Piece of Mind: Thin Air

Bobitron

Explorer
Falkus said:
"I got my degree in mechanical engineering, back in Iowa."

"I studied in New England. I hear Iowa has nice schools." Kristen smiles at Hawk's story. "So you are a driver, huh? I just bought a new car. Audi S4. It's nice, but uses too much gas." Kristen wrinkles her nose in thought. "With prices how they are, I should have bought a Civic! But I like the luxury and space."

She goes back to her PDA.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
He sets down a sheaf of papers on the chair and walks toward you. “Good evening. I’m Dr. Peter Martin. Thanks for coming. I hope the trip out here wasn’t too rough.”

Kristen approaches the Doctor and extends her hand to meet his. "Dr. Kristen Alexander. The rain was a bit heavy for my tastes, but Mr. Slocum handled it well enough." She lets her gaze wander around the home. "This house is awesome. Much more room than my cramped place downtown."

The Shaman

First Post
Martin smiles and offers his hand. “Dr. Alexander, it’s a pleasure to meet you at last. I apologize for your unconventional first day with Martin Pharmacology.”

A housekeeper appears and Dr. Martin addresses the room. “Would anyone like a drink before we sit down?”

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
Martin smiles and offers his hand. “Dr. Alexander, it’s a pleasure to meet you at last. I apologize for your unconventional first day with Martin Pharmacology.”

"No problem. I'm pleased to have the invitation and the opportunity."

The Shaman said:
A housekeeper appears and Dr. Martin addresses the room. “Would anyone like a drink before we sit down?”

Kristen sits down, setting her laptop bag next to her on the floor. "Thank you, I would like a glass of water. With ice, please." She smiles at the housekeeper thankfully.

James Heard

Explorer
At the mention of the "guest house" Brandon's interest in his surroundings immediately perk up. Money, maybe not world-shaking Gates and Walton type money, but money still the same. Personal money maybe, not corporate, or worse still corporate money trying to pass itself off as personal. God, he hated when things started feeling sticky.

As the group enters the house and makes its introductions Brandon answers and nods at the right times, but he's distracted. Private home or rented for the occasion? How many people live here? Are there pictures on the wall of family, and where were they taken? He can't help being nosy. Nosy has kept him alive on too many occasions. It might have even landed him this job in the first place.

After a while he stops his nervous and not-so idle circuit of the room and takes a position standing near the door. He studies Dr. Martin and how he interacts with Kristen.

The Shaman said:
A housekeeper appears and Dr. Martin addresses the room. "Would anyone like a drink before we sit down?"
"I'm fine, no thanks," Brandon waves off the idea of drinking before business. He does gather a napkin and spit out his gum though, and places the resulting wad into his pocket so he doesn't have to move.

Falkus

Explorer
"Pleasure to meet you doctor," Hawk said, as he took in the room. Nice and expensive, he thought, that's always a good sign. Means my employer isn't afraid to throw around a lot of money.

"I'll pass on the drink, I like to keep a clear mind during business negotation," he continued, setting his bag down on the floor. He only had a few changes of clothes packed, everything else he owned was in his car. He hadn't brought it with him on the ferry because alternate transporation arrangements had already been made.

kmdietri

Explorer
"Good evening, It's nice to meet you."

Decker scans the room as he enters and makes his way to the far wall and peers out the doors at the patio and property beyond.

Originally Posted by The Shaman
A housekeeper appears and Dr. Martin addresses the room. "Would anyone like a drink before we sit down?"

"I'll have a bottled water, thanks"

The Shaman

First Post
“Thank you, Luz,” Dr. Martin says to the housekeeper as she returns to the kitchen.

Brandon’s eyes play about the room. The décor is tasteful, contemporary – a couple of original watercolor landscapes, a crystal bowl with river rock, several carved wooden pieces that look to be of American Indian origin. Over the mantle of the fireplace, upon which sits a brass and black lacquer pedestal clock with a vaguely Asian motif, is a large framed studio portrait of Dr. Martin and what appear to be his wife and son, a boy of around eight or nine years old – on an end table is another framed photo of the same threesome, dressed in ski clothes against a snowy backdrop. On the coffee table are a pair of books: Margaret Bourke-White : Photography of Design, 1927-1936 and Spruce Root Basketry of the Haida and Tlingit.

After exchanging greetings with the doctor, Decker wanders over to the glass patio doors. The rain and the night form an inky darkness that the light spilling from the room is unable to penetrate. From across the room Decker hears Dr. Martin’s voice. “Unfortunately there’s not much to see tonight,” he says. “During the day the view of the strait is fantastic.” Decker: Make a Spot check with a -4 circumstance penalty.

Luz, the housekeeper, returns with bottles of water and glasses with ice and serves them to the assembled group as Slocum enters the front door, carrying a brown leather briefcase. “Evening, Peter,” he says as he hangs his jacket from a rack next to the door. He smiles at Luz and takes a seat on one of the couches. “Shall we be seated?” he asks.

“First, I’d like to begin by thanking you all for coming this evening,” says the attorney, reaching into his briefcase and removing several manila folders. “Before we continue, I need to advise you that everything that we will be discussing tonight is of a confidential nature. To that end, I’ve prepared a standard non-disclosure agreement” – he passes a folder to each person as he speaks – “that I must ask you to sign and date.”

The agreement, one of two documents in the folder, is succinct: any work performed on behalf of Dr. Martin, Martin Pharmacology, its parent company, or its subsidiaries and contractors is considered proprietary, subjecting you to stringent legal penalties for disclosure to any third party without express written permission. It covers intellectual property and confidential discussions as well - it appears quite iron-clad. A pen is included in each folder.

To parse the provisions of the NDA, make a Knowledge (business) or Knowledge (civics) skill check (whichever is higher for your character), with +2 synergy bonus for 5 ranks in the complementary skill if applicable.

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
To parse the provisions of the NDA, make a Knowledge (business) or Knowledge (civics) skill check (whichever is higher for your character), with +2 synergy bonus for 5 ranks in the complementary skill if applicable.

Kristen glances through the document quickly. While she never took the time to study law or business, she head a knack for noticing things that seem out of place in these sort of contracts. Came mostly from dealing with suppliers out to squeeze the last cent of profit from a shipment of anti-virals.

OOC: Knowledge check untrained is an 8.

Everything looks in order. She signs the document, handing it back to Slocum with a nod.

Remove ads