• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Permanency

MasterTrancer

Explorer
As the title says: is it me, or in 5E there's no mean to make spells permanent (like in previous editions, at least up to 3.5 IIRC), leaving the option on a per case basis?

If that's the case, do you miss the (generalized) option?

For my part, I think it lends more to a low-keyed style of play, and helps with the bounded accuracy.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Permanency has some powerful implications for both game balance and setting design. I think making a spell permanent should be handled much like making a magic item -- you need a recipe, with unusual requirements and ingredients, which the DM can make as difficult as they feel necessary. Actually following the magic item creation rules in general should work well; essentially you are enchanting an area or creature as though they were an item.

Shiroiken

Legend
Permanency could work but I don't like it to be codified. What works in some games won't work in others.

For example, I knew a player that wanted to have Permanent "Enlarge" on his dwarf. This was real strong mechanically, and was permissible in 3E. However, the rest of us players mocked the idea greatly: he wanted to be a Giant Dwarf! Realizing how that sounded, he decided that he mechanical benefit was not worth the social problems that would occur (both IC and OOC). A group less into the social aspect of the game and more into power-gaming would have no problem with this.

The biggest caveat in 5E for permanency would be Concentration spells. Unless the Permanency spell had Concentration or did not work on Concentration spells, it would open up a HUGE can of brokeness.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The biggest caveat in 5E for permanency would be Concentration spells. Unless the Permanency spell had Concentration or did not work on Concentration spells, it would open up a HUGE can of brokeness.

I think this is a big part of it. Permanency in earlier editions was effectively a "spell resource and action resource" tool - it let you have up spells not from the current day's resources, and in some cases let you have up otherwise short-lasting spells without taking the action to cast.

But now, with Concentration as a limiting factor for many buff spells, it changes the equation. Other ways to get around the spell resource part, such as potions, now require the drinker to maintain concentration. (Which might still be worthwhile if they had nothing else to concentrate on.) But permanently requiring concentration for any spell that uses it might be more limiting than useful, but not requiring it would be more broken then balanced.

I haven't looked at the non-concentration spells to see how they would fare. But I'd say leaving out permanency from the first list of spells was probably intentional. And my guess is that Contingency is more likely to come back then Permanency.

Tormyr

Hero
There are still some spells with a permanent of long term effect. As i was adapting 3.5 traps and hidden passages, I noticed there were just a few spells that had a duration of "until dispelled" or "until triggered or dispelled". Symbol jumps to my mind as well as Glyph of Warding and one of the illusion spells.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
I agree with balance issues stated above. I don't have as much experience with casters yet in 5e, so my understanding of concentration is less first hand and more just reading the books.

I think the way I'd use permanent spells in my game, however, would be entirely story-driven. If the story requires a powerful spell that's permanent, I can justify that not being covered by normal concentration rules. If my players want to investigate that option... then I'll revisit this thread and use a more rules-focused approach. After making them go on a quest for the knowledge/ingredients/power to achieve such a thing.

Trit

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
House rule: Permanency

A spellcaster can make a spell permanent by making a grave personal sacrifice. The fickle hand of fate (the DM) determines how much is appropriate; for example, a permanent disguise self might require sacrificing 1 point of Charisma, while a permanent mage hand might require sacrificing the mage's actual hand. The sacrifice, if material, is burned or disintegrated, and if the spell is dispelled (such as by a simple dispel magic), the caster does not get it back. If the caster manages to recoup the sacrifice by other means, the spell backfires in karmic punishment (e.g., if the mage regenerates his hand by divine magic, the mage hand will try to strangle him, steal from authority figures to get him in trouble, etc.).

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I think Major Illusion can be made permanent by using a 6th level spell slot. That's the big one to me. You could fill the world with Illusions.

Other big ones include Find Familiar and Find Steed both of which as long as the Familiar or Steed isn't killed or dismissed, permanent. Animate Undead is another if I'm correct. Healing Spells, it's not like the damage healed disappears on its own, as long as nothing damages you, you stay healsd

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads