• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Physical and/or Tactile Gaming Aids, Tips, and Tricks

Li Shenron

Legend
I would think that some acrylic document stands/holders would work for a durable screen with replaceable content. I'm not sure they make one large enough to create a full screen, but two or three side by side should do the trick.

Just in case you might want to compare... :)

My current DM screen contains the following:

[2 exploration pages]
- Typical Difficulty Classes
- Jumping
- Falling
- Underwater Combat
- Suffocating
- Equipment packs
- Activity While Traveling
- Unseen Attackers and Targets / Hiding
- Vision and Light
- current PCs' AC and passive scores (Perception, Insight, Stealth, Survival)
[1 combat page]
- Cover
- Ranged Attacks in Close Combat
- Concentration
- Grappling + Shoving a Creature + Grapple Rules for Monsters
- Instant Death + Death Saving Throws + Stabilizing a Creature

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
For initiative, I prefer a big whiteboard facing the players. This way everybody can see "whose turn is next" (I still verbally remind them anyways).
Plus everybody can tell who goes next: the downed PC, the PC with a Heal potion, or the Monster that downed him.

Ganymede81

First Post
Personally, I've always wished that a DM screen had the social interaction DCs for friendly, hostile, and indifferent NPCs. Those are always useful on the fly.

happyhermit

Adventurer
:) I Don't want to lose this for when I have more time; http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?496972-Blank-Monster-cards-for-DM-(orginization-DL)

While prepping for my first world as a dm, I wanted to keep track of some of the creatures that i have planned, and make some new ones, but after looking for blank ones, none i found were very user friendly or customizable, so I set out to make it a tad easier for everyone, I made a simple card that is inspired after the monster Manuel stat block, and is designed for a 4x6 index card. Feel free to take it and use it.
I have not made a pdf of it because i don't have the ability to make it one i want it to be
but feel free to use and modify.

HERE :DView attachment 77860
(looks awful until you enable editing)

and here is a demo of what they look like: http://imgur.com/a/FOebW

features dropdown menu for stats w/ modifiers

the card can get cramped but if you have a printer capable of 4x6 card prints, you can get blank cards and double side them, but found ways to fit it all in currently.
Enjoy!

I would think that some acrylic document stands/holders would work for a durable screen with replaceable content. I'm not sure they make one large enough to create a full screen, but two or three side by side should do the trick.

They make flat, 8.5x11 ones of these that I use for character sheet protectors. They work great as you can mark them up with wet erase and they keep them just a bit off the table (spill protection) along with providing rigid paper protection.

Mercule

Adventurer
Inspiration dice.

Method;

The GM has a pool of "unique" d20s. When awarding inspiration, they give one to a player, who puts it in a noticeable spot (preferably a standard one). When the player uses the inspiration it gets returned to the GM. This also works for alternative inspiration granting, such as players giving it to other players.

Pretty straightforward imo, makes keeping track of it extremely easy and helps to remind everyone at the table of it's state.
I do this, as well. As a tweak to the standard Inspiration rules, I let the players use Inspiration to grant disadvantage on an NPC roll. It's not strictly "inspirational", but I like it because it increases player agency and, because the Inspiration die is always rolled by the player, in the open, they get the psychological assurance that important rolls are always fair (I almost never fudge dice, but the warm fuzzy is not to be underestimated).

jasper

Rotten DM
Divine intervention, cutting word, BI. I use poker chips with a special marker. That way if I don't hear the player call it they can throw on the board to get my intention.

Remove ads