Peter Jackson discusses directing "The Hobbit"

kengar

First Post
johnsemlak said:
What's complicated about the rights (john asks naively)? I thought New Line also owned the rights to the Hobbit, becuse they didn't want someone else doing it and competing with LotR.

OK, this is how it was explained to me. New Line bought the rights to make the Hobbit from Saul Zaentz Co. The rights to distribute the Hobbit, however, are owned by another studio (United Artists, iirc). Probably having to do with the 1977 animated version.

Last edited:

orbitalfreak

First Post
I've never read The Hobbit, but:
Instead of going from 13 (unlucky number), then getting Bilbo, why not start with a reduced number of dwarves in the film, say six, and Bilbo will be lucky number seven. Keeps with the theme of (un)lucky numbers, and has less characters to complicate the film version.

kengar

First Post
orbitalfreak said:
Instead of going from 13 (unlucky number), then getting Bilbo, why not start with a reduced number of dwarves in the film, say six, and Bilbo will be lucky number seven. Keeps with the theme of (un)lucky numbers, and has less characters to complicate the film version.

I originally thought the same thing, but I worry it's a significant change from the book and would get the purists up in arms. Also, on screen you can make some more dialogue to give the underused characters a bit more depth. After all, if PJ could hang together 9 in FOTR, 14 isn't THAT big a stretch is it? ;)

Lazybones

Adventurer
orbitalfreak said:

So it would be Gandalf and the Seven Dwarfs? (well, 6 1/2, really)

I'm thinking they want to avoid the number 7, really.

Tsyr

Explorer
Yeah, I would really have to say I don't buy the innability to make it work with all the dwarves... The animated version of the hobbit made it work just fine! I think you could do a LOT worse for a Hobbit film adaptation than that film.

And it's a great stepstone too... Kids I show it too love it, can't get enough of it.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Well, i really would like to see a Hobbit movie. If not just for something to look forward too. :)

I think i am one of the few people who read the Hobbit before LOTR. :)

kengar

First Post
I "finished" the Hobbit before I finished LOTR. I had been assigned FOTR in Jr. High English class years ago & hated it. It wasn't until my 20's that I read LOTR from start to finish (I read the Hobbit first, then read LOTR). Since then I've probably read the 4 books through 6-7 times & the Simarillion once.

Remove ads