• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piercers and charging

Allensh

Explorer
Since a Piercer's attack involves falling from great heights onto an enemy in pretty much a straight line, do they get to charge while doing this?

Allen

Assuming that you're the DM, and that you afford the players the same ability (dropping off of a roof, onto unsuspecting bad guys, for instance)... I'd say sure. Some folks might consider that a 'house rule', though.

Later
silver

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'd allow it. I do allow PCs to charge straight down (via a risky jump or a flight effect).

Cheers, -- N

mvincent

Explorer
Unless a creature has a flying speed, I generally consider trying to drop something on an opponent (including themselves) as a ranged attack. As such, ranged attacks cannot be charges.

Sejs

First Post
You can jump as part of a charge, so yes. I'd definitely allow it.

They're basically jumping straight down at you. Deliberate movement. Charging fits the bill just fine.

mvincent

Explorer
Sejs said:
You can jump as part of a charge
I don't believe that you can normally jump down during a charge (without a special feat), and falling directly down is generally treated differently (i.e. it is unreliant on strength for either distance or damage).

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Or create a feat called Death From Above, and give it to Piercers as a bonus feat.

I know that I have seen similar feats, though my books are not handy at the moment to come up with their official names.

The Auld Grump

Notmousse

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Or create a feat called Death From Above, and give it to Piercers as a bonus feat.

I know that I have seen similar feats, though my books are not handy at the moment to come up with their official names.

The Auld Grump
Actually I believe that's the name of the feat. Give me a moment to look it up.

Well, I was close. It's a tactical feat called roof jumper, one of it's techniques is to make downward jumping charge attacks with bonus damage. It's in Cityscape if you're interested.

Last edited:

mvincent

Explorer
Notmousse said:
Actually I believe that's the name of the feat. Give me a moment to look it up.

Well, I was close. It's a tactical feat called roof jumper,
"Battle Jump" from Unapproachable East (pg. 42) was the one I was thinking of.

Notmousse

First Post
mvincent said:
"Battle Jump" from Unapproachable East (pg. 42) was the one I was thinking of.
Sounds gimped compared to Roof Jumper, but I'll have to look it up.

I was wondering how such a feat hadn't come up before when I saw it in Cityscape.

Remove ads