• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PH(B) Soldier Background (Art is new)

Azgulor

Adventurer
Time on Earth is finite. I wouldn't hold myself up as a paragon of open-mindedness, but spending hundreds of words and minutes/hours of your life over something you dislike to clarify how much you dislike it is nonsensical.

But it IS the internet...

I don't think claiming the high ground is in the cards for you after calling people haters for no good reason.

But you're right in that I've wasted way too much time talking about this. It's sad, though, that the launch of 5e hasn't returned these boards to the friendly place where people discussed things without name-calling that drew me here years ago.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I don't think samurai actually fits into the definition of soldier very well. A minor quibble, but there you go. Samurai were more about formal dueling, honorable one-on-one combat, etc. If they wanted to portray a Japanese-style feudal "soldier" they should have gone with an ashigaru, which formed the ranks of massed infantry in large battles.

ashigaru___female_by_dinmoney-d3ewtcm.jpg

I might be getting the PHB mostly for the backgrounds. They are a great add-on for any kind of game. I'm really not sure if my group is moving on from 4E or not.

I'm not planning on moving past 3.5, but I think the backgrounds are a good idea to import back to that (that and some of the planar changes, like the idea of Border Elemental planes).

At least in 5e I'm seeing good ideas I can pillage gleefully for taking back to my preferred edition, and even if it's not my preferred edition I could see myself playing a 5e game if it was the only game I could find.

I don't think samurai actually fits into the definition of soldier very well. A minor quibble, but there you go. Samurai were more about formal dueling, honorable one-on-one combat, etc. If they wanted to portray a Japanese-style feudal "soldier" they should have gone with an ashigaru, which formed the ranks of massed infantry in large battles.

Only in some eras of Japanese history. The Samurai were originally commanders and leaders, analogous to modern Commissioned Officers. With an end to the widespread wars that had wracked Japan for centuries, the Samurai class needed to find another occupation, so the emphasis on dueling and strict interpretations of Bushido came into play as a way to embrace their warrior role in a nation that no longer needed officers commanding vast armies that clashed with each other.

pemerton

Legend
I get the impression that both of these are intended as a shorthand for describing a broader idea, without any intention of impacting the mechanics directly. Sort of RP fluff 'sound bites'.

In the first case, I equate 'can stare down a hell-hound without flinching' as in the same class as 'you are tough as nails'.
I guess I'm not really into RPG fluff "sound bites". I mean, if the descriptor says my PC is as tough as nails but s/he has 3 hp, a 6 CON and a WIS penalty to saves vs fear, then in play my PC is not going to be tough as nails at all - s/he will fall down from the first blow and most likely flee from mummies, liches etc.

Morale checks aren't a thing for PCs, are they? Are they even a thing in 5E?
OK, but if there are no morale checks then everyone face a hell hound without flinching.

Fear saves seem to be exclusively for supernatural fear, so far, in 5E (for better or worse) and do Hellhounds cause supernatural fear?
I guess I was taking hell hounds to be illustrative, or allusive to supernatural dangers and fierce monsters in general.

I've no idea if Hellhounds cause fear saves or not. But I'd say anyone with this Trait who bravely/foolishly followed through on it (and managed not to run, whether by choice or via a good roll), should be getting Inspiration.
... and it wouldn't be a stretch if the DM would give Inspiration to the PC to try to resist fear, which would be instantly spent for getting advantage on the roll. You can play Inspiration a la Fate, with both player induced Invocation and DM induced compells if you want.
Thank you, this is exactly the sort of thing I was asking about. When I read The Hitcher's post I was going to ask the question that Cyberen, in effect, answers.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable personality mechanic.

Greg K

Legend
I am not worrying about the art. My issue is with the background as written. The character is supposed to have a specialty, but the specialty offers no differentiation. Every character has the same skills, tools, equipment, and feature whether cavalry, infantry, cook, etc.. In my opinion, this is just lazy/poor design. I have a similar issue with the Hermit.

I am not worrying about the art. My issue is with the background as written. The character is supposed to have a specialty, but the specialty offers no differentiation. Every character has the same skills, tools, equipment, and feature whether cavalry, infantry, cook, etc.. In my opinion, this is just lazy/poor design. I have a similar issue with the Hermit.

They're basing it off humans in medieval times. And, sadly, for humans in medieval times... that's pretty much true. And even in the modern era, humans don't actually vary that much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads