D&D 5E Phantom Steed duration beyond damage.

Pauln6

Hero
See, if I were rewriting phantasmal steed from the ground up, I'd have made it so that once the steed starts to fade away – the rider desperately WANTS to dismount.

The rider of a fading phantasmal steed would have to make Charisma saves against their spell save DC at the end of each of their turns they remain mounted or be whisked away along with the steed, either being transported to the Ethereal or becoming a ghost or an illusory phantasm themself!

Shame that the few interesting "drawbacks" to certain spells were dropped in modern D&D. It gives the magic so much more flavor if those kinds of "drawbacks" are integrated into the spell description. IMHO.
Yeah I think the usefulness of the spell is severely curtailed in this edition and I'm not sure what problem they were trying to fix. Why not have scaling like in earlier editions? Paladins can obtain a more durable permanent flying mount. I'm not sure that allowing a phantom steed ignore difficult terrain for an hour with a 4th level slot would have been overpowered.

Remove ads