• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PH2: Shapeshifter druid variant

Shaele

First Post
Aquatic Form feat

Piratecat said:
If you were going to house-rule a feat to add an aquatic form (or a climbing form), how would you write it?

Good question! Feats are difficult because the forms are clustered into pretty broad categories, and tries to apply the same stats and benefits to everything in that category (e.g. a "wolf" predator has the same stats as a "panther" predator. Do you include reptiles? If so, does a lizard bite for the same damage as a panther? Eep.)

Here's my first try.

Aquatic Form [Shapeshifter]
Prerequisites: Shapeshifter druid, level 5.
Benefit: You can assume a Predator form that is native to fresh or salt-water environments,
typically a shark or squid. You lose the ability to breathe air while in this form, but can
breathe and move normally. You retain your normal predator stats, and move at a 60 movement rate through the water.

At 10th level, you can extend these benefits to a Ferocious Predator shape, taking the form
of a large waterbreathing creature such as a giant squid or giant shark. You retain the
abilities of that form, and can breathe and navigate underwater at a 60 movement rate.
Normal: You cannot assume any aquatic forms.
Special: None

Thoughts on this
* I might have the names of the forms mixed up, I don't have the book in front of me
* the focus is on providing mobility and water breathing, not huge combat benefits
* stretching it across medium and large predator forms gives some combat versatility, and hopefully lets it remain useful at high levels
* the movement rate is tricky. Sharks and squid move at a 60, but crocodiles and octupi move much more slowly. The higher movement rate seems to be a feature of the Predator forms, so I opted for the higher movement rate and faster forms as an example
* I thought about adding in more combat abilities, much as the other forms gain a free "feat", but I thought that would be overpowering. This seems pretty useful as it is for a single feat.

PC, have I now shifted this thread into the House Rules? :)

Thanks
Shaele

Last edited:

Shaele

First Post
Mr Jack said:
So, Polar Bears all round?
Do you steal heal?
Eek, I'm hurt! Cat, bat, cow, moose, beaver, back. I'm better now!

You're restricted to medium and large mammals, avian, tree, and elemental forms. Nothing tiny like a cat or bat (depending on how you define some of the categories, they're vague).

You no longer heal when shifting. You can shift as often as you want, as a swift action, so it would have been pretty overpowering to leave that in :)

Shaele

iceifur

Explorer
Ah, the Shapeshift variant druid. Despite the outcries to the contrary, I don't believe it's usable as-is. As a replacement for Wild Shape, it's weak. As a replacement for BOTH Wild Shape and the animal companion, it's downright criminal. Thus, after a bit of tinkering and such, I present to you the following modifications. Unless noted otherwise, all features are the same as that of the base Shapeshift variant. Feel free to take what you want and leave what you don't. Oh, and I apologize in advance for the length.

Predator Form

NEW - 1) Predator Form is now gained at 3rd level.​
NEW - 2) At 6th level, you gain your choice of either...​
A) the Trip (Ex) special ability while shifted (if the target is hit by your bite attack, you can make a trip attempt as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity, and the opponent cannot react to trip you if the trip fails)​
or...​
B) an increase of your base land speed while shifted to 60 feet.​
Once made, the choice is permanent.​

Aerial Form

NEW - 1) Aerial Form becomes "Travel Form."​
NEW - 2) At 5th level, you gain the ability to shift into the form of a flying, climbing, swimming, or burrowing creature (choose one). You traditionally take the form of an eagle or bat (flying), weasel or lizard (climbing), snake or caiman (swimming), or wolverine or badger (burrowing). You gain a primary natural attack, depending on the type of Travel form assumed: a bite that deals 1d6 damage (in climbing or swimming form), or a claw that deals 1d4 damage (in flying or burrowing form). Your size decreases by one category, and your reach becomes that of a long creature of your new size (0 feet if Tiny or Small, 5 feet if Medium). You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and a +2 enhancement bonus on Reflex saves, and your natural armor increases by +2. Your base land speed becomes 20 feet, and you also gain a new movement mode depending on the form assumed:​
Flying: Fly 40 ft. (good maneuverability)
Climbing: Climb 30 ft.
Swimming: Swim 20 ft.
Burrowing: Burrow 10 ft.​
Once made, your choice of Travel Form is permanent (but see the new feat below).​
NEW - 3) At 7th level, you gain the equivalent of the Flyby Attack feat while shifted, though its benefit applies to the special movement gained by shifting.​
NEW - 4) At 9th level, you gain a new special ability while shifted, depending on the Travel Form assumed:​
Flying - Keen Eyesight (Ex): gain a +8 competence bonus on Spot checks.
Climbing - Perfect Balance (Ex): gain a +8 competence bonus on Balance checks.
Swimming - Hold Breath (Ex): you can hold your breath for (8 x Constitution score) rounds before you risk drowning.
Burrowing - Keen Hearing (Ex): gain a +8 competence bonus on Listen checks.​
NEW - 5) At 11th level, you may assume a Travel Form of 2 size categories smaller than that of your normal form, gaining the following abilities (same as above unless noted): your primary natural attack's damage becomes 1d4 (bite) or 1d3 (claw), and your reach becomes that of a long creature of your new size (0 feet if Diminutive, Tiny, or Small); you lose your +2 enhancement bonus to Strength, but your enhancement bonus to Reflex saves increases to +4.​
This ability enhances, but does not replace, your Travel Form (you may use either at your discretion).​

NEW FEAT​

VERSATILE TRAVEL FORM [General]
You are no longer restricted to a single form of travel.​
Prerequisite: Travel Form.
Benefit: Choose one of the remaining Travel Form types that your don't know. You may now shift into that form in addition to that of your original choice.
Normal: You can only shift into a single type of Travel Form.
Special: This feat may be taken up to three times, each time granting an additional Travel Form type known.​

Ferocious Slayer Form

NEW - 1) At 13th level, you gain your choice of either...​
A) the Pounce (Ex) special ability while shifted (if you charge a foe, you can make a full attack at the end of the charge).​
or...​
B) the Improved Grab (Ex) special ability while shifted (if you hit with a claw or bite attack, you can attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity).​

Forest Avenger Form

NEW - 1) At 17th level, you gain your choice of either...​
A) the Double Damage Against Objects (Ex) special ability while shifted (you deal double damage to objects and structures when making a full attack).​
or...​
B) an increase of your Damage Reduction while shifting to DR 10/slashing.​

Elemental Fury Form

NEW - 1) Instead of immunity to only the extra damage from critical hits, you gain immunity to both critical hits and sneak attacks.​
NEW - 2) At 20th level, you gain additional elemental damage to your slam attacks while shifted, depending on the elemental form currently assumed. The amount of extra damage is the same as that of your base slam damage (i.e. 2d6 for a Medium druid shifted into Elemental Fury Form), and is comprised of the same energy as your current elemental form's immunity (electricy, acid, fire, or cold).​

Last edited:

The funny thing is I wrote out a system that is a bit similar to the Shapeshifting Druid variant, but was a lot more flexible (and harder to balance). A Druid in that variant had a certain number of "wild shape points" (so to say) that he could use to gain ability score bonus, special attacks, movement modes (including speed increases) and so on.

While the Shapeshift variant is a lot less flexible than that, but it is a quick and (not) dirty method of achieving what one would thematically expect from Wildshape.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am a big fan of the shapeshifter variant. It captures the feel of what a druid should be much better imho. Plus, I like the unlimited uses per day. But Shaele brings up some good points. The lack of certain forms is its biggest weakness. However, I think it can be easily addressed with a few simple feats (as some have mentioned).

Aquatic Form
3rd level druid with shapeshifter variant, Swim 4 ranks
This most often resembles a dolphin or a large fish. You gain an aquatic form with a swim speed equal to your base land speed. You also gain a +4 enhancement to Str and your natural armor bonus improves by 4. You can breathe water in your aquatic form. At 7th level, your swim speed improves to 1 1/2 times your base land speed.

Burrower Form
6th level druid with shapeshifter variant, Knowledge (nature) 4 ranks
This most often resembles a badger or a gopher of some kind. Your size is reduced by one size category. You gain a burrow speed equal to half your base land speed. You also gain a +4 enhancement to Dex and +4 bonus to Fortitude saves. Your natural armor bonus also improves by 4. At 10th level your burrow speed equals your full base land speed.

Climber Form
9th level druid with shapeshifter variant, Climb 4 ranks
This most often resembles a monkey or ape. You gain a climb speed equal to one half your base land speed. You also gain a +8 enhancement to Str, a +4 enhancement to Fortitude saves and your natural armor bonus improves by 8. At 13th level your climb speed improves to your full base land speed.

Inconspicuous Form
12th level druid with shapeshifter variant, Knowledge (nature) 8 ranks, Survival 4 ranks
This most often resembles a rat or other small rodent. Your size is reduced by two size categories. You gain a +12 enhancement bonus to Dex, a +6 enhancement bonus to Fortitude saves, and your natural armor bonus improves by 4. Your base land speed becomes 20. At 16th level, you gain a climb speed and a burrow speed of 20.

These might requires tweaks to fit your personal taste but they aren't too bad imho.

Drowbane

First Post
"Broken!!!" is the battlecry of an inexperienced DM."

Shaele said:
Then I noticed what was missing
* the ability to take an aquatic form to swim or breath underwater. You have land-based forms and aerial forms only.
* the ability to burrow, climb, or do anything aside from fight.
* any regular movement-based abilities at all. You can't assume the form of a monkey, for example, to get a climb bonus - you use your own skills, regardless of form.
* the ability to assume any small or tiny creature. No more songbirds, cats etc.
* the ability to assume any huge form. No more massive creatures in combat.
* no more natural spellcasting feat - they're specifically excluded from taking it.

I haven't seen Shapeshift in use yet, but it seems flawed for all the reasons you state above. Perhaps they'll get it right in 4e.

Wild Shape is only "broken!" if it is misused. Natural Spell is the real culprit. Ok, well perhaps Wildshape is too good, but why did they feel the need to get rid of Animal Companion as well in a fix for wildshape?

I'm not sure I even believe in "broken!!!" All too often I've seen otherwise great DM's have a fit over simple mechanics issues.

airwalkrr said:
...I think it can be easily addressed with a few simple feats.

Aquatic Form
3rd level druid with shapeshifter variant, Swim 4 ranks
This most often resembles a dolphin or a large fish. You gain an aquatic form with a swim speed equal to your base land speed. You also gain a +4 enhancement to Str and your natural armor bonus improves by 4. You can breathe water in your aquatic form. At 7th level, your swim speed improves to 1 1/2 times your base land speed.

Burrower Form
6th level druid with shapeshifter variant, Knowledge (nature) 4 ranks
This most often resembles a badger or a gopher of some kind. Your size is reduced by one size category. You gain a burrow speed equal to half your base land speed. You also gain a +4 enhancement to Dex and +4 bonus to Fortitude saves. Your natural armor bonus also improves by 4. At 10th level your burrow speed equals your full base land speed.

Climber Form
9th level druid with shapeshifter variant, Climb 4 ranks
This most often resembles a monkey or ape. You gain a climb speed equal to one half your base land speed. You also gain a +8 enhancement to Str, a +4 enhancement to Fortitude saves and your natural armor bonus improves by 8. At 13th level your climb speed improves to your full base land speed.

Inconspicuous Form
12th level druid with shapeshifter variant, Knowledge (nature) 8 ranks, Survival 4 ranks
This most often resembles a rat or other small rodent. Your size is reduced by two size categories. You gain a +12 enhancement bonus to Dex, a +6 enhancement bonus to Fortitude saves, and your natural armor bonus improves by 4. Your base land speed becomes 20. At 16th level, you gain a climb speed and a burrow speed of 20.

Feats are rare enough as is. I'd rather see these new forms baked into the Shifter-Druid's level progression for free. Its the least they could do for taking away our pets. :p

Last edited:

I think I'm just going to put an option for any form to either be avian or aquatic and see if that deals with it. It is simpler and not that problematic. I might add a feat to allow larger/smaller wildshaping.

One of the PCs is about to add a druid cohort so I'm going to suggest these options to him. That way if it gets retconned it isn't his primary character.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Drowbane said:
Feats are rare enough as is. I'd rather see these new forms baked into the Shifter-Druid's level progression for free. Its the least they could do for taking away our pets. :p

I don't see that it would be game-breaking to allow a shifter variant to have an animal companion. If the DM really thinks it needs to be limited, maybe the shifter druid's AC advances like a ranger's, but I wouldn't have any problem with tossing that part of the shifter variant requirements out. The shifter-druid eschews the utility of wild shape (whose uses/day isn't really a restriction at high levels) for a few forms that are mostly just good at fighting. Although ACs can be a good help in combat, IME they are usually little more than a speed bump, which isn't much different from just summoning animals every combat.

Another possible idea is to give the shifter druid a spell, maybe it costs a minimal amount of XP or GP, maybe not, called Summon Animal Companion, like they had in previous editions. The animal companion would only stick around for 1 hour/level, you could only have one at a time, and the type would vary according to spell level. E.g. there would be SAC I, SAC II, and so on. Use the summon nature's ally table as a guideline. Or yet another possibility is to make the animal companion like a paladin's mount. A shifter-druid can only summon it for a prescribed period of time per day, and once the AC is sent away, it can't be recalled until a new day arises.

Urbanmech

Explorer
I'm playing the Shapeshift druid in ForceUser's game. I've played about 6-8 sessions with the character and so far I'm happy with Shapeshift. I think the lack of an aquatic form and a climbling form was intentional. Druids are given all kinds of movement spells; spider climb, water breathing, freedom of movement etc. Shapeshift actually gives you a reason to use these spells. If you want to scout use the camoflague line of spells from Spell Compendium or let the rogue do it. Try Shapeshift in play for a bit and see how if works for you. It really makes you look at the druid spell list in a different way, I'm having tons of fun so far squeezing new uses out of old spells.

Remove ads