• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permanency scroll cost

gothwalk

Explorer
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

A player in one of my campaigns is asking how much a permanency scroll would cost.

Now, the cost of the spell is simple - same as any other spell. But I noted in the description of permanency that it has a variable XP cost, depending on what it's applied to. But in scribing scrolls, a caster must pay the XP cost at the time of scribing.

So which of these is correct:

1) Scribing a scroll of permanency is impossible

2) The maximum XP cost must be paid at time of scribing

3) The minimum XP cost must be paid at time of scribing

4) The permanency scroll must note how many XP were invested, and can only be used for effects up to that limit

I'm inclined towards 4, but would like some other input before I make it "official".

Cheers!
Drew

http://www.badgerofthelord.net/

kreynolds

First Post
gothwalk said:

Unless I'm mistaken, officialy, you can't make scrolls of permanency, but don't quote me on that.

In one of my games, the player has a wand of permanency with about 40 something charges left in it, but she still has to do the research, spend the gold, and spend the XP.

Vanye

Explorer
gothwalk said:
Now, the cost of the spell is simple - same as any other spell. But I noted in the description of permanency that it has a variable XP cost, depending on what it's applied to. But in scribing scrolls, a caster must pay the XP cost at the time of scribing.

So which of these is correct:

2) The maximum XP cost must be paid at time of scribing

3) The minimum XP cost must be paid at time of scribing

4) The permanency scroll must note how many XP were invested, and can only be used for effects up to that limit

I'm inclined towards 4, but would like some other input before I make it "official".

IMO, 1 is not correct.
I would say that, by the spirit of the rules, 2 is correct. I would allow 2-3, or any mix inbetween, and then inform the players that an Analyze Dweomer would allow them to determine how much "energy" (ie, XP) is available in the scroll, so that they could then determine whether they wanted to use it. Or rather, instead of just informing them, I'd have them make a knowledge Arcana check when they get a permanency scroll, to "remember" thats what you can do...

Antikinesis

First Post
Re: Re: Permanency scroll cost

kreynolds said:
In one of my games, the player has a wand of permanency with about 40 something charges left in it, but she still has to do the research, spend the gold, and spend the XP.
A fifth-level spell in a wand? That's bending the rules a bit.

-AK

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Permanency scroll cost

Antikinesis said:

A fifth-level spell in a wand? That's bending the rules a bit.

-AK

It's a "wand" but it's priced as a wondrous item...

spell level x caster level x 900gp (command word, 50 charges).

See? No bending of the rules.

android

First Post
Why not just have the scribing of permanency scroll be the same as any other spell of the same level and then have the person who uses the scroll incur the XP cost. Seems fair enough to me.

kreynolds

First Post
android said:
Why not just have the scribing of permanency scroll be the same as any other spell of the same level and then have the person who uses the scroll incur the XP cost.

I thought about that, but I didn't wanna be the first one to say it. :)

android said:
Seems fair enough to me.

Same here.

Macbrea

First Post
The other option is have the wizard/sorceror do the following.

"I scribe permanacy cast at 11th, I will put 1000 exp in it for whoever wishes to use it."

That way it can be used for some infomation but not for others. The Identify spell should tell the person how much knowledge has been imparted into a scroll. Possibly a good spellcraft check would help also.

Just thoughts on the matter,

Belares

First Post
Why not just say whoever uses the scroll, and makes whatever spell permenant with it, take the exp loss when it is cast with the appropiate spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads