Pathfinder 2E PF2 Peeves

evilbob

Explorer
even if the character doesn't use his reaction with the shield, he's still getting the shield's AC bonus on every attack.
Really? I didn't get that from the rules. But I don't think anyone knows how shields are supposed to work right now...

Edit: Ok, re-read: you only get your shield bonus to AC if you use an action EVERY TURN to "raise a shield." So that extra 2 AC will cost an action every time. That's horrible.

Last edited:

Arakasius

First Post
There is a 12th level fighter feat that allows you to skip that and always have shield up. But yeah basically fighter only. However in this game 2AC is vastly more important than it was in PF1. You can argue that it’s even OP, since it’s the only way to get really high AC.

As for classes and silo’ing they clearly want each class to feel and play differently. It’s not like
1) there is a necessity to have those feats to be viable since every class has full BAB
and
2) there exists a way to get class features with archetyping.

Now I think I’d prefer making a number of feats belong to lists like ‘Martial’, ‘Savage’, etc similar to spell lists and allow access through the feat type than the class type. Aka I’m a rogue and want to take martial combat feats. Regardless I agree with the core principle to keep martials more unique instead of having them open to everyone (aka casters take all their good stuff like PF1) Would I mind if a few basic combat stuff (as well as other utility) went to a class agnostic list? Sure and I expect that will happen with some basic things like power attack/quick draw.

evilbob

Explorer
I just realized that it takes a resonance point to drink a healing potion. I think that shouldn't be required; otherwise most level 1 melee characters are pretty screwed.

Satyrn

First Post
Really? I didn't get that from the rules. But I don't think anyone knows how shields are supposed to work right now...

Edit: Ok, re-read: you only get your shield bonus to AC if you use an action EVERY TURN to "raise a shield." So that extra 2 AC will cost an action every time. That's horrible.

Yeah, It sure does look bad. It might be one of my pet peeves, too, but because it looks like it would result in players regularly deciding on a course of action for their round, only to say end up saying "oh, but I won't beable to raise my shield, " and then take another minute ir two reconsidering their turn.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I just realized that it takes a resonance point to drink a healing potion. I think that shouldn't be required; otherwise most level 1 melee characters are pretty screwed.

Remember after you use all your Resonance you can still make a DC 10 check to use an item.

Starfox

Hero

PF2 reads as if it will produce 5 minute adventuring days. In PF1, casters could blow all their resources in one fight. Now, everybody can.

* Few spells last more than 1 minute.
* Fewer spell slots.
* Resonance limits items used per day
* Attack bonus vs. AC setup basically guarantees you get hurt every fight.
* Only clerics can now heal enough to extend the adventuring day

Arakasius

First Post
I think the healing concern is a little overblown. My party’s level 11 characters that have about 3-4 invested magic items each have between 7-12 resonance left for healing. Considering how much higher level potions and wands heal for i think the 5 minute adventuring concerns are a bit overblown.

That being said I’d not object to buffs to things like medicine. Make battle medic something that anyone trained in medicine can do after every battle and then have battle medic do a bit more of used in combat.

Aldarc

Legend
Kind of annoying that bigger dragons and elementals have bigger weaknesses. So if a Level 1 Cleric uses Tidal Surge on a Fire Mephit it presumably does 3 damage. But if that same character uses it on an Elder Fire Elemental, a Level 11 creature, that same Tidal Surge does 15 damage.
I kinda like that. The "purer" they become elementally the more they suffer those elemental vulnerabilities. It also gives lesser elementals more reason to be on the frontlines of elemental planar conflicts and wars.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
1) I would say the fundamental problem is that combining modular abilities with tight silos seems perfect from a game design perspective ("Look, I'm creating strong class flavor while still leaving lots of room for customization!"), but most players just don't like it. People who want freedom of options feel overly constrained, people who want fidelity to classic tropes feel overwhelmed by options, and people who value simulation don't like the seeing the interior workings of the sausage factory that much, metaphorically.

2) I understand the premise of the +level to rolls, I just feel like having your level bonus swamp your other bonuses makes your own choices feel less meaningful. Yes, I know that it really acts as a restriction band for on-level challenges and is pretty much illusory, but it just doesn't feel needed. I'd rather see high level narratives supported by feat choices and proficiencies.

3) It feels sad that the really interesting concepts they've introduced, like the 3 action combat and the +10/-10 crit system, are being overshadowed by market-deaf choices in class design. The most popular thing Pathfinder introduced mechanically was archetypes, building a relatively simple base class chassis and then introducing a ton of archetypes to modify them would have been much more well received, I feel.

4) Less boxes. People don't like boxes. Don't put rules in boxes. Organize by good font choices and spacing.

Remove ads