• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

personal best eldrick knight

corcio

First Post
does anyone have any groovy succes/failure stories regarding their eldrich knights
i think im definitly going for this class and id like to see how it has been played by others
having never seen one played myself i dont really know what to expect

Voadam

Legend
Great for smaller parties or solo play, generally weaker than any straight character.

I'm playing a ranger 1/wizard 5/harper mage 1/ eldritch knight 8 right now and he rocks when I go solo as he can do lots of different things and be fine, but he falls way behind in power comparisons when placed next to the other characters in the campaign. He's essentially a 12th level warrior NPC class who casts spells as a 13th level wizard. So ELs balanced for a 15th level party are tough, but he does great in solos where the ELs are lower.

At one point in the solo he was captured by evil cultists and escaped with just his spellbook teleporting to a safe place to recuperate and launch his guerilla assaults from. Loading up on nothing but spells he has been targetting the bad guys one by one and been really successful while wearing just his underclothes, its been a fun solo experience.

Combat reflexes and the 20' reach thunderlance spell are a fun combo, with greater invis giving great defense.

EKs can shine in combat when they buff themselves up, but a cleric can generally do the same thing a little better.

Remathilis

Legend
corcio said:
does anyone have any groovy succes/failure stories regarding their eldrich knights
i think im definitly going for this class and id like to see how it has been played by others
having never seen one played myself i dont really know what to expect

Our planescape group has had 4 F/W/EKs. All of them held there own in Spells and Melee.

I prefer the duskblade core class or the spellsword, but thats me.

Psion

Adventurer
From NPC EK builds, I can say you have to be careful with shoring up your defenses if you want a melee/caster type char.

Remathilis said:
I prefer the duskblade core class or the spellsword, but thats me.

I think that Spellsword is a nice complement for Eldritch Knight. EK sort of maxes out the spell power, and Spellsword level trades that out for your desired level or armored-ness.

There was a Figther/Wizard/EK/Spellsword in my high level campaign built around this concept that proved pretty competant.

Duskblade, OTOH, it a one-note one-size-doesn't-fit-all inflexible class. I think building the concept with multiple classes gives you a lot more variety.

Stormborn

Explorer
I was working on a Paladin/Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight combo that never saw play, mostly just as an experiment. I was using a feat that allowed Pal multiclassing and angling for a griffen riding, lightining throwing, champion of a storm god.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as Duskblades go, I think they are great, but agree they aren't everything an armored arcanist could be. However, if what they do fits what you want from such I say go for and don't just dismiss it out of hand as being inflexible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads