Photos of your favorite poster maps / battle maps?

buddhafrog

First Post
Wait, what?! :confused:

Yep. :eek: I'm a professional DM. HA! :D I love saying that. :lol:

While I'm a professional DM, this doesn't mean I'm a great DM as I'm still learning a lot and have only been doing it for a year.

Ah, well, I like to say I'm a professional DM, but it might be more accurate to describe me as an ESL teacher living in Korea. I teach late elementary through HS students, 2~4 students each class, 2 or 3 one-hour classes per week. For six of these classs, we play D&D one class per week. For one class (which my son joins), we play twice a week.

Damn, that's 8 DM sessions every week. They are shorter - 1 hour usually with a few multi-hour games mixed in - but it is still a lot to keep track of. Especially, it's difficult to remain creative and energetic. But after a year of doing this, it is still loads of fun.

About 1/2 of my teaching hours have now become D&D. 20+ students over seven classes. They absolutely love this completely new type of game. I live in the world's capital of online gaming where there is no hint of RPG's, yet 80% of the kids say D&D is their favorite game and it's what they look forward to all week. It's awesome and I feel fortunate.

P.S. which is why I need lots of maps!

weem

First Post
...I DM a 1/2 dozen games a week in Korea and really need more materials/modules/maps...

This is essentially a plug, but I think you might really dig it. Myself and a friend/co-worker have been building a tool that allows you to make battlemaps online for free that can be printed (click the green BattleMAP'R button in my sig).

You can export your map as a PDF for printing, or as a JPG so you can import it into another program or post it on a site, etc. We've been allowing access to it since first building it a few weeks ago. It's in Alpha but you can make maps right now (though there's not a ton of tiles yet). We've just added "accounts" to the system and in the near future you will be able to submit your own tiles and share them, or keep them private for your own use. You will be able to do the same with maps - and both can be (if made public) rated, etc.

Anyway, check it out if you get a chance to see where we are heading. It's a very quick way to make a map from any computer and get it immediately in a format you need, all for free ;)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
If you're looking for fantastic maps, cartographersguild.org is a great resource.

He means cartographersguild.com not '.org'

In keeping with that, except for maps that will be included in publications that I work on, I can't really post photos of the maps I use, as its a much easier thing just to look at the maps I create, as I am a large format digital printer, and I print out all my maps for game use. So looking at the maps in my Gamerprinter's Map Emporeum thread in the Art Forum on this board will suffice in showing you what maps I use (and create for myself, or for other publishers...)

My largest map for my own game use measured 42" x 96" at 1" = 5' scale for a castle map I used several years ago - don't have it anymore, but I could always print it again.

GP

Jools

First Post
Thanks for the post buddhafrog. You mention you can get them real cheap - I'd love to know where! I've had a good search to no avail. I've found some from private sellers on Amazon US but charging extortionate P&P unfortunately.

Ydars

Explorer
Here is a link to an album of my best loved battlemaps

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2845582/1/Battlemaps?h=24c9f4

Most are by the excellent Cisticola (a renowed map maker) except the road map (I forget where this came from). Note that I am posting these versions because I added the grid to them. I also made audience chamber, Leydon Hillfort, Fernbrook caverns and the Horned Hold, myself.

If you are interested in seeing more of Cisticola's fantastic work see here

Zitting Cisticola - Home

regards

Ydars

buddhafrog

First Post
Thanks for the post buddhafrog. You mention you can get them real cheap - I'd love to know where! I've had a good search to no avail. I've found some from private sellers on Amazon US but charging extortionate P&P unfortunately.

Sorry my Japanese-based compatriot. I actually got them shipped to the states and had a friend bundle a lot of stuff together for me ($179 shipping for tons of stuff). I've now found bookdepository.com which will ship for FREE - I just got Castle Ravenloft, that huge f'n box, for $59! I know you can find it cheaper online, but the shipping for something that big to this part of the world is crazy-expensive. Unfortunately, bookdepository.com doesn't have the Floorplans. They do link to this page that has international shipping if you want to check it out - seems like about $20, not too cheap.

Here is a link to an album of my best loved battlemaps

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2845582/1/Battlemaps?h=24c9f4

Most are by the excellent Cisticola (a renowed map maker) except the road map (I forget where this came from). Note that I am posting these versions because I added the grid to them. I also made audience chamber, Leydon Hillfort, Fernbrook caverns and the Horned Hold, myself.

If you are interested in seeing more of Cisticola's fantastic work see here

Zitting Cisticola - Home

Some of these are awesome. I love the alley1 and the river/building view with the burned building. I quickly checked the other link as well. How do you get these large enough to print them with quality? You just tape them together? What program do you use to put the 1 inch squares? I think I'd like to use some of these - some are fantastic.

Remove ads