• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB2 comes in at number 28 on USA Today top 150 list

Status
Not open for further replies.

primarchone

Explorer
Hi!

I believe that by releasing books in this format (PHB/DMG/MM/etc.) in numbered volumes (1,2,3,etc), is a very wise move by WOTC, becuase it guarantees spikes in sales for them every time such a book is released, instead of the very high initial sales when a new edition is released and the gradual decline in sales over the years as seen with the previous sales model.

If such trends continue 4e may be an edition of longer than average longevity due to the sales spikes of these books over the years (usually the tail end of the sales cycle decline in previous models is what perhaps initiates work on the next edition).

Of course, one would wonder what the PHB4/DMG4/MM4 and volumes beyond this would contain to assure such sales spikes. But I guess there is enough imagination out there to make it possible. ;)

Primarchone

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Verdict? This whole "one PHB Per Year" thing is boffo.

Here's hoping the MM2 and the DMG2 will rock the socks, too.

I'm not entirely sure the "PHB 8" or whatever will be quite as huge, but by then we're probably talking 5e anyway. Ah, edition treadmill....

Gothmog

First Post
Great job Scott, Mike, and everyone at WotC! Its great to see you getting recognition and success for 4e D&D. I know there are loud naysayers out there, but a lot of folks really like what you did with 4e (we just get drowned out by the naysayers sometimes), and I for one will continue to support it. PHB2 is rock solid, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in action (this weekend marks the start of a new campaign with PHB2 stuff for us). It seems like you guys really found your stride with PHB2, and 4e is positively my gaming groups favorite version of D&D yet. I have every confidence in your vision for D&D, and my group and I would like to thank you for an incredible game. Here is to many more years of 4e D&D! :D

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Doing a search on USATODAY.com for Dungeons and Dragons, I got the following results:

4E Core Rulebook Giftset: weeks on chart-2, peak position 57

4E Dungeon Master's Guide: weeks on chart-1, peak position 128

4E Monster Manual: weeks on chart-1, peak position 143

4E Players Handbook: weeks on chart-4, peak position 48

PHB2 in its debut week was #28, beating out the original PHB.

Well, somewhat misleading, because the gift set and the stand alone rulebooks kind of canibalized each other.

After checking out the other two categories, I can see why they would put it on the non-fiction list... but I'm still pretty sure that I'd give someone a strange look if they described the PH as such.

It's a book of rules for playing a game. It's in the same bin as Hoyle's, Texas Hold 'Em guides, and Chess strategy treatises.

Hussar

Legend
Well, really, it is non-fiction. It's game rules. There's no make-believe going on between the covers. It's telling you pretty much exactly how to play the game.

As was said, it's no different than a book on baseball rules or poker.

Jack99

Adventurer
Let's hope not.

It's been a little too much fun here lately, IYKWIMAITYD.

You are right. I will hope for no fun and just be fan-freaking-ecstatically happy that my game of choice seems to be doing better than great.

Cheers.

Congratulations to WotC.

I'm glad to hear that PH2 is doing so well! D&D is the flagship of the entire roleplaying hobby, so when it does well, the hobby does well. There's no bad news here.
I'm not entirely sure the "PHB 8" or whatever will be quite as huge, but by then we're probably talking 5e anyway. Ah, edition treadmill....
You might be right. Personally, I hope that after PH4 or PH5, they start publishing a 4E Revision. After all, the original PH1 will be five years old at that point, so it might be time for a redesign/reissuing of it. Additionally, by this time all of the power sources should be covered, so sweeping rebalancing and errata could be instituted with the benefit of hindsight, after having seen the breadth of capabilities of all the options published.

When I say revision, I'm NOT suggesting a 4.5E; rather I'm suggesting something more subtle. Every edition of D&D has had a revision thus far, and 4E would definitely benefit from one; a revision could extend the lifespan of an already great game, and all the while WotC can continue to publish campaign settings in the "annual/three-book" format.

I love 4E, and I would really like to see this game last for a decade or more! (I think that the longer we wait and learn from 4E, the better 5E will be anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads