• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Phantom Meanace DvD

ssampier

First Post
Warrior Poet said:
The most telling thing for me was the interaction between Lucas and Frank Oz (who does Yoda's voice, and did his puppeteering in the original films). Frank's watching the rushes of the new CGI Yoda. It's obviously very detailed, very good, and can move in ways that the puppet couldn't.

Frank says, "Wow, George, you don't need me."

Pause.

Lucas says, "We'll always need you, Frank."

But he doesn't sound like he's so sure, and he doesn't sound like he's happy about the fact that he's not so sure, and maybe doesn't sound like he's happy that his "baby" (CGI) has maybe taken on an aspect that could negatively affect some people he holds dear.

Warrior Poet

Maybe I'm the only one, but I prefer Episodes IV, V, and VI "puppet" Yoda better than CGI Episodes I-III, especially Episode's II-III "Yoda Man".

Welverin

First Post
ssampier said:
Maybe I'm the only one, but I prefer Episodes IV, V, and VI "puppet" Yoda better than CGI Episodes I-III, especially Episode's II-III "Yoda Man".

I vastly prefer cg Yoda, though I suspect this just may be prequel hating, seeing as how you got basic facts such as Yoda not being in Ep4 and Ep1 Yoda being a puppet as well.

Rykion

Explorer
Welverin said:
I vastly prefer cg Yoda, though I suspect this just may be prequel hating, seeing as how you got basic facts such as Yoda not being in Ep4 and Ep1 Yoda being a puppet as well.
I also prefer the puppet Yoda, at least for scenes that he can accomplish what is needed. I'm pretty sure both puppet and cg were used for Ep1 Yoda. I also don't think the fact Yoda wasn't in Ep4 is important to ssampier's point.

Puppet was used for everything in Ep I except for the scene where he tells Obi-Wan he's a Jedi Knight at the end...and even then, its very, very limited.

Still, I do think its going to boil down a lot more to "Do you like the prequels?" than "Do you like puppet Yoda better?"

Honestly...I like 'em both. Maybe I just don't understand the whole idea that one HAS to be better than the others(same with prequels vs. OT).

Rykion

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Still, I do think its going to boil down a lot more to "Do you like the prequels?" than "Do you like puppet Yoda better?"
I really don't think that's true. I believe it boils down to the technology for complete CG characters wasn't fully developed at the time of Ep1 and 2. It still can be an iffy thing to try to do a full CG character. I found the puppet characters in Farscape to have more "character" than most recent CG created characters. I also find that a CG character with a live stand in on set and an actor doing motion capture for the CG's movement works the best for a humanlike character. The Chronicles of Narnia did a great job of combining people in suits with CG to make some of its creatures. The Ep3 CG Yoda was very good, but still not as real a character as the puppet.

mojo1701

First Post
Rykion said:
I really don't think that's true. I believe it boils down to the technology for complete CG characters wasn't fully developed at the time of Ep1 and 2. It still can be an iffy thing to try to do a full CG character. I found the puppet characters in Farscape to have more "character" than most recent CG created characters. I also find that a CG character with a live stand in on set and an actor doing motion capture for the CG's movement works the best for a humanlike character. The Chronicles of Narnia did a great job of combining people in suits with CG to make some of its creatures. The Ep3 CG Yoda was very good, but still not as real a character as the puppet.

So perhaps they should've gotten Kenny Baker to pull double-shifts to manage both R2-D2 AND to stand in for Yoda?

Rykion

Explorer
mojo1701 said:
So perhaps they should've gotten Kenny Baker to pull double-shifts to manage both R2-D2 AND to stand in for Yoda?
Maybe.:D

They should have been able to do a good job CG animating C-3PO in the Ep2 factory scenes, but he moves in ways he never has when played by Anthony Daniels. I can't believe how poorly ILM handled that scene.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads