Personalities in the Gaming Industry and Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Shemeska said:
My worry is that when game designers talk about their work and represent them and their work on the same place as they vent on politics, it makes me worry about speaking out on my own political beliefs if I would ever want a chance to get something published in that industry if I held opinions counter to those folks.

That's probably a valid point. What I can say is that WotC doesn't do this. Sean K. Reynolds, me, and Erik Mona are some known people in one camp. There are a few designers and developers at WotC who are in the opposing camp. All concerened had conversations about this during times of political stress and everybody involved got to keep their jobs.

Now to use names of defunct political organizations and nameless people as examples:

There is a person who, in real life, is very much on the opposite side of the fence from me politically. We've debated before. If I had the opportunity, I would be thrilled to work with that person on a project. Heck, I'd be happy to buy him a drink at Gen Con. But I guess you can only take that with a grain of salt since that's purely anecdotal.

Shemeska said:
For the designers/authors who are putting up their own political opinions on their own pages, it might be worthy to consider that some people might not agree with you and might not give your apolitical work a decent chance. For instance, some folks have refused to read anything by China Mieville because he's somewhere to the left of Trotsky and to an extent it carries over to some of his fiction. As a libertarian I disagree with many of his political opinions but it doesn't stop me from enjoying his fiction which I picked up on a recommendation from a friend. But not all people with different political opinions than you will be able to divorce a writers poltical differences with them from that author's apolitical work, and sales might suffer.

That's true. There are people who cannot divorce Writer X's political beliefs (which he's only stated on his own personal blog) from his apolitical RPG writing (which he's talked about everywhere else).

You know what? You can have those people. I don't want 'em.

Anyone who's been to my own blog knows that I have some pretty strong political beliefs, and I'm not shy about airing them--in that particular venue. I'm glad politics are not allowed here, and I don't get involved in political debates on other forums that do allow them.

And if someone cannot separate Hamunaptra or Strange Lands or The Iconic Bestiary from what I've posted in my own personal journal, I frankly have no use for them. Even as customers.

I refuse to let the fact that I have a public voice (albeit a minor one, in a niche industry) keep from saying whatever I want to in my "normal" voice.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Whisperfoot said:
That's probably a valid point. What I can say is that WotC doesn't do this. Sean K. Reynolds, me, and Erik Mona are some known people in one camp. There are a few designers and developers at WotC who are in the opposing camp. All concerened had conversations about this during times of political stress and everybody involved got to keep their jobs.

You guys are a bit visible on that suffice to say and I've never seen anything otherwise from the opposing camp, so to speak. *shrug* It doesn't bother me much as long as you all write cool stuff and personal political opinion doesn't leak into gaming stuff. And I'm not aware of anytime it ever has.

Heck, among my own gaming group, last election it was an even split 50/50 on who voted for who, and it never became an issue for us. Though there was one player who got to say 'Bush is not my president!' because, well, he was Canadian ;)

There is a person who, in real life, is very much on the opposite side of the fence from me politically. We've debated before. If I had the opportunity, I would be thrilled to work with that person on a project. Heck, I'd be happy to buy him a drink at Gen Con. But I guess you can only take that with a grain of salt since that's purely anecdotal.

Gotcha, and I'm the same way considering that my favorite game designer is probably on the utter opposite side of the political fence from me, and I'd sell my players' kidneys to work with them on something. *chuckle*

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
The US is very polarized right now, and nerves are raw. Making your political viewpoints public in a business-related forum is likely to cost you some business--right or wrong, it's just part of life. People have very strong reactions to these things.

However, I don't think many people would hold your views against you if expressed in a non-business forum. That way, they can get all of your gaming goodness and avoid the things that make them feel bad.

My advice: keep it on your own site, and keep it well separated from the gaming stuff. People shouldn't see it on the front page--they should have to click to get there, and they should be warned what they're in for.

Last edited:

Politics and gaming have oh-so much in common that it will have to wait until a seperate thread. IMHO, its a free country and to get upset that someone, such as an author of D&D or other gaming materials, has an opinion contrary to your own (or just good common sense) is no good for anyone. Be free, think what you want, and let's all try to find a way to get along.

That being said, even though an 'artist' has can have political views, they should let their work speak for itself and respect the fact that people of all persuasions may enjoy what they've produced.

As per politics in actual gaming materials, . . . I'd like it if they made for better gaming and hate them if they were not fun to use.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
IMHO, I think artists (and celebs) should realize that no one really cares about their opinions on politics.

That's harsh, but it's pretty much the truth. If I wanted insightful political commentary, it wouldn't be from a supermodel or a lead singer of a band or the editor of a RPG magazine.

James Heard

Explorer
Just because people of all persuasions may enjoy something a person might create in no way makes them responsible for creating something that they all do though. Ultimately an artist's primary responsibility is to themselves. Some creative types might be fine with attempting to please everyone, but others absolutely rely on upseting some people in order to please others and themselves. There's no absolute here except your own principles as a creative person, as it should be (unless you've been hired to produce a specific product - then you've specifically signed away some portion of your ability to voice your own opinion for the good of your paycheck).

James Heard

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
IMHO, I think artists (and celebs) should realize that no one really cares about their opinions on politics.
And in response I think that anyone who doesn't care should realize they're under no obligation to read, watch, or in any way pay attention to them. Nor should a sincere and brilliant display of apathy toward someone's opinions invalidate it, or cause them to in some way feel obligated to stop expressing them. People don't have opinions because other people care, they have them because they care. Changing someone else's opinion on something is just gravy and ego.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
trancejeremy said:

That's harsh, but it's pretty much the truth. If I wanted insightful political commentary, it wouldn't be from a supermodel or a lead singer of a band or the editor of a RPG magazine.
Are you implying that because someone enjoys some celebrity status he or she should stop expressing his or her opinion?

Otherwise, I really don't get your point. I don't really care what your opinion on politics is (nor that of the vast majority of the people in the world), but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell all of you that.

(BTW, the premise behind your first sentence is clearly and provably untrue. Look at what has happened to some celebrities in the last few years who have spoken up about their politics. Obviously, quite a few people care quite a bit.)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads