• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PHB Spells: Crown of Madness?

Lackhand

First Post
As everyone has learned by now (it's in 5Basic!), charm person received a few nerfs in 5e in order to limit its combat usefulness.
However, the 5e PHB includes a new-to-me spell, crown of madness.
As far as I can tell, this is the in-combat substitute:
  • It's slightly, but not exaggeratedly, higher level.
  • Empirically, if you have spell list access to charm person, you have access to 'crown.
  • It makes the subject fight their allies in such a way as to limit its usefulness out of combat, which is cute.
Where did this spell come from? Is it a holdover from 4e? What's its history there?
While charmed, the subject wears the eponymous iron crown. What if their hat slot is full?

Okay, that last one might be going too far, given the fungible chakras in 5e :)
Still, this spell is weird. What's its deal?

Quartz

Hero
As everyone has learned by now (it's in 5Basic!), charm person received a few nerfs in 5e in order to limit its combat usefulness.
However, the 5e PHB includes a new-to-me spell, crown of madness.

Sounds like a focused version of Confusion.

Hmm... wasn't there a similar spell in the Madness domain in 3E?

Stalker0

Legend
The name has certainly been used before. It sounds like a milder more specific form of dominate. Not sure if the specific mechanics have a precedent.

Gothmog

First Post
Crown of Madness is a spell carried over from 4E, as are several other spells (especially spells warlocks get like Hunger of Hadar). Crown of Madness works almost identically to the way it did in 4E.

Lackhand

First Post
Crown of Madness is a spell carried over from 4E, as are several other spells (especially spells warlocks get like Hunger of Hadar). Crown of Madness works almost identically to the way it did in 4E.

Was it a wizard spell in 4e? It kind of smells like warlock to me, but I could see it having gone either way.

Remove ads