• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

permanancy

NuSair

Explorer
In my game, I've changed Permanency to fit better what I believe it should be (and because it cost XP to do...)- that being if dispelled, it reacts like a magic sword or something similar and is just supressed/muted for a duration before coming back.

Ischtan

Villager
With permanency there is to note that the caster level of the dispeller must be higher than the caster level when you cast permanency.
And there are several ways to boost the caster level.
Also a normal greater dispel magic is capped at caster level 20, so if you cast your spell at caster level 20, it is relatively save.

Greenfield

Adventurer
With permanency there is to note that the caster level of the dispeller must be higher than the caster level when you cast permanency.
Yes, but that limit only applies to some of the spells that can be made Permanent. Specifically, the spells you can only cast on yourself. Spells that can be asct on yourself, others or objects aren't covered by that limit. Check the SRD/PHB to be sure.

Also a normal greater dispel magic is capped at caster level 20, so if you cast your spell at caster level 20, it is relatively save.
Not exactly. You can only add up to 20 of your caster levels to the Dispel check. Your actual level (with or without enhancements) is still what counts when it comes to determining whether you (the Dispeller) are higher level that then caster was when the spells were made Permanent.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
How do Permanency and craft item feats work with characters who do not cast spells per se, such as warlocks and binders? Any consensus on that?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Um... Can they even cast the spell? Sorry, not as familiar with those classes as I should be. :(

They cannot cast the spell directly, though I should think they could use a spell trigger device to cast it. But can it be used to alter the effects they create? And can a warlock or binder use craft item feats?

Jacob

Explorer
They cannot cast the spell directly, though I should think they could use a spell trigger device to cast it. But can it be used to alter the effects they create? And can a warlock or binder use craft item feats?

There are indeed items for the Binder and the Warlock to craft! Items specific to Binders can be created, but Sor/Wiz spellcasting is required to make them along with a Binders Soul Binding ability. Meanwhile, Warlocks are capable of crafting any item via their Imbue Item ability gained at 12th level as long as they have the proper crafting feats. However, none of their abilities (as far as I know) work under permanency, more so that their abilities are under different rules from normal spellcasting (like psionics).

Greenfield

Adventurer
Since Spell Trigger items (Wands and Staves) work only for characters with the spells in their class list (or those who can fake it with UMD), I don't think a Warlock can use most of them. As far as I know, they don't have a spell list, just Invocations that resemble spells.

And again, I'm still not as familiar with that class as I should be to make definitive statements about them, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
A binder could greatly benefit by having some item that blocks the tell-tale signs of a bad summoning and a warlock that had eldritch essence invocations embedded into weapons could broaden his combat options. Anyone using true names could use help with the range of their powers...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads