• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pick your favorite: Demon, Devil or Yugoloth

Pick your favorite: Demon, Devil or Yugoloth

• Demon (CE)

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Devil (LE)

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • Yugoloth (NE)

Votes: 20 19.2%

• Poll closed .

Shadowbane2

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
None of the above.

When all the devils' machinations are finished, all the yugoloths' schemes are unraveled, all the demons' fury spent, elder Things will remain, cyclopean horrors from shadowed antiquity, pre-human abominations to whom the fiends are no more and no less than humanoids or gods - transient insects to be crushed without even noticing their existence. :]

You're playin' the wrong game. ;)

Pants

First Post
lukelightning said:
Whereas with devils you run out after 83,543 different kinds, not counting devil-hybrids.
Well... you could potentially have an infinite amount of different kinds of devils out there, but, personally, seeing as they're ultra-Lawful, I'd think that each type of devil would exist to fill a certain 'niche' in the social order. Certain devils are made for certain tasks after all.

Demons, on the other hand, can have infinite varieties. They don't need to follow any rhyme or reason.

Just my thought is all.

Li Shenron

Legend
To me Demons are still slightly more evocative than Devils (and Yugoloth are as evocative as an easter european 80s car, someone said :p ), however there's many DM who think that Demons should be always "stupid evil" and this diminishes them a lot, when the same DM plays devils as "smart evil".

But really, sometimes I think the whole division is moot.

urDrakas

First Post
ForceUser said:
Devils. They're cunning and sublime. They'll lure you into evil and you won't even know you've been conned until you're holding the bloody knife.

One of the reasons I like the devils most. That and the fact that more so than the other, IMHO, they will toy with you and even let false hope grace the victim. And then its too late.

But I admit, ever since seeing Doctor Faustus in real life, that sealed the devils for me.

Imruphel

First Post
I would probably pick the baatezu as there seems to be some underlying design logic to them.

Pardon me for being anally retentive (but I do live in Singapore), but I just find the tanar'ri to be masterpieces of bad design. Nothing about the design of the individual tanar'ri screams "chaos" and "evil" to me. Actually, I find this with most of the outsiders: the implied nature of the individual outsider is rarely matched by the outsider's abilities and qualities.

And why the Baator are tanar'ri immune to electricity when most descriptions of abyssal lairs emphasis acid, fire and/or cold? Chaos doesn't have to mean illogical design.

Remove ads