Pathfinder 2E PF2E Gurus teach me! +

I suspect that's significantly less true of PF2e than it has been of most D&D versions. There's still practical issues that probably bottom-load the level's played, but I suspect people are immensely less likely to abandon a game of PF2e that starts getting into double digits than 3e or PF1e (I won't speak of 5e because I lack enough experience with it to have an opinion).
how many official adventures have pf2 and how many of those are 11+?

?

if the last level examples are ridiculous, then why are you coming to me about it? i didn't start them.

no. screw this logic. it's not okay to ignore the design concerns of the second half of the game just because it isn't played as often, especially when ignoring the design concerns of the half of the game is part of the reason it doesn't get played as often. also - this is pf2e, not 5e. how do you know the proportions are the same?
I didn't mention ignoring it, but it's not 50% it's 10%.

Thomas Shey

Legend

Before I bother to research this, is this question based on the combination of A) Assuming most people only play in published adventuers, and B) Only play through one adventure even if others are available which are compatible with the earlier ones in level match? Because if so, I don't really agree with the first and absolutely see no reason the second is true.

I know there are several adventures that are specifically for higher-level characters in PF2. Night of the Grey Death is for 16th level, Shadows at Sundown is for 11th. As to Adventure Paths, all the 6-part Adventures go past 11th. Fists of the Ruby Phoenix starts at 11th level and it's a 3-part Adventure Path.

I didn't mention ignoring it, but it's not 50% it's 10%.

How much of that is because, at later levels, games break down in D&D? I mean, I feel like PF2 probably has a higher retention rate comparatively speaking because it has a lot more balance that makes those levels fun and challenging for everyone in the party.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I know there are several adventures that are specifically for higher-level characters in PF2. Night of the Grey Death is for 16th level, Shadows at Sundown is for 11th. As to Adventure Paths, all the 6-part Adventures go past 11th. Fists of the Ruby Phoenix starts at 11th level and it's a 3-part Adventure Path.

I went and checked a bit, and there's at least four that run from 1-20.

How much of that is because, at later levels, games break down in D&D? I mean, I feel like PF2 probably has a higher retention rate comparatively speaking because it has a lot more balance that makes those levels fun and challenging for everyone in the party.

That's the thing; in PF2e and D&D3e, there were non-trivial reasons to, to be blunt, run away screaming at higher levels for both GMs and players. I have little evidence this is generically true with PF2e.

Now, the general "games just come apart" issues aren't going to be any less, but assuming that's the cause of the majority of those is just that, an assumption.

Staffan

Legend
if there was a spell that lets you be an unoptimized fighter for one turn even if you spend resources to get something the fighter has for free this would be the strongest spell in the game.

The "balance" of the game is that you can multiply the efficiency of the fighter
The polymorph spells more-or-less turn you into a level-appropriate generic martial, albeit reskinned to look like something else and likely getting some utility out of it as well (e.g. movement speed and/or senses). As an example, a 9th level martial will look something like this before class-specific shenanigans (e.g. rage, extra fighter proficiency):

Attack: +18 (expert proficiency +13, Str +4, item +1)
Damage: 2d8+4+1d6 energy one-handed, or 2d12+4+1d6 energy two-handed. These prioritize damage over tricksiness.
AC: 27 (base 10, trained proficiency +11, item + Dex +5, magic +1)

Looking at a 5th level polymorph-style spell, we have:
Elemental form (turning into an Earth elemental): Attack +18, Damage 2d10+9, AC 28
Aerial form (turning into a pterosaur): Attack +18, Damage 3d6+8, AC 27 (plus of course getting a flight speed, which ain't nothing).
Primal casters additionally have:
Animal form (various): Attack +18, Damage 4d8+8, AC 27.
Dinosaur form (various): Attack +18, Damage 4d8+6, AC 27.
Insect form (turning into a beetle): Attack +18, Damage 4d10+2, AC 27.
5th-level animal, dinosaur, and insect form all turn you into a Huge creature, as opposed to the Large aerial form or the Medium elemental form, which might sometimes be relevant.

Remove ads