PFS 2-15: Shades of Ice I - Written in Blood

mkb152

Explorer
Start date: 8/13/11

Characters:

Etain, h/e rogue (Played by vl.arandur)
Foroque, human Brutal Pugalist / Lion Shaman (played by PeteZero)
Lien 'Flametounge' Taliosa, female gnome Oracle (played by DalkonCledwin)
Kjett, male human(Ulfen), Magus (Played by HolyMan)

OOC Thread

The meeting in Absalom with Drandle Dreng nearly a month ago was brief, as always. “I have a routine mission for you, though a dangerous routine mission,” the old man whispered in the great hall in the Grand Lodge. Suffering from a cold and weak from lack of food and rest, the old venture-captain looked quite possibly the worst you’d ever seen him. Through wracking coughs he explained, “An ally of ours in the Land of the Linnorm Kings—Rognvald Skagni—is writing a lengthy report on the state of government in the northern countries of Avistan. I received a letter from him just yesterday requesting several key documents from the vaults here to help him finish the report.” Venture-Captain Dreng patted a large, heavy-looking chest next to him. “These are the documents, and I need you to board a ship north to deliver them to Skagni.”

Dreng tried to stand at that point, but a fit of coughing sent him back into his seat. He gestured for a well-dressed, impeccably kept man standing in the shadows of the room to approach and whispered raspy orders to him. The man picked up a small pouch and a large key and handed them both to the party. “Venture-Captain Dreng is unwell, as you can see. He wished me to give you this key and this pouch of gold. The key opens the chest, and the gold will buy you passage and get you from the Linnorm coast to Trollheim, where Skagni resides. Whatever you do, do not let the chest out of your sight and do not, under any circumstances, allow it to be searched. These documents are for Mr. Skagni’s eyes only. Are we understood?”

Dreng’s nameless servant waited for a reply and then smiled. “Good. Now run along; Venture-Captain Dreng needs his rest.

[sblock=Actions]If anyone wishes to find any information about your destination (knowledge rolls, gather information, etc.) please do so.[/sblock]

Last edited:

DalkonCledwin

First Post
the exuberant little Gnome lady smiles keenly to the servant and says "Yes, understood. Though it would perhaps help if we knew a little more about where it is we are being sent to? I mean if we are supposed to travel there things like information about the weather, potential enemies, and other such things would be useful. Though I suppose thats why they hire us Pathfinders in the first place isn't it? Then again, if this Mr. Skagni is someone who happens to need Pathfinder Documents, then perhaps there has once before already been a Pathfinder Mission to his realm? Wouldn't it make sense then that some information is known about this location and that you in fact could help alert us to possible Dangers?" Having said the entire previous paragraph in what amounted to a single breath, she concludes this statement with what appears to be a sort of puppy-dog eyes look.

Last edited:

PeteZero

First Post
Farouq sighs, "so, highly secretive, hm? Hope we don't run into any patrols. Do you know the city better and if any searches are likely? Maybe you can give us a written statement by someone higher, who can help us to get through a bit more easily?"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Kjett, male human(Ulfen), Magus 1

Kjett had sat quiet and patient as he listen to the brief instructions from the old venture-captain, but his mind was racing.

{{ Finally to return to the frozen lands of the Linnorm Kings! To use what I have learned here against the threats to my people. }} he thought drawing a smile to his face. {{ I can't wait to see the face of the first Ice Troll that crosses my path. }}

That had been almost a month ago and he has counted the miles since, as he and the others traveled north towards home.

"It will be a grand sight to these eyes to once more behold the snow capped mountains of home." he says to his companions one evening around a warm fire. "After Trollheim perhaps we can travel to Jol where I was raised."

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +1
AC: 15 (11 Flat-Footed, 14 Touch)
HP: 14/14
CMB: +3 CMD: 14
Fort: +4(+9, cold weather) Reflex: +1 Will: +2
Speed: 30'

Current Weapon in Hand: Battleaxe (+3, 1d8+3, Crit/x3)

Special Abilities:
Arcane Pool (5/5)
Fortified (1/1)

Spells:
Cantrips - Detect Magic, Acid Splash, Mage Hand
1st Level - Shield, Truestrike

One Use Items:
rations (2/2)
torches (2/2)
alchemist's fire (1/1)[/sblock]

vl.arandur

First Post
"Bah," mutters Etain, wrapped up in furs; even the fire is not enough to shield her form the penetrating cold which seeks to pierce her to the very core. "Give me the jungle any day, none of this freezing ice, locks you up so you can't even move."

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Lien wrapped in her furs is as exuberant as ever "I don't know, the cold weather might be a nice change of pace. I mean you never know what could happen to you in a jungle. At least in snowy weather you can see the enemy coming from potentially miles away. Isn't that right? Don't get me wrong, the sheer cold of the snowy weather is never fun, but at least those of us who prepared for this trip won't be suffering much worse than say a Lizardfolk who travels in slightly colder weather than he is used to."

mkb152

Explorer
It Begins!

The nameless assistant simply smirked at Lien and notes: "Well, it's in the land of the Linnorm kings, and I'm sure you've been reading your Chronicles enough to know that it's cold that far north, hmm? Prepare accordingly."

OOC: If you haven't yet bought cold-weather gear, do so now. If not, let me know.

As you bonded on the trip north, it gets progressively colder. By the time you reach Trollheim, it is just above freezing during the day, but nights are quite cold and your waterskins take most of the day to unthaw. When you reach Trollheim, you have little trouble following the directions given to you by the venture-captain and his nameless lackey.

Where the directions indicate Skagni’s house should be stands only the charred husk of a burnt-out building. Bits of burnt timber and ruined furniture lie scattered about, but if anything remained after the fire, it seems to have been picked over and looted. Though most of the walls are blackened with soot, a patch along the former front of the residence still shows relatively clean, white walls. Smeared across those white walls, written in reddish-brown letters four feet tall, are the words, “Pathfinders go home.”

GM: What does each character want to do?

Make rolls as necessary. Only constraints are I need to know:
a) where you are on the map, and
b) who has the chest?

[sblock=MAP]
PFS2-15a.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

PeteZero

First Post
Before heading off, Farouq prepares himself for the long journey ahead. As they travel along he will keep his eyes open, for anything unusal, also look for the best route through the severe weather, making sure his companions don't get exposed too much.
Loooking at the burnt house, "this doesn't look good, we should be careful," with this he puts down the chest.

OOC: Wih preparation Farouq changes longstrider for endure elements.I assume he will carry the chest, as his speed stays at 30, or anyone else who wants to volunteer?

DalkonCledwin

First Post
"No Siree, this certainly does not look good. I mean why were we sent here if all we were going to have to do was turn right around and go home? I mean this man obviously doesn't want the pathfinders here if he went through the trouble of burning down his own home. Seriously, what was he thinking burning down his own home? I mean you need a home to live in don't you?" the exuberant Gnome explains more to herself than to anyone else as she starts absentmindedly playing with a few of the lose rocks.

OOC: Okay so sue me, she may be smart enough, but she is as wise as a pebble. So while she probably would understand why the house is burnt down if someone explained it to her, she won't necessarily think of the reason all on her own.

Lien however is located at location G-5 for convenience sake.

Remove ads