• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PF 1st Time DM Posting my Experience

Tabris_

First Post
Hello. Like the title itself says i'm dming Pathfinder for the first time and decided to share my experiences.

But first let me introduce myself. I'm a 22 years old and i think i began playing RPGs when i was 12. Unlike most people i began playing as a DM, but those were times of improvisation, downloaded adventures of questionable quality and lack of understanding of the rules (BTW, i didn't have any RPG book at the time, just sheet making programs and dice).

Time has passed by and i didn't played (or DMed) as much as i wanted, it happened sporadically but my days of having a constant campaign were long gone.

This changed last year as i got to play again with some of my first players and some people i know for a long, long time. I DMed Savage Worlds and M&M without a lot of preparation, most improvising my way throught it, but never touched my group's favorite game, D&D.

Again it changed with time, putting my indie rpg convictions behind i god pathfinder and decided to DM. The problem? I have players way more experienced than me and really if wasn't all that good at pretending i know what i'm doing i would not be dming at all.

My players have being playing 3.0 for a loooooooong time, mostly because they didn't want to spend money updating to 3.5 and because of some lame personal opinions. They don't have acess to many books but most of them know how to min-max with what they have. In this i have an advantage as i speak english (we are all brazilians and some of my players don't know english very well) and have a big collection of both WoTC, Paizo and 3pp books.

Them we got to playing. And i got to bring down some unbalancing holy cows of the group that i found unbalancing. The must important ones are two:

1 - Ability scores are generated by 3e standard rolling, except it's repeated 3 times as if the players was making 3 character and them he picks the best.
2 - When rolling HD at lvl up only rolls higher than half the dice value are used. So if a cleric lvls up only results of 5, 6, 7 or 8 would count to his hit dice.

I addressed those house rules the following way
1 - Ability scores are bought with a point build system but in the end i devised a incredibly overpowered system and noticed that the group house rule was not that bad at all. The table follows:

Code:
35 points point build with the following table.

Ability Score

Point Cost
2 - As normal, all results counts but i let them reroll 1s. This avoids invincible characters as they already receive bonus HP because of Pathfinder's favorite class rules.

Finally, about 3.5 content i decided that it's allowed but i reserve the right to ban anything i feel is game breaking (as i did to the Frenzied Berseker prc)

Next i'll post the character sheets and i'll tell about or first sessions and how i decided to change things to correct my own mistakes.

Last edited:

Tabris_

First Post
First, i forgot to tell you guys i'm using the Forgotten Realms setting, specifically the North.

And there goes the first character sheet, the party' druids and only character capable of healing.

Character Name: Garu Grimtotem
Player: Rafael

Human NG Druid of Mielliki 6

Background: Druidic emissary from the Druids of Tall Trees to the Sky Pony Tribe, where he became friends with Calisto. He is the adopted son of druidic circle leader, a Bauriaur name Hukan. Unknown to him his parents were from the corrupt Blue Bear tribe and died when Hellgate Keep, where most of the tribe was at the time, was destroyed. The totem of the tribe now poses as a good and helpful spirit, trying to manipulate him back to the dark path of his tribe.

STR 16 (+3), DEX 16 (+3), CON 16 (+3), INT 14 (+2), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 10 (+0)

HP: 55/55
Init: +3
CA: 20 (23 with Barkskin), Touch 14, Flat-Footed 17

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +9

BAB +4, BMC +7, DMC 19

Attacks: +2 Darkwood Ghost-Touch Scimitar (+9, 1d6+5/18-20x2), Composite Short Bow [+4 Str] (+7, 1d6+7/x3)

Feats: Nature Magic (From Complete Adventurer, not sure that's the name in english), Dodge, Extra Wild Shape, Amplified Healing (CD too), Two-Weapon Fighting

Features and Abilities: Nature bond (Wolf companion), Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland stride, Trackless step, Resist nature's lure, Wild shape (4/day)

Skills: Acrobatics 5 (+8), Climb 5 (+11), Flight¹ 3 (+9), Handle Animal 1 (+4), Heal 5 (+12), Knowledge (Geography) 2 (+7), Knowledge (Nature) 2 (+7), Knowledge (Planes) 2 (+7), Knowledge (Religion) 2 (+7), Perception 5 (+12), Ride 1 (+7), Spellcraft 3 (+8), Survival 2 (+9), Swim 4 (+10)

NoteworthyEquipment: +2 Darkwood Ghost-Touch Scimitar, Chainshirt, Large Wood Shield, +4 Str Composite Shortbow, Boots of Elvenkind, Scrolls (Wind Control, Hallow and Water Walking), Potion of Jumping, Atemporal Oil, 8565 GP

Prepared Spells:

Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic, Stabilize, Detect Poison, Read Magic
1st Lvl: Cure Light Wounds, Sandblast (Complete Divine), Entangle
2nd Lvl: Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, Bambles (Complete Divine)
3rd Lvl: Cure Moderate Wounds, Call Lighting

¹Not sure if he could really get ranks in this skill

GM Commentary said:
I find this character to be underpowered both as the party's healer and as overall character. The player is not good at min-maxing and i think it becomes obvious when you look at some of his feat choices. I suggested him to get them Spontaneous Healer feat from Complete Divine but he quickly gave up when he noticed that he didn't have the necessary skill ranks to qualify.

Last edited:

Tabris_

First Post
Now with the wizard. Just one more and the core group is finished.
Character Name: Midalin
Player: Raphael (Yes, two guys with the same name :p)

Sun Elf CG Wizard (Evoker) 5¹

Background: Elven researcher from Evermeet sent to retrieve the Tome of The Branded King, joined the group after they were banned from Luskan.

STR 11 (+0), DEX 18 (+4), CON 16 (+3), INT 21 (+5), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 10 (+0)

HP: 39/39
Init: +4
CA: 14, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 10

Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6

BAB +2, BMC +2, DMC 16

Feats: Eschew Materials, Empower Spell, Spell Mastery, Spell Penetration

Features and Abilities: Arcane bond (Bonded Talisman), Intensive Magic +2, Force Missile 8/day 1d4+2

Skills: Appraise 1 (+9), Climb 1 (+1), Flight² 1 (+8), Knowledge (Arcane) 5 (+13), Knowledge (Geography) 3 (+11), Knowledge (History) 5 (+13), Knowledge (Local) 4 (+12), Knowledge (Planes) 5 (+13), Linguistics 1 (+9), Perception 1 (+3), Ride 1 (+5), Spellcraft 5 (+13), Stealth 1 (+5), Swim 1 (+1)

Noteworthy Equipment: Wand of Magic Missile (50 charges), Invisibility Scroll, Cure Light Wonds Potion

Known Spells:

1st lvl: Burning Hands, Floating Disk, Magic Missile, Shocking Graps, Mage Armor, Reduce Person, Sleep, Color Spray, Chill Touch
2nd lvl: Continual Flame, Darkness, FLaming Sphere, Gust of Wind, Sourching Ray, Shatter, Acid Arrow, Invisibility
3nd lvl: Daylight, Fireball, Lighting Bolt, Tiny Hut, Wind Wall, Fly, Slow, Vampiric Touch

Prepared Spells:

Orisons: Detect Magic, Light, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, Read Magic
1st Lvl: 2x Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Sleep, Chill Touch, Shocking Graps
2nd Lvl: 2x Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray, Aciid Arrow
3rd Lvl: Fireball, Flu, Vampiric Touch

¹He just got into lvl 6 but the stats were not updated yet
²Not sure if he could really get ranks in this skill

GM Commentary said:
Not a very optimized character but way more efficient than the druid. If only he could stop using the wrong spell at the wrong time...

Last edited:

Tabris_

First Post
Now the last of the active characters, the Barbarian. Two new players are coming next session.

Please comment on the builds.

Character Name: Calisto
Player: Dilson

Human CG Barbarian 6

Background: A Uthgardt Barbarian of the Sky Pony Tribe, he wants to prove himself worth to be the heir to his tribe chiefdom by taming a Pegasus. He also seeks for the troll mercenary that killed his father.

STR 20 (+5), DEX 14 (+2), CON 18 (+4), INT 14 (+2), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 10 (+0)

HP: 85/85
Init: +2
CA: 17, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 15

Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +2

BAB +6/1, BMC +11, DMC 23

Attacks: +1 Greatsword (+11, 2d6+5/19-20x2), Composite Long Bow [+0 Str] (+8, 1d8/x3)

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Ancestral Relic (Exalted Deeds. His greatsword is the weapon), Supreme Cleave¹, Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer)

Features and Abilities: Rage powers are Intimidating Glare, Scent and Renewed Vigor

Skills: Acrobatics 1 (+26²), Climb 1 (+9), Craft (Weaponsmithing) 2 (+7), Diplomacy 5 (+5), Handle Animal 2 (+5), Intimidate 7 (+10) Knowledge (Natureza) 1 (+6), Linguistics 1 (+3), Perception 4 (+7), Ride 3 (+8), Stealth 6 (+8), Survival 3 (+6)

Noteworthy Equipment: +1 Greatsword, Elven chainmail, Spiked Shield, waraxe, composite longbow, Ring of Jumping, Bracers of Armor +2.

¹After a HUGE argument over he wanting to be a Frenzied Berseker while i banned the class we settled in letting him get this class feature as a feat, i didn't talk about requirements so i think he tought he could get it right away. I'm going to stats the requirements for this essencially homebrew feat so he will only be able to get about at the same lvl he would if he could get the PRC.
²Small problem with the player thinking his 3.0 overpowered ring of jumping gives bonuses to all Acrobatics checks

GM Commentary said:
The most optimized character in the group, he is a monster in battle and kills easily. Nice think i forbidden frenzied bersekers because with that PRC it would be really overpowered.

SolosAddie

Explorer
For the druid, two-weapon fighting is probably a road best avoid, very feat heavy even for pathfinder, besides if you're in melee wildshape is probably the best option.

Natural spell (feat which allows spell casting in animal form should be in there)

More than that, for healing, let him/the party buy/find wands of lesser vigor or cure light wounds. Otherwise he needs to use more of his slots for healing spells just in case, which is not much fun.

all just my opinion of course

Tabris_

First Post
For the druid, two-weapon fighting is probably a road best avoid, very feat heavy even for pathfinder, besides if you're in melee wildshape is probably the best option.

Natural spell (feat which allows spell casting in animal form should be in there)

More than that, for healing, let him/the party buy/find wands of lesser vigor or cure light wounds. Otherwise he needs to use more of his slots for healing spells just in case, which is not much fun.

all just my opinion of course
Thx for the reply. He already have Natural spell, it's the Nature Magic feat, i just got the name wrong.

I agree she should use wildshape in melee but for some reason he rarely uses wildshape at all. I'll try speaking to him about that.

questing gm

First Post
Interesting thread.

I am planning to create a sandbox campaign based on the same region (Silver Marches and by extension the rest of the North) with the same rules. ;)

Just to make sure, are you running pre- or post- Spellplague? ;)

Tabris_

First Post
Interesting thread.

I am planning to create a sandbox campaign based on the same region (Silver Marches and by extension the rest of the North) with the same rules. ;)

Just to make sure, are you running pre- or post- Spellplague? ;)
Pre, we are not fans of the new Realms. For me and my players it's another setting, not the realms we know.

Remove ads