• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB Development almost over

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
WotC_Mearls said:
I have no time to blog, since we have to turn over the developed Player's Handbook on Friday, October 5. On Sunday, October 7, I get married to the greatest woman in the world. As some of you might imagine, this is a hectic time in my life.

When we make the turnover, I'll post here. Until then, I'm going to be quiet for a while.

There'll be playtest changes to enter and all that in the next phase, but the bulk of the work on the 4e Player's Handbook will be done.

So I take it this means that the PHB stuff like which races and classes are in, what the spells look like, etc. is set in stone as of October 5.

Also, congrats to Mike! :D

Edit: link

Davelozzi

Explorer
Dr. Awkward said:
So I take it this means that the PHB stuff like which races and classes are in, what the spells look like, etc. is set in stone as of October 5.

Also, congrats to Mike! :D

Edit: link

I doubt that the PHB will be set in stone. After all, they are just starting the out-of-house playtesting, right?

I'll second the congrats to Mike though.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Davelozzi said:
I doubt that the PHB will be set in stone. After all, they are just starting the out-of-house playtesting, right?
I suspect that the two are related in the opposite fashion. Once the PHB's content is finalized, they can send out that content to the out-of-house playtesters to check for errors, discrepancies, and broken rules. But the corrections made as a result of playtest data are not likely to dislodge substantive elements of the content of the book. Just the niggly details.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
But the corrections made as a result of playtest data are not likely to dislodge substantive elements of the content of the book. Just the niggly details.

We'll fix anything that needs to be fixed.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
But the corrections made as a result of playtest data are not likely to dislodge substantive elements of the content of the book. Just the niggly details.
Unless a "substantive element" is seriously broken ...

WotC_Logan said:
Good to hear. I hope you can follow through on that, and that you don't discover an "Oh crap!" two hours before going to the printers. :)

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
WotC_Logan said:
Well, in saying the above, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. I hope that any seriously broken or disastrously non-functional mechanics wouldn't have passed internal playtesting. I am assuming, and I may be wrong, that external playtesting is aimed at smoothing out rough spots in play and finding unexpected synergies, not at determining that the wizard's spellcasting abilities are completely broken and need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

edit: Also, I'm not sure how the inclusion of, for example, a given set of races and classes would need to be "fixed".

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Davelozzi said:

Well there is probably a few hundreds monsters that need massive playtesting as well :)

Remove ads