• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E picking an adventure

gamefreak180

First Post
ok so what would be better/easier adventure to run hoard of the dragon queen/ rise of tiamat or princes of the apocalypse without the lost mines adventure?
also which one is a better story or more fun for the players from your experiences

just from what little i read it seems hoard is easier since it plops you right in while princes seems to have alot of set up i could be wrong though.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I haven't even read Princes, so my 2c might actually be worth a plug nickel.

Hoard / Tiamat requires a lot of DM set-up work between adventures. Hoard in particular suffers from being written at the same time as the Rulebook, so there are some nasty surprises waiting for you (like the group of L8 Assassins who pick a fight with your L4 group). In Tiamat the PCs are almost diplomat / mercenaries, so you have to think about how the NPCs will react once the PCs do their thing and move on. There are a lot of dangling plot threads that are just dropped between books, or totally overlooked (like the astronomical observatory in the swamp castle).

I've heard more good things about Princes. The adventure happens in a fairly close area, the PCs never become Movers And Shakers, and the book was written with a firm foundation of Game Rules in place.

I was a PC for the second half of Hoard and have DMed almost the first half of Tiamat (currently on hiatus due to night job).

ccs

41st lv DM
The 1st few chapters of Hoard are fine.
Get caught up in fighting off the Cults attack on Greenest, then tracking the raiders to their lair for some vengence & learn that there's bigger plans in motion.
The only thing I'd change here is to start the players in Greenest & then have the attack occur instead of the opening presented.

But then the adventure becomes a tedious site seeing loop of all the big named places & groups in the Sword coast region. It's as though the authors had a checklist they had to follow....

Remove ads