• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Picking a deity for a non-cleric PC

What is most important in picking a non-cleric deity/religion

• I pick the most prevalent/important deity in the campaign

Votes: 0 0.0%

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Interesting poll! I generally look at race first followed closely by alignment then, last of all, class/profession. I always pick a diety for my characters but their level of devotion ranges from mere lip service all the way to fanatical zealot. One of my players is very 'anti-religion' in real life and has a hard time RPing devotion to any god in the game. I was quite proud of him when he choose to multi-class his latest character as a cleric and has been playing him very well since then. He even said it was my example that inspired him to do it (multiclass) as I make it look fun. I must be doing something right! :)

Kuld

Explorer
I believe that your cultural aspects (same as racial IMO) would have a profound influence on your choice of deity, so that’s no.1. But I also think that your character would be more inclined to follow a deity that has a similar alignment or morals, so that’s no.2. Thirdly, who wouldn’t venerate the god of their craft (class)?

So, the answer is: Which deity best fits into all the aspects mentioned above…

Also, it is a polytheistic world; does a character need to choose a single patron deity? Most religious characters would probably worship as needed depending on circumstance.

So, maybe the answer is: All of the above…

[size=-3]Edit: Quick and dirty, especially for those who are unfamiliar with the campaign pantheon, regional/racial is a safe bet and makes the most sense IMO.
[/size]

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I've never picked a religion for a non-cleric character.... its not a decision not to, just not something I've ever considered integrating. If I was in a campaign where every character had to have a patron diety, I'd probably go based on temperment (distinct from allignment), then class, then race.

Li Shenron

Legend
Well to be honest, I almost always give my PCs a patron deity, but I do that quite early, because it helps me define who my PC is. So at the end it's common that I may first choose a patron deity and from that I decide other details of the character.

If I have to choose one thing that should always match or be at least close is alignment tho. I wouldn't want to explain how my PC worships an evil deity but behaves good or otherwise.

Voadam

Legend
Rarely pick a deity unless I have to such as in FR.

I even have a current PC in FR who is an offworlder and at risk of going to the faithless if killed.

the Jester

Legend
This needs to be multiple choice. :)

Also, I wish it had an "other" answer.

For me it depends... it could be any of the above, I suppose. I always like to have a patron god, and I'd say that most often I base it on class or profession- but sometimes it's based on alignment or race, and sometimes on interests beyond class, race or alignment.

Although I haven't yet done so, I could see playing a character with a given patron to get into a prc or a feat or something.

Mercule

Adventurer
"None of the above" or "varies".

It really depends on the character. I've had an evil assassin/ranger who worshipped Meilikki (sp?), a LG rogue worshipping Al'Akbar, an atheist/antitheist (literally believed gods did not exist) psion, some pantheonistic characters, Greyhawkers who worshipped Pelor, etc. Pretty much any of the options you list (except "rest of part"), I've used -- which is odd considering that I play only about 10% of the time.

Thanee

First Post
It surely depends a lot on the individual character, but I generally try to match alignment (at least the cleric's one-step-away), so I voted that.

Bye
Thanee

LogicsFate

First Post
It's all about personality,I thin about it and ask WWMCD*?

Or I base my PC around a god, yes even if it's not a cleric

*what would my character do?

Harmon

First Post
PCs that I have in play right now-

- Ranger- devoted follower of Ehlonna. He believes that she has done a few things to help him through his life.

- Wizard- dislikes the gods and worships none, because of the hardships he endured. "I can't believe in any god that would allow a child to go through what I went through." Though he respects clerics and those with religious beliefs.

- Cleric of Barroner Truesilver- 100% devoted follower. His wife is a cleric of Moradin.

- Cleric of Corellon Larethian, who has a level of Ranger. He seems to not be very religious and doesn’t spout any religion, unless its during turnings, pray for his spells, or in healing.

Its all about concept of the character at creation, or as time goes by. The development of their personality through play and interaction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads