• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Personal Creation - Robe of Defence - Help

stegma

First Post
Robe of Defense – Personal Item Creation

This robe grants the user to instantly buff him self with a variety of spells when entering combat. The limitation is that these buffs only last a certain time before dissipating, unlike the armor of a fighter would be continuous. It is designed to allow a wizard to buff himself instantly without taking additional rounds to do so. Spell caster is able to activate the Robe 5 times per day. All the spells are first level and are cast at minimum caster level. (Reduce costs)

Mage Armor: +4 AC *** Lasts 1 Hour
Shield: +4 AC and Protection from Magic Missile *** Lasts 1 Minute (10 Rounds)
Reduce Person: +2 Dex / -2Str. Adding +1 to AC *** Lasts 1 Minute (10 Rounds)
Protection from Hostility: +2 AC , Saves, Suppress mind affects – charm/domination *** Lasts 1 Minute (10 Rounds)
Obscuring Mist – Creates Stationary Fog 20 ft. Cube - - - 50% Miss Chance if attackers are farther than 10ft. 20% Miss Chance if attacker standing 5Feet from the fog. – Fire/Wind dissipates the fog. *** Lasts 1 Minute (10 Rounds)

Im new at Crafting – need help - Item Costing????????

I calculated the cost as follows but I am a little unsure about it. In the back of the Craft Item section it states something that makes me think the price should be a bit higher. Look at the “Adding New Abilities” - Would this price increase by 50%????

1 (Mage Armor) * 1(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) * 1 (5 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 2000G
1(Shield) * 1(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *1 (5 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 2000G
1(Reduce Person) * 1(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *1 (5 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 2000G
1(Protc. F. Hostility) * 1(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *1 (5 times/day)*1 (slotted) = 2000G
1(Obscuring Mist) * 1(CL) * 2000g (Use Activated) *1 (5 times/day) *1 (slotted) = 2000g

Total Cost: 10,000
Crafting Cost: 5,000
Crafting Time: 10 Days
XP: 400

******* but

Im wondering if it should be (which would be probably more accurate) :

2000 + 2000 x 1.5 + 2000 x 1.5 + 2000 x 1.5 + 2000 x 1.5 = 34,500 Gold

Total Cost: 34,500
Crafting Cost: 17,250
Crafting Time: 34 Days
XP: 1380 XP

In this case I would probably take out the Reduce Person because it realy doesnt do much for my character.

2000 + 2000 x 1.5 + 2000 x 1.5 + 2000 x 1.5 = 21,000

Total Cost: 21,000
Crafting Cost: 10,500
Crafting Time: 21 Days
XP: 840

IDEAS?????

Sejs

First Post
Take out the Obscuring Mist. It'll hamper you and your allies far more than help. Tag the Protection from Hostility as an appropriately typed Protection from Evil (or whatnot). Making it a catchall spell would boost it to 2nd level easy.

And yes, you'd have the pay for the multiple similar abilities cost increase on powers beyond the first. If your DM really wanted to be hard-nosed, tossing on the Quicken Spell requirement wouldn't be unreasonable either, given how the whole idea is centered around the economy of actions.

It's a good idea. But it's also a potentially expensive one as well.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Sejs said:
Take out the Obscuring Mist. It'll hamper you and your allies far more than help. Tag the Protection from Hostility as an appropriately typed Protection from Evil (or whatnot). Making it a catchall spell would boost it to 2nd level easy.

And yes, you'd have the pay for the multiple similar abilities cost increase on powers beyond the first. If your DM really wanted to be hard-nosed, tossing on the Quicken Spell requirement wouldn't be unreasonable either, given how the whole idea is centered around the economy of actions.

It's a good idea. But it's also a potentially expensive one as well.
The GM would be remiss not to price these as Quickened spells, since they are, in fact, Quickened ;)

Sejs

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
The GM would be remiss not to price these as Quickened spells, since they are, in fact, Quickened ;)
Double-Secret Quickened even, as there's several of 'em getting to go off in one round. :p

BSF

Explorer
Probably the best way to economize 5 seperate actions into a single action would be to begin with Time Stop. Of course, those bonuses are less useful to anybody capable of creating an item using a 9th level spell.

Chained contingency? Would that work? Again, an expensive option.

Basing everything around Quickened spells would be the less expensive option, but as a DM I wouldn't allow all the options to be activated with a single action going that route.

penance

First Post
wow, that does seems like rather powerful item. I would say definatly not 10k, 34k makes sense for something that could cast each spell indiviudally. All of them at once? Thats a tricky one, and definatly expensive.

Bad Paper

First Post
Five times a day? Sick.

What you have to include is time stop and some kind of quicken mechanic. Let's start the bidding at 250,000gp. I'm sure it's worth more, though.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The problem with the Time Stop option is that the Time Stop loses most of its utility since these and only these spells can be cast. And, Maximize Spell Time Stop (for five internal rounds) is a 12th level equivalent spell.

Another option is to have the 4 or 5 low level spells be merged into a single high level spell using Spell Research. Duration = duration of spell with the least duration normally or in this case, one minute per level.

I would make it level one for the first spell + 2 * the level of each additional spell. So:

1 Mage Armor
3 Mage Armor + Shield
5 Mage Armor + Shield + Reduce Person
7 Mage Armor + Shield + Reduce Person + Protection From Hostility
9 Mage Armor + Shield + Reduce Person + Protection From Hostility + Obscuring Mist

I also would not typically allow a spell cast charged item to be use activated. Instead, it should be command word activated.

1800 GP * 17 CL * 9 SL = 275,400 GP or round to 275,000 GP

Dropping the Obscuring Mist really lowers the cost. It's then down to 189,000 GP (rounded to 190,000 GP).

But, I have no problem with a Mage Armor and Shield for 5 minutes 5 times per day for 27,000 GP. Bracers of Armor +8 cost 64,000 GP and that is not limited to 25 minutes per day.

kenobi65

First Post
The issue, as others have noted, is that "instantly" triggering 4 or 5 spells is dang powerful. The "limitation" of the spells only lasting a while isn't much of a limitation...the only real downside versus having the spells "always on" is that you won't have them up and running until your initiative comes up in the first round.

Were a player to ask me if he could make something like this, my first response would be "no". My second response might be, "well, OK, but it'll cost a fortune." Which I think is the gist of what KarinsDad and Bad Paper said.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads