• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Personality

Cwheeler

First Post
This is a simple little rule that I came up with that I thought I may as well share. It is available to all characters, as part of character cration.

Personality
You may shift one of your racial modifiers to another ability score. You cannot choose a score that you already get a bonus to.

It just allows for a little bit more flexability in race/calss combinations, and encourages people to be inventive with their characters.

Any takers?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I wouldn't call it broken, because it doesn't grant any additional bonuses or advantages, but it does make humans feel less special. I myself use the same rule, but I also give humans a second +2.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If looks like it duck, it can squawk like a goose or bay like a wolf hound in my world.

You can build somebody who is human to all visual clues and has game stats of a deva... or vice versi... you can reflavor the mechanics of your race exactly like reflavoring powers. An interesting example of this was mentioned as someone playing a lame human martial artist (who was statistically a dwarf). A long tooth shifter with different envisioned appearance could be called a damphyr... or a dragon bound one... or tiefling.

Racial identities are more wired to appearances like abilities ie they are true races not species.... life spans and sizes are fluff generally speaking... but history skill seems associated with long life span.

That said I seen some interesting backgrounds which shifted one the races primaries to a different one (the example was for dwarves) and I think they changed one of the race skills those were very cool and I would allow them... a feat seems a heavy cost (but only because the shift was very appropriate see I let myself be influenced by fluff - but actually I want backgrounds to do more powerful things).

Last edited:

Pale Jackal

First Post
Re-skinning a PC is great.

One house rule that was suggested here, and I now use is: follow the rules, but use the 20-point buy instead of the 22-point buy AND give everyone +2 to the stat of their choice.

For optimal balance, you might need to adjust a couple things (debuff Humans slightly, maybe fiddle with Dwarven Weapon Training), but other than that, the stat arrays are pretty much the same as 22-point buy.

Remove ads