• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

permanancy

Rakusia

First Post
This is about the spell. Are there any other spells you would allow to be affected by permanancy? Personally i have always liked the idea of detect magic. Have gotten it done to my rogue with an easy going dm before. I call it my eye shine operation for 20 menthol kools

No.

Permanency as written is nearly unusable. It's too vulnerable to Dispel Magic. If I wanted a permanencied spell, I'd get a slotless magic item, with the "slot" being my skin. Same thing, but can only be suppressed rather than removed entirely by a 3rd-level spell.

Magic items are more flexible too. They can be more easily balanced as well. (For instance, if I want to fly, but the DM thinks it's overpowered to fly all the time, I could get something that lets me fly 1/day or whatever.)

Belzbet

First Post
This is about the spell. Are there any other spells you would allow to be affected by permanancy? Personally i have always liked the idea of detect magic. Have gotten it done to my rogue with an easy going dm before. I call it my eye shine operation for 20 menthol kools

shield and mage armor are ones i allow, also i allow bulls STr and that line (eagles splendor, owls wisdom etc), also as a note, permanency can be dispelled so its not all that powerful (really its more powerful for monsters than PC's since many monsters have dispel magic)

Also as note detect magic is a spell that can be "permanancy'ed" by RAW so i dont know why this thread digressed into talk about detect magic...

Obviously abuse can occur BUT permanency upraded doesnt really beat the curve ya know what I mean
I would allow silence as well.... As well as protection from energy OR resist energy... (I WOULD allow almost all 2nd level spells with a duration and even displacement, and maybe many more 3rd level maybe even 4th level spells)... I will even go so far as to say that some 5th level spells are fair game (even by RAW 5th isnt out of the question. EXAMPLE symbol of death)... BUT permanency is a 5th level spell so I stop it at 5th level if a PC wants higher than 5th then I will tell them look at RAW (also as a note i would NOT have to agree to anything not approved by raw but most duration spells of 5th level or lower I would say are fair game, even wall of fire or the wall line......\
I treat permency like contingency... contingency is a lv6 spesll and it can effect upto level 6 spells depending on your CL, I tret Permanency similar BUT the spell has to be approved (even permanent Haste I would allow; NOTE dispel is so powerful that permanency is likened to a daily event most of the time when it counts...

Last edited:

Rakusia

First Post
Dispel magic is a permanancy killer but use the right spell no one would have to know you had it on in the first place

I don't think that matters much. Buffs are common in 3rd Edition, and many buffs are "invisible" if no one sees you cast it (eg any stat buff, Protection from Elements, etc). You could get caught in an area dispel because someone is worried about an invisible ally. An ally might cast Haste on you and in an effort to strip off your Haste (because your opponent doesn't know Slow) could also get your permanent spells. (I think that's more likely to happen if you're a warrior than a caster.)

The Ring of Counterspells (with a loaded Dispel Magic) certainly helps reduce the possible panic, but it doesn't work on Greater Dispel Magic.

I'd be leery of treating Permanency as "anything goes"; that's like Persistent Spell but even more powerful. (I'm pretty sure you can't make Haste persistent, but if you could it would be an 8th-level spell that couldn't be cast before 15th-level, and IMO that would still be overpowered.)

Stormonu

Legend
Permanacy really shouldn't be a spell. It fits more in line with being a metamagic feat (Can only have one spell permanent at a time, takes 24+ hours to prepare - but feat could be taken once every 5 levels or so to have multiple permanencies) or falling under the crafting rules.

Personally, I think ANY spell that has a duration longer than Instantaneous should be open to permanacy. This could mean some attack spells (Wall of Fire, Cloudkill come to mind). Just that setting the cost would have to be right.

Ragmon

Explorer
Just create an item with detect magic-at-will, I think its fairly cheap (don't ask me how much but i think its 1000-2000 gold?).

Remove ads