• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Physicist Peter Higgs Answers Your D&D Questions

This has been drifting around in various social media circles over the last few days. Peter Higgs (after whom the Higgs boson is named) is a Nobel Prize winner, theoretical physicist, and emeritus professor at the University of Edinburgh. So, naturally, he's the ideal person to ask for some clarification on various Dungeons & Dragons rules. From half-elf wizards falling through dimension doors, parabolic arcs and fireballs, dodging lightning, and more, this piece by Mark Rooke is sure to make you smile.

This has been drifting around in various social media circles over the last few days. Peter Higgs (after whom the Higgs boson is named) is a Nobel Prize winner, theoretical physicist, and emeritus professor at the University of Edinburgh. So, naturally, he's the ideal person to ask for some clarification on various Dungeons & Dragons rules. From half-elf wizards falling through dimension doors, parabolic arcs and fireballs, dodging lightning, and more, this piece by Mark Rooke is sure to make you smile.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm a little disappointed in Higgs' Dimension Door answer.

The correct answer is, of course, that you can't cast Dimension Door as you fall, as its casting time is not a reaction.

In the hypothetical circumstance the the spellcaster in question had a delayed action prepared "to cast Dimension Door in the event that I find myself falling" then the caster would have the option of casting said spell at any point during the plummet. Despite the name, the Dimension Door spell doesn't actually create a 'portal' that teleports the caster...the description fairly clearly states that the caster (and any willing subjects in contact with the caster up to the maximum allowed) teleports immediately on casting. This means that the caster could concievably use a delayed casting of Dimension Door to reduce or even negate fall damage.

GO BACK TO SCHOOL PETER HIGGS!

Remove ads

Remove ads