• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Physical Form for an Artifact

nameless

First Post
I just wanted to share an idea since I'm a latecomer. Along the lines of the snowglobe, instead make the artifact an entire room or fortress. Within the artifact is a scale model of the entire world, which is magically able to generate the necessary detail to control the weather in a specific region. As a little bonus, it would probably work as a sort of Scrying tool as well. In order to activate the artifact, however, a specific item must be used to control the weather. Perhaps a garment, a ring, or a glove must be worn by the user. I'm imagining things like the controller's breath as icy wind, snapping fingers as lightning strikes, and a simple gaze causes freezing temperature. Something cinematic *grin*.

In this case, the heroes could simply find the ring that activates the artifact, or actually find the artifact itself and prevent the villain from controlling it. Just a little twist, at any rate.

Ruined

Explorer
Hmm, kittens... We played again last night and the character have first heard of the artifact, the Globe of Aggamar. A man they knew died to pass on this information, and someone who translated the msg for them believes it to be of great importance.

So yes, I'm going for the snowglobe idea, with it split into two pieces. One is now in the hands of an opposing wizard, and he will make a big use of it in a coming skirmish (the characters will not be there, but they'll get frightening accounts of it). Then the race will be on to find the matching piece.

I've still got a little time to create more ideas for this. So far, the information you've provided has been very helpful. Reminds me why I love these forums. Once I get it more complete, maybe I'll do a full writeup of the item here.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
theRuinedOne said:
One is now in the hands of an opposing wizard, and he will make a big use...

Will one of those hands be clad in a seemingly, innocuous mitten...?

Ruined

Explorer
Maybe just for you Mark...

DM: In his hand is one half of the globe. And you note that his hands are covered in furry mittens.
Players: Ahhh, the globe must be cold...

:D

HalfElfSorcerer

First Post
It just snowed today where I live, and I was thinking about how snow muffles things. Perhaps the artifact can invoke silence in an area containing snow that it has produced.

Snow also tends to make things seem equal. With fresh snow around, you can make very few presumptions about the people moving through it. People tend to be friendly when it's snowy. Perhaps the globe could produce calm emotions as an effect.

Just some ideas.

Lela

First Post
HalfElfSorcerer said:

Snow also tends to make things seem equal. With fresh snow around, you can make very few presumptions about the people moving through it. People tend to be friendly when it's snowy.

Yep, all the really annoyed ones don't feel it worth coming outside in the first place.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads