• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Photoshop template For World Maps help :D

Uber Dungeon

First Post
So I have been using CC3 for making my world maps and in my last nearly 2 years of experience with it, it's like basking my head into a brick wall... again and again...
Anyways, I was scrolling through the forum looking for best map making software and someone suggested Photoshop and posted a really cool template (that sadly I did not keep).
And now, I have access to photoshop CS6 and a very nice tablet, I have decided to learn it by copying my map over and changing the style to a really cool template.

So anyone got a good Photoshop template for world maps?
Or if you could direct me to a template that would be cool :b

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Visit the Cartographers Guild - a website for mostly hobbyist cartographers for games and fiction. There are hundreds of tutorials using GIMP, Photoshop, Illustrator, and many other programs. There are monthly contests, work in progress forums, etc. Look in the tutorials section.

I use Xara Designer Pro 9, a vector drawing applications, like Illustrator to create all my maps, and I do this professionally for game publishers, authors, video game companies. While I don't use Photoshop, many cartographers do - so you've picked good software to do your maps. You can visit my Map Thread here at ENWorld for samples of my work.

innerdude

Legend
So I have been using CC3 for making my world maps and in my last nearly 2 years of experience with it, it's like basking my head into a brick wall... again and again...
Anyways, I was scrolling through the forum looking for best map making software and someone suggested Photoshop and posted a really cool template (that sadly I did not keep).
And now, I have access to photoshop CS6 and a very nice tablet, I have decided to learn it by copying my map over and changing the style to a really cool template.

So anyone got a good Photoshop template for world maps?
Or if you could direct me to a template that would be cool :b

Do you have Illustrator as well, or just Photoshop?

For me, I found the best combination for map making is actually Photoshop CS4 (or 5, or 6) plus Serif DrawPlus. DrawPlus is a cheap knockoff of Illustrator, but it's absolutely PERFECT for doing both city and world / continent mapping. It's vector based, so what I usually do is create basic land formations with basic mesh fills for color, possibly with a texture layer, and then export it as a hi-res PNG and import to Photoshop for touchup and detail.

Also, looks like you and I don't live that far apart, [MENTION=87133]Ghalleon[/MENTION].

Uber Dungeon

First Post
Also, looks like you and I don't live that far apart, [MENTION=87133]Ghalleon[/MENTION].

Thats Cool, I live down in provo.

I have Photoshop CS6, I don't have illustrator. I've very recently started learning mapping on photoshop, I'm fairly adapt to Paint.net so photoshop isn't to alien of a program. So I'm basically in the process of learning to utilize features and such. As soon as I get this figured out I'm going to port over my map from CC3 and basically redraw it completely.

Remove ads