• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB II thoughts

SolosAddie

Explorer
I tend to reference the PHB II specially the back section character creation for tips on feats, spell suggestions etc.

As many people are more experienced with the game then me, are these typically decent choices, or is there better ways to optimize for more 'power'. i'm most specifically looking at the cleric, healer focused spec.

squee

First Post
IRC the short answer is that while they are decent choices there are many ways to make a more powerful character. I'm currently away from books so someone else will have to help you out with a more specific answer.

moritheil

First Post
SolosAddie said:
I tend to reference the PHB II specially the back section character creation for tips on feats, spell suggestions etc.

As many people are more experienced with the game then me, are these typically decent choices, or is there better ways to optimize for more 'power'. i'm most specifically looking at the cleric, healer focused spec.

Most of them are bad. Warmage is good, as is beguiler if you can convince your DM to do it. Druid is less powerful but many DMs mandate it since it is easier to run.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
moritheil said:
Most of them are bad. Warmage is good, as is beguiler if you can convince your DM to do it. Druid is less powerful but many DMs mandate it since it is easier to run.
Are you referring to the new classes and class features? I think the OP is asking specifically about the feats and spells in the last section.

squee is right. The suggestions are fine, but many other choices are as good or better. As I recall, the spell selections are more focussed on melee damage than I would choose.

Also, don't forget that there are several prereq problems with the feats... see the errata.

Last edited:

Storme

First Post
If you're a good player, there's no such thing as better or best in regards to someone elses opinion.

Sure a X class character may be more technically powerful than X class, but that's irrelevent in a roleplaying game. You're beguiler may be all bad and stuff, and your Ur Priest all uber, but now its time to unlock the door!

Play the class you think might be the most fun. Nothing can take that away and anyone elses opinion can't affect or impact that. Play what you think will be fun. Regardless of the complainers, the game is as balanced as can be expected after 30 years, and all of them have combinations that make them awesome. But you know what? Your play style or situations your character encounters may and will preclude taking the "best" feats, and the "best" prestige classes.

What is "best," might not be the most FUN for YOU. Yours is the only opinion that matters in this situation.

Storme

eamon

Explorer
It's a decent starting point. There are better choices possible, but many of those depend on the campaign and the splat books you have available. There are so many characters possible that you can hardly expect anything else. Still, it's not a bad resource; though I find myself using it more as a DM to quickly make NPC's than as a PC to quickly make PC's.

I indeed mandate the new druid revision (but then house rule all wild-shape based effects to work equivalently for shapeshift to avoid needlessly shafting the player, specifically wilding clasps). It's much simpler, (and less broken) and I still get questions about mechanics (like, the number of attacks, and the str-bonus multiplier to damage etc.)

The beguiler's great, but it's weaker than it might seem due to it's very limited spell selection (especially at higher levels - you don't even get shadow conjuration and shadow evocation without use of your "advanced learning" ability!). Still, it's a very good class for groups that don't include rogues.

Edit: by the way, as a DM, I can say that beguilers make great bad guys ;-).

squee

First Post
If you want to know what is possible check out the character optimization area on the wizards boards in particular the handbooks for each class are quite useful when making a character. But if you're going to post a thread asking for help make sure you've read the posting guidelines.

eamon said:
I indeed mandate the new druid revision (but then house rule all wild-shape based effects to work equivalently for shapeshift to avoid needlessly shafting the player, specifically wilding clasps). It's much simpler, (and less broken) and I still get questions about mechanics (like, the number of attacks, and the str-bonus multiplier to damage etc.)

The problem i have with shape-shifting, is the loss of animal companions, I know part of the point of the change was to make the class simpler but animal companions are fun! And the class is already weakened by the loss of proper wild-shape...

Corsair

First Post
Assuming you're referring to the charts in the back? One of their limitations will be that they are limited to the feats in the PHB and PHB II. I haven't looked at them closely before, but here are some quick thoughts:

Cleric: Healer

Combat Casting is junk. If you desperately need to raise your concentration score, get skill focus instead. It is only +3 compared to +4, but it can be used at other times (such as when taking damage while casting, casting on a mount, in a storm, etc)

The divine feats they suggest are... not spectacular. Not spectacular at all. Extra turning just means you get to use the less than spectacular feats more often. The second Extra Turning at 18th level has to just be a joke. I will say however that Divine Ward isn't terrible, but I would only probably use it if I was making a cleric cohort for a warrior character.

Brew Potion? Seriously? At that level? If magic isn't readily available, at least craft wands. Far more efficient for healing (GP to HP wise) and your friendly bard/paladin/ranger/UMD rogue can all use them.

eamon

Explorer
squee said:
The problem i have with shape-shifting, is the loss of animal companions, I know part of the point of the change was to make the class simpler but animal companions are fun! And the class is already weakened by the loss of proper wild-shape...
If I were to reinstate the animal companion, I was considering making shapeshift a standard action, and have it kick in at level 5 (but from there with normal progression). That sounds balanced, and allows the animal companion as usual.

werk

First Post
I don't use them much myself, but they aren't necessarily bad advice. I find that book is about 1/3 good stuff and 2/3 fill.

My favorite is the advice for the would-be necromancer. How did that even make it in the book?

Remove ads