
Orichin said:
One thing I can recommend against is allowing the players to cast permanency on enlarge person. Especially on monks. I had one player get absolutely out of hand with a high level character (a lycanthropic elven monk that grew to size H and hit for 3d12+21 5 times per round-averaging 3 times the party's 2 paladins' combined damage per round-when he wasn't abusing his size to grapple dragons and swallow opponents whole.

Dare I say the problem likely wasn't the enlarge person? Without it he was still doing what, 4d6+20? Enlarge person is only +2 strength and plus one size category...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads