Phantom Fungus

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Psion said:
Not that I couldn't see culling it a bit. While I could see using an ethereal marauder or a phantom fungus, I don't ever see using a digester or an ythrak.
To date, I've yet to use any of those four. I've never used a rust monster, either. I doubt I've got even a quarter of the MM flagged for use (and that's between two different campaigns with only a little overlap between them). This is primarily why I'm always buying monster books; I look for the creatures that inspire inclusion and generally ignore anything that doesn't. I also tend to change descriptions sometimes (my players have enountered four different creatures with owlbear stats, but they have never encountered an owlbear), but only when the mechanics offer something that fills a niche (such as particularly agressive bears).

dcollins

Explorer
Monte At Home said:
Well, I hear where you're coming from, but this is true of lots of monsters. Dire monsters were created so that there were higher power animals for druids and rangers. The stirge is interesting because its only dangerous in large numbers (and is a low-power ability score damaging monster). The rust monster is the ultimate "threat to your stuff" encounter. Etc. etc. Most good monsters have an actual game design reason to exist. These monsters are popular.

Monte, I think you may have meant "Legendary monsters were created so that there were higher power animals for druids and rangers."? Clearly dire animals are just conversions of all the old "giant animal" creatures (1E) that resemble giant creatures from B-movies, and predate druid or ranger companions. And for the record, I've never used Legendary Animals either, because scaling a monster down in size while its power goes up just seems anti-cinematic.

I'll also say this: things with three legs or arms seem to be just too oddball to suspend disbelief over, or key into any natural sense of fear or dread.

S'mon

Legend
I agree with comments that yrthak, digesters, phantom fungi et al just don't 'make the grade'. Looking back, I guess there were some oddball 1e monsters I never used either, like the 5-legged Squealers, Myconids (though they seem kinda fun), I never used a Rust Monster, either. I tend to use humanoids, giants, undead, dragons, demons, daemons, devils, and the occasional mythical beast like griffin or pegasus. A few oozes now & then, but the great majority of my foes have always been NPC humans & humanoids.

the Jester

Legend
I used a phantom fungus once- just because I never had.

It was an unremarkable encounter solved easily with some glitterdust.

I do think the plant factor has something to do with it, though I love plant monsters.

I am also surprised no one has yet mentioned the shame that is the tojanida. I'm certain there are better aquatic monsters that could have been brought in from older editions, rather than these silly buggers.

fnork de sporg

First Post
I have an evil humanoid/monstrous humanoid army with units of Yrthaks, though the party hasn't actually fought them yet. But I think they're neat. Almost any wacky stupid monster can be made less so by attaching them to a pre-existing species or culture. Like all those wacky breeds of dogs bredto chase rats down small holes or fit inside an aristocrats silk sleeve.

I think that for me the sticking point with the Phantom Fungus is two-fold.

Why is it a plant? Yeah, there's a lack of lower level plant creatures, but the other plant creatures feel or at least kind of look like plants. The PF looks nothing like a fungus, does nothing a fungus, and has nothing whatso ever to do with fungus except randomly being identified as one. If the players didn't read the description in the MM they would never even guess at its floral nature.

My other problem is that its just kind of boring. It's invisible but does nothing else cool. If I ever really needed or wanted an invisible opponent I would just make some other cooler creature permanently invisible. A tribe of permanently invisible goblins, say, blessed by Shar the goddess of shadows.

And if I had/wanted fungus related baddies I would want things that at least vagurly appear to be fungal in nature. mindflayers have as much in coomon with fungus as these uys do.

though I guess I could see a lower level quest where you had to track down their habitat and harvest their gooey insides to be used as ingredients in potion of invisibility. That might work.

Wrath of the Swarm said:
Well, I've used a heavily-modified version of the Phantom Fungus.

Did any of you ever see the episode of ST: TNG with the photomemetic chameleon creatures that reproduce by infecting other organisms? Geordi nearly became one permanently?

Well, that was basically what I did with the Phantom Fungus. My version was a predator that hunted small animals for food. Occasionally, it would try to ambush larger creatures, smearing some of the slime that covered its body onto them. Sometimes the creature wouldn't even notice. When it was attacked and killed, the fungus exploded in a shower of the same viscous goo. If the slime entered a break in the skin, the victim would slowly become a living, breathing host for the fungus. Plus the stuff was invisible, so it was difficult to know whether any had gotten on you and even harder to remove.

I just didn't think the standard version was scary enough.

This is a great idea! I have to remember that, maybe I can use it...

Bauglir

First Post
With regard to various monsters occupying the same niche I think that's not necessarily a bad thing. They can each bring a distinct flavour to the niche...

I prefer to see Orcs, Gnolls, Bugbears, Goblins, Kobolds etc, rather than "Barbarian Orcs", "Sorcerous Orcs", "Tribal Orcs", "Soldier Orcs", "Stealthy Orcs",...

That said a campaign might (LOTR style) center around a war with an orcish army, with lots of classed orcs as enemies. Or gnolls, or..

The inclusion of variety even within a particular niche is a Good Thing imo. It can enrich the flavour of the game, and keep it feeling fresh.

I still can't figure out a use for Phantom Fungi and Ethereal Marauders.

But I use Tiraphegs as descendants of the ancient elder race the Juna, and the ancestors of the PC race from Dragon known as the Synads.

Yrrthaks I use as mounts for many elite air calvary units and raiders. They seem to make the perfect creature for many mounted raiders to ride on, especially considering the structual damage they can do.

Remove ads