• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pick Your Own Class Features

rogueboy

First Post
My initial inspiration for this attempt came from a combination of seeing something similar done for the 4e PHB classes and the feat point system: instead of picking a class, you get X points to spend on class features (BAB, saves, skill points, and Class Features). Each feature costs Y points (BAB, saves, and skills start at a 'base' value, and can be increased from there).

I tried to find the link to the 4e version of this (I believe it was on these forums), but was unable to locate it. Does anyone know if someone has done this already?

Either way, does anyone see any potential problems or pitfalls with attempting to do this?

lvl 1 fighter

First Post
So.....GURPS + D&D?

That actually sounds cool.

One of the reasons I like the generic classes from UA is because you can customize your character more.

What is special about the GRAPM?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
You might also want to check out Complete Control. It on sale right now RPGNow.com - Dreamscarred Press - Complete Control

Thanks for the promotion! Sweet! :cool:

How is complete control? I've boon looking to buy it for the last few days, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

As the author, I'll be happy to answer any questions. Obviously I think it is worth it, but I'm also just a bit biased. It is on sale for $6.00 during the GM Day promotion over at the DSP storefront on this page. The reason I suggest DSP's storefront is because RPGNow takes a portion of the proceeds and if you buy it off of DSP's storefront you get downloads for life rather than the limit of 5 at RPGNow. Of course, there's nothing wrong with RPGNow, either.

If you are looking for links regarding the product, feel free to look at my sig. In there you will find a link to an FAQ thread over at the DSP thread. For those interested, we have a free beta version of an Excel spreadsheet for those of you who hate math or fear your players might not like the math. With the spreadsheet calculator, it does all the purchasing math you need for the whole life of the character.

Like I said, check out the threads and post some questions if you'd like. I'm happy to talk shop!

Last edited:

davout1805

Explorer
How is complete control? I've boon looking to buy it for the last few days, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Yes I would say so. I think he did a good job of breaking everything down into points. Note I have not used it so I can't how balanced it is. As a GM you need to be able to make judgment calls on what is allowed, especially if you have Min/Max players.

I have always felt class systems were constrictive. I have played GURPs and other point based systems but have always returned to D&D. So I was really excited when I came across this. It would be great if you have players who want a mix of elements for role-playing purposes.

I would LOVE to use this in my campaign. Unfortunately my players are a bunch of old-fuddy duddies :) and want to stick with classes - boring. But it is their characters so I'm not going to force it. :(

Note: My players choosing to stick with classes had nothing to do with the system. They choose before I explained the it.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Just return the favor when I finally get something released.:D

You let me know what it is and how to get ahold of it and you got a deal!

One thing I wish he had done was give the points for each of the core classes. Admittedly, it would be fairly easy to do.

Can do, and will do. However, there is one very specific reason why I didn't do it in the work. That is because people will immediately see one class in particular (the wizard) and notice the points required to build it and say "OMG this system is crap - it doesn't work." But what people need to understand isthat CC is built on the premise that balance comes ultimately from options (technically actions withwhich you can use those options). So the more options a class has, the more it should cost. And the wizard is limited in options. The reason the wizard is powerful is because those high level spell options it doeshave are the most powerful in the game. But, assuming this is understood, here are the breakdowns you desire. I'll throw in the DSP and XPH classes as well as they were a part of the system's development.

[sblock=CC Breakdown of Class Cost]
NOTE: The Perfect range was 171,000 - 190,000 XP, with about 185,000 as the design goal.

Barbarian - 170,322. Slightly under the desired range of 171,000 - 190,000. But in my opinion the Barbarian could benefit from having a few more options than just rage and kill things.

Bard - 170,223. Slightly below the target. But, many people complain that the bard is underpowered. I think this score allows enough freedom to add something like an improved BAB to make the bard up to a good power level.

Cleric - 209,396. Well over thedesired range, but still within the 20th level XP range. But let's face it. With the Cleric being the C in CoDzilla, I think this one is understandable.

Devoted Psion (DSP) - 180,201. Nicely within the range if not a bit on the low side. Yes, psionics is as powerful as magic, but really all this class can do is use their powers. They could benefit from a few more skills or a non-combat class ability or something.

Druid - 208,502. Well over the desired range, but still within the 20th level XP range. But let's face it. With the Druid being the D in CoDzilla, I think this one is just as understandable as the Cleric.

Enlightened Monk (DSP) - 217,552. Yes, the Monk-style classes are the anomoly in this system. The problem is that the monk suffers from having too much to do and being poor at it. Take a fighter, use CC to add unarmed strike, the unarmored damage bonus, and a few monkish things and you'll have the monk we all want to play. Trust me, you can build a better monk with CC rules than and level-based monk-style class. (See the Pugilist class on p. 64 of CC as an example) So just toss out these results as anomolies from a stuffed class that never really did work. To be fair to the author of this class, it is far better esigned than the original class. It's just that the original monk class had so many issues that even a good rewrite couldn't solve the class' problems.

Fighter - 189,586. A solid number. But honestly, if you want to make a better fighter you can easily drop a few of this class's higher priced feats and stuff in some cool class abilities for a better bang for your buck. But price-wise, this class hit the target.

Halo Knight (DSP) - 208,110. I love this class. It's a brilliant design. But it is a powerful one. I don't know if it is quite as versatile as the cleric ... but it rocks on the battlefield like a Marshal never could. It's high price is not an insult to the class design, its a testimony to all it does!

Marksman (DSP) - 192,754. Just a bit over the range, but still solid. This is a good ranged class, probably right up there with the Ranger. I think its price is deserved.

Monk - 222,532. See Enlightened Monk entry. This is an anomoly. It isn't that the monk is that powerful, its that it does so much stuff so poorly.

Morphean - 208,861. I love this class as well. But like the Halo Knight, it is a powerful class. I doubt it it CoDzilla worthy as it price suggests, but that can be tweaked as a player builds their character. It does have a bunch of options, though.

Nexus (DSP) - 187,767. I like this class and the concept behind it. And, I think it is a balanced class against the sorceror. It's price reflects that.

Paladin - 172,051. Let's face it. The paladin is a fighter with fewer tricks. Divine Grace and lay on hands are nice, but they don't make up for all the feats a fighter gets. Te paladin has always been able to benefit from a few other tricks - especially non-combat options. This score is in the acceptable range, but rightly on the low side of it.

Psion (XPH) - 180,231. Well within the acceptable range, but like the wizard all it can do is use its powers. A few extra options that don't involve spells or powers would really make this class more fun to play, wouldn't it?

Psychic Warrior (XPH) - 157,099. It's a fighter with powers, lower BAB, and fewer feats. It is a good class, but I always felt that a few more skill points and a shining class ability or two would make this class better.

Ranger - 199,998. The ranger is a gosh-darn powerful class. It's no Cleric or Druid, but it often will out-fight the fighter. So I think it deserves this slightly higher than the target range rating.

Rogue - 153,289. This one always surprises me. But a low Hit Die, an average BAB, and 2 poor saves make this character a bit sub-par. We've all liked playing rogues with all their skill points and the sneak attack. But haven't we all felt at one point or another that the rogue could be stepped up in asave or Hit Die or something and still have been balanced?

Society Mind (DSP) - 175,709. A very nice class, butmore limited in many ways than the psion. Its power is largely dependant on the power of those around it. I think it could gain something and still be balanced.

Sorceror - 190,321. I love the sorceror and think it is a greatly balanced class - if not borderline on the higher end of power with respect to the SRD classes. It is less powerful than the Cleric or Druid. But I think this score is appropriate for what it can do.

Soul Bastion (DSP) - 177,566. I don't have much experience with this class, but it is essentially a Soulknife who does the energy thing with armor instead of a weapon. It has a few nice tricks over and above the Soulknife, and I think it's cost is well earned.

Soulknife (XPH) - 169,312. This puts the class just under the range, but I think that is deserved. So many people balance the class by giving it full BAB that there is reason to think it could use some help.

Wilder (XPH) - 201,242. The wilder isa darn powerful class. In my book it is more powerful than a sorceror - its SRD companion. Wild Surge is a fine ability, especially when combined with its full manifesting. I think it has earned its score entirely.

Wizard - 180,981. This is the one that I assume everyone is going to jump all over. Sure, it is in the range. And we all know a wizard is more powerful than a fighter. The problem is, there is nothing that could be done to the wizard that didn't make the sorceror's total way out of whack. In the end, the wizard could benefit from some non-magical abilities to give it something to do besides cast spell after spell after spell. And, for the most part in development, it is a class that is on the more expensive side until level 17 (when it no longer needs to buy spell levels). So a player playing a wizard won't feel like they have a ton of extra XP to spent until they reach the end of the game. I can live with that development.

Worldthought Medic - 187,379. If you haven't seen this class, look at it. I don't care if you don't like psionics. The steal health mechanics of this class make it brilliant and it's powerpoint manifesting could easily be reworked into magic if a DM felt it necessary. It is the cleric everyone wants to play because it heals other people through its ability to be great in combat. So while the rest of the party can think of it as a bit of a heal-bot, the player of the actual character can know that it is a successful addition to any combat and the healingis more of an afterthought. And isn't that what all of us really want in a cleric, anyway? We don't mind healing others ... we just want to take off a few orc heads in the process! Again. Buy this product and look at the class. You won't be sorry. Oh ... and now that my exuberent commercial is over ... the class's XP price is right in the top end of the desired range. Very appropriate.

Okay ... there are the numbers and my rationale. Some of the rationale can be argued with, of course. But the Cleric and Druid cost a bunch whichI think is appropriate. The Paladin, Bard, and Rogue get some help which is also appropriate. Everyone else in the SRD is flirting with 190,000 which I think is fair, too. In the end - no, it isn't perfect. But it is definately useable and lets people create the exact character that they want to play![/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads