• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Phantasmic Killer

MensurB

First Post
I have a question about the Phantasmic Killer spell. If someone casts that spell at me and I have the spellcraft skill, could I use that to determine that it's just an illusion and just skip the will and fortitude save? I am saying this becase if you make the spellcraft skill check (DC 19) than you know that it's that spell.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
no. Phantasmal Killer specifies that "if the subject of [the spell] succeeds in disbelieving and he is wearing a helm of telepathy, the beast can be turned upon you. " and you know it's not real! no matter what, you have to make the save.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
You can try to ignore the illusionary monster, but it's not automatic. That's what the Will save is for.

If you see a spellcaster waving his arms, and then your worst fear in the world suddenly pops up, you don't need Spellcraft to tell that you're the subject of a spell. Even if you know for certain that the giant pink Easter bunny is illusionary, it's still something that scares you, so it's hard to just pretend it doesn't exist.

Saint Brendan

First Post
If you were playing a character that had a readied action against an opposing spellcaster (in order to use Dispel Magic, for example), and made the DC19 Spellcraft check to know that the spell was Phatasmal Killer, would the character have to interact with the illusion to disbelieve it?

I can't find the definition of "interacted with", but it would seem that knowing the spell is an illusion should 1) allow the player to disbeleive its effects without the will save or 2) give the player a bonus to his will save before the spell creates its effects

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Saint Brendan said:
If you were playing a character that had a readied action against an opposing spellcaster (in order to use Dispel Magic, for example), and made the DC19 Spellcraft check to know that the spell was Phatasmal Killer, would the character have to interact with the illusion to disbelieve it?
Trying to disbelieve a Phantasmal Killer is redundant. In 3e, if you interact with an illusion, you get a Will save to realize it's illusory. PK gives you that Will save automatically; saying "I disbelieve" does not gain you anything.

I can't find the definition of "interacted with", but it would seem that knowing the spell is an illusion should 1) allow the player to disbeleive its effects without the will save or 2) give the player a bonus to his will save before the spell creates its effects
That depends on what kind of illusion it is. For most of the subtypes, if you have "incontrovertible proof" that the illusion is not real, then you don't need to make a save. I.e., if you see an Illusory Wall being cast and make your Spellcraft check, you know it's an illusion (rather than a solid Wall of Stone). Since this spell is a Figment, you see the wall as only a translucent outline.

PK doesn't work that way. A Phantasm is an image placed directly into the mind of the target. It's a mind-affecting spell, and you can't just ignore it, any more than you could just ignore a Charm Person being cast at you.

Remove ads