• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB2 comes in at number 28 on USA Today top 150 list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obryn

Hero
Well, you could give us the 3e sales as well (since they happened during WotC regime), that would stop most of the debate ;)
What, and be called a liar by people with an ax to grind?

I agree with mearls - I don't know that there's a point to it.

-O

catsclaw227

First Post
Mike -- Personally, I could care less about the exact numbers. I am just glad that the books are doing well. Kudos and keep cranking out goodness.

Also, I am glad that my favorite hobby is doing well, and that roleplayers everywhere are tossing dice (or not, in some cases), adventuring, and laughing with friends.

It doesn't matter what game you play. Game on!

Good for D&D asa whole, good book, but:

a) Lack of druid heals (or rather way it is in the PHB2, bugs me, either remove them, or add a few more in!)

b) Cannot run normal barbarians with all the thunder etc powers, jeesh! Conan this is not, says Yoda ;)

c) Page count versus cost is way off, I want atleast 50 or better, 100 more pages for that cost!

Dionysos

Explorer
b) Cannot run normal barbarians with all the thunder etc powers, jeesh! Conan this is not, says Yoda ;)

I am going to have to start shouting this from the rooftops.

People, for the love of Crom, if you want to play a Conan-style non-magical furious barbarian, play a Battlerage Vigor Fighter. It perfectly models that sort of character.

That the D&D Barbarian is overtly magical is not a bad thing, since the game already has an option for a martial berserker/savage fighter.

Conan is in the game. He is a Fighter. Deal with it.

Don't give me the whole "Conan didn't wear armor" nonsense. This argument proves nothing except that you have not read the stories. Depending on his circumstances, Conan employed no armor as well as every type of armor from a hide jerkin to full plate.

This "you can't play Conan in D&D" meme must end. Immediately.

Dannager

First Post
Sure you can. I'm playing an non-multiclassed, epic-tier barbarian with no elemental powers at all. In fact, the only level where you can't avoid an elemental power is 5th-level daily powers. Just take a second 1st-level rage power. Rage Drake and Blood Hunt are both awesome rage powers. Bam, normal barbarian. Enjoy.

Andre

First Post
Right, but it's still just kinda strange.

Agreed. To me, listing an RPG in book sales just because it's not published in a box is silly. If Monopoly were published as a hardback book instead of game box, I still wouldn't rank it in book sales, I'd rank it in game sales.

Whenever someone tries to pigeonhole stuff into a limited set of pre-defined categories, you always get weird results.

Nathal

Explorer
And #4 on the Wall Street Journal Non-Fiction list

WSJ.com

Congratulations! The hobby needs a success of that magnitude! It's VERY exciting to see. :D

I just played my first 4th Edition session last night, and I enjoyed the game very much. I was handed an 11th level character for a Delve, and was impressed how quickly I got into the character and understood what to do (the power cards were cool). Everybody had something cool to do (including the baddies), and I had no trouble visualizing the action. The marks and sliding actions were more fun than I thought they'd be (oh, and interrupts are cool).

I was playing a pre-gen Shifter Warden (defender type), and it was just plain fun. Seven players, and nobody got bored.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Do we have a figure on the actual number of copies sold, not just a ranking?

That woud be the real telling info. At least movie rankings also give sales figures so that different weeks can be compared. It all depends on what the compitition is at any given time. Sometimes the number 1 movie makes $100 million somtimes the number 1 movie only needs $20 Million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads